The Student Room Group

JP Morgan will cut jobs if we leave the EU

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36443104

All the major corporations have made it clear- Brexit will mean fewer jobs for British people. Jamie Dimon is one of the biggest names on Wall Street and he's argued strongly for the EU- going as far to say that he has no choice but to reduce their UK headcount.

We will have a weaker financial services industry without the EU- pretty much all the major banks and professional services firms are saying this- yet somehow the Leave campaigners think that they know better than those leading these industries. We need to stay to keep jobs in the City and in other fields of work. There's no need to take this risk.

Fearmongering in its finest form.

Another Yank politian getting involved with exclusively UK concerns - as if Obama's snotty remarks weren't intrusive enough.

The only reason major corporations want us to remain in the EU is because it fills their coffer to the brim. They want to remain for selfish reasons. I laugh at those who think they have our interests in mind :lol:

The EU is ruining the very backbone of our market: small businesses.

Funny how banks can predict these crises, yet were unable to predict the 2008-13 recession. All the banks are doing is backing the status quo.

Voting Remain means you'd rather be a sheep.

I agree 10000000% with this:

Original post by Betelgeuse-
There you have it plebs. Those bankers who profit insanely from you are telling you what to do. They have no dog in this fight (Honest) and they really really care about your wages or job opportunities or whether you have to wait 2 days or 3 weeks for to see your GP
(edited 7 years ago)
"We need to stay to keep jobs in the City"

:lol:

Most of us are poor as **** and could not give a toss about the boys in the city.
Listen to global conglomerates with vested interests in their bottom line, not your bottom line.... dont look at actual British jobs lost directly to other countries because of the EU. Took me about 8 seconds to google these two.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/4936696.stm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cadbury-closes-british-factory-to-move-101746
Original post by Proximo
I wouldn't use JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs as a Remain campaigning tool. It will have the opposite effect, mainly because most people hate bankers and especially these two banks. Don't get me wrong, im a remainer but JP Morgan cutting jobs? Yea, most people won't see that as a bad thing.

The financial services industry is a major employer in the UK, this isn't just about 'bankers', this is about all the people supporting the industry in non revenue generative roles.. Their jobs will be gone and their livelihoods are at stake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James.Carnell
Exactly, it just makes me want to Vote Leave just to **** over the people who got cushy jobs.

Vast majority of financial services employees are not in 'cushy' jobs mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
Oooooo, which firm? What did you do you degree in? Is it fun/fulfilling?

I can't say what company, but it's one of the biggest players in the industry.

As a starting job after graduation it's been decent enough but i'm now in a position where i'm looking to move on.

Exactly, it just makes me want to Vote Leave just to **** over the people who got cushy jobs.

You do realise that not everyone who works at places like JP Morgan is an investment banker on six figures, right? You've got areas like HR, talent acquisition, marketing, risk, customer service, administration, catering, IT support etc all full of people who you can hardly describe as having "cushy jobs" and who will be first in the firing line when there are job cuts to be made.

You sound very bitter.
Original post by sr90

As a starting job after graduation it's been decent enough but i'm now in a position where i'm looking to move on.

You do realise that not everyone who works at places like JP Morgan is an investment banker on six figures, right? You've got areas like HR, talent acquisition, marketing, risk, customer service, administration, catering, IT support etc all full of people who you can hardly describe as having "cushy jobs" and who will be first in the firing line when there are job cuts to be made.

You sound very bitter.

Don't care. I am northern and the whole world of banking is totally distant.
Original post by Princepieman
The financial services industry is a major employer in the UK, this isn't just about 'bankers', this is about all the people supporting the industry in non revenue generative roles.. Their jobs will be gone and their livelihoods are at stake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great point... Except that's not how the public is going to see it

This is how the public will see it:

Remain campaign: 7000 jobs in JP Morgan will be lost
Public: JP Morgan? Bankers? Losing their jobs? VOTE LEAVE!!

So, like i said, it's a legitimate point, but in the vast world of politics, you shouldn't use it to support the remain campaign. You can try, but let's face it, they dislike bankers too much to care about what happens to them.

I'm not cold hearted, I'm a realist.
Original post by sr90

You sound very bitter.

That's great, but if the public see a chance to hit back at a bank like JP Morgan, they won't mind.
Original post by Proximo
Great point... Except that's not how the public is going to see it

This is how the public will see it:

Remain campaign: 7000 jobs in JP Morgan will be lost
Public: JP Morgan? Bankers? Losing their jobs? VOTE LEAVE!!

So, like i said, it's a legitimate point, but in the vast world of politics, you shouldn't use it to support the remain campaign. You can try, but let's face it, they dislike bankers too much to care about what happens to them.

I'm not cold hearted, I'm a realist.

This is why our politics sucks.. People are too lazy to use their brains.

I also find it rich when others hate on finance, law etc, when the UK's GDP is mostly composed of services based industries. Macro Econ 101 should be mandatory in all schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES, and hence why democracy is so overrated.

You can't trust the public with every decision
Original post by Proximo
That's great, but if the public see a chance to hit back at a bank like JP Morgan, they won't mind.

I don't dispute that for one second.
Original post by Proximo

Do you support the idea that we are even having a referendum? I'm writing a piece on whether direct democracy such as referendums work and the more I read, the less I think they do.
Reply 33
Original post by Betelgeuse-
There you have it plebs. Those bankers who profit insanely from you are telling you what to do. They have no dog in this fight (Honest) and they really really care about your wages or job opportunities or whether you have to wait 2 days or 3 weeks for to see your GP

Well, I do want to work in banking in the future, so I have a vested interest here lol
Original post by Trapz99
Well, I do want to work in banking in the future, so I have a vested interest here lol

haha well if you believe them... vote in
Original post by Proximo

Original post by BasicMistake
Do you support the idea that we are even having a referendum? I'm writing a piece on whether direct democracy such as referendums work and the more I read, the less I think they do.

You only need to look at boatymcboatface to see why democracy sucks ass. These commoners need to be ruled, they dont know whats good for them
Reply 36

I also find it rich when others hate on finance, law etc, when the UK's GDP is mostly composed of services based industries. Macro Econ 101 should be mandatory in all schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my school we do actually have this lesson called Global Perspectives where the teacher literally talks about how the world works and one of the topics is 'why do some jobs earn more than others?' And 'How is greed good for the world?'
Original post by sainsburys wraps
This place is hardly full of pro-EU people, the Brexiters make their opinions heard much more than those who want to remain.

And I find it funny that everyone is scared about marxist/communist regimes like they're the enemy, communism is a half decent idea, its just in practice it doesn't work as history has shown us.

Lastly, that cute little photo you sent us seems to have more white people in it than ethnics, all I see is one bearded ethnic and about 10 white males

When did they let you out of the asylum?
Reply 38
Don't care. I am northern and the whole world of banking is totally distant.

Mate, the financial services industry is one of our biggest exports and it generates a lot of tax revenue, as well as the work itself helping the economy by helping companies to grow and develop. You can say that you're distant from it but they're more important to you than you think.
Reply 39
Original post by Proximo
I wouldn't use JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs as a Remain campaigning tool. It will have the opposite effect, mainly because most people hate bankers and especially these two banks. Don't get me wrong, im a remainer but JP Morgan cutting jobs? Yea, most people won't see that as a bad thing.

You just implied human beings are stupid.

I hate bankers, too, but generally speaking they create a lot of economy. And the taxes that come with that...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending