The Student Room Group

Who was Britain's Greatest Prime Minister?

Poll

Who was Britain's best prime minister?

Out of:
Harold Wilson, Tony Blair, Winston Churchill, Thacher, Gordon Brown.
Who is the best?

For me its Tony Blair.

Scroll to see replies

Churchill by a mile. Helped defeat fascism and set up the EU.

Blair and Thatcher (although I disagree strongly with some of their decisions were also decent PMs before the end of their premierships.
Blair was mostly successful because he continued on with much of Thatcher's policies.

Thatcher was successful because she dared take some very bold moves to solve problems that needed solving.

The rest, Wilson wasn't a good PM, he had the opportunity to bring in major reforms that was needed but instead opted to do nothing, I suppose in a way it was best that he had done nothing because anything he did became an absolute disaster, think British Leyland, the reason why Britain today no longer have any home-based mass-production of automobiles. You could say that Thatcher ruined the mining industry but Wilson ruined MUCH if not all of British manufacturing industry.

Churchill, he was a good war time prime minister but in peace time he wasn't that fantastic a leader.

Gordon Brown?? "I have eliminated boom and bust" LOL

David Cameron? A good PM in modern times but the reality of it is nothing abnormally special. Should be doing a LOT better considering his privileged background and currently strong majority in Parliament.
Attlee
Winston because I love his name
We have had this debate before and I have argued Clement Attlee, as under his time as Prima Minister the NHS was created.
Probably either Churchill or Thatcher.
The poll and the title of the thread are different.

The best PM I'd say was Attlee. Greatest however..probably Churchill?
Mags, obviously. :wink:
Original post by ivybridge
Probably either Churchill or Thatcher.

omg thatcher? horrible woman, ruined the country for working class people
Where's the Gladstone option?
Original post by whitetack

lol

I dont think she did. And I really admire her.
Original post by ivybridge
I dont think she did. And I really admire her.

she destroyed britains manufacturing industry almost single handed and created massive unemployment, brought in poll tax, and supported capital punishment!

also i'm surprised you admire her given what her government did to stifle gay rights
she destroyed britains manufacturing industry almost single handed and created massive unemployment, brought in poll tax, and supported capital punishment!

also i'm surprised you admire her given what her government did to stifle gay rights

no she didn't bring in poll tax because the degenerate loosers refused to pay , if it wasn't for thatcher i dare to think the situation we would find ourself in now
Reply 15
Original post by Ambitious1999
Out of:
Who is the best?

For me its Tony Blair.
QUOT
Absolute hero. Iraq. Euro. EU. GREAT
Thatcher one point away from beating Churchill?

Wtf is wrong with people? It's like voting the Go Compare man over Shakespeare.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Out of:
Who is the best?

For me its Tony Blair.

I really hope this is sarcasm.
Apologies if it is as I sometimes can't tell.
GLadstone and Attlee should be here, possibly Macmillan.
Original post by salty670
if it wasn't for thatcher i dare to think the situation we would find ourself in now

i think you mean dread not dare, and yes imagine what the country would be like, people earning a decent wage, no zero hours contracts, manufacturing industry still going strong producing first rate British products, what a horrible thought

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending