The Student Room Group

Emergency Care Assistant test advice....

Hi Folks,

I've applied for the position of ECA after years of working in Retail Management, I've completed the application form and was sent a questionnaire and received good feed back, hopefully my next email will be for the assessment tests.

Anyhow.....I took my GCSEs over 25 years ago and haven't proof of them, would that matter ? I got a C in Maths and a B in English, however my maths has, somewhat, gone down hill! :rolleyes:

I'm aware there are tests before they even consider interviewing you, I've a feeling I would fail any maths test now! Anyone on here taken them?

I really want his career change, it's something I'm very passionate about, any help appreciated :smile:
Original post by sjay71
Hi Folks,

I've applied for the position of ECA after years of working in Retail Management, I've completed the application form and was sent a questionnaire and received good feed back, hopefully my next email will be for the assessment tests.

Anyhow.....I took my GCSEs over 25 years ago and haven't proof of them, would that matter ? I got a C in Maths and a B in English, however my maths has, somewhat, gone down hill! :rolleyes:

I'm aware there are tests before they even consider interviewing you, I've a feeling I would fail any maths test now! Anyone on here taken them?

I really want his career change, it's something I'm very passionate about, any help appreciated :smile:

Sorry I can't provide specific advice about the ECA test, but generally employers don't ask for proof of qualifications especially if they were that long ago as most people have lost their certificates by then. These sorts of admissions maths tests are usually just basic skills tests, are around 15-20 questions long and test your ability in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Sometimes it will also include ratios, fractions and percentages. You'll be allowed plenty of scrap paper so it doesn't really matter how you work the answer out or if you use a weird method as these won't be marked. I'd advise using any extra time to check your answers using a different method, or by working backwards from the answer to see if you get to the numbers in the question (if that makes sense!). BBC Bitesize is really good for basic maths skills and there are loads of SATs level questions online to practice.
Reply 2
Original post by sjay71
Hi Folks,

Different services will have different tests and different requirements. So asking what you need is impossible to answer. But if you know your maths is weak then improve it. You will need to be able to do basic calculations.

You'll also need to revise the highway code, know how to read a map, have basic English skills, might be tested on spelling etc.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice, I have been on the BBC Bitesize maths page refreshing my maths, also I've been swotting up on the highway code, i've been driving for 27 years and it's amazing how much I'd forgot!!

Thankyou again :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sjay71
Thanks for the advice, I have been on the BBC Bitesize maths page refreshing my maths, also I've been swotting up on the highway code, i've been driving for 27 years and it's amazing how much I'd forgot!!

If you've been driving that long you'll probably already have your C1 licence entitlement, but check because you will need this before you start the job.
Reply 5
Original post by sjay71

I've sent you a PM.
Reply 6
Original post by sjay71
Hi Folks,

Hi there! how did you get on ? I've just resat my maths and came out with a c but I'm still bricking it! how was the test? any advice ?
Hi there.I've applied for Eca role.Any advice on the numeracy test please and what to expect..Cheers.Ian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending