The Student Room Group

Why did Scotland mostly vote Remain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cookie123456789
Because migrants don't go to Scotland (who would want to go to Scotland) so they did not have to worry about immigration.

They don't go to Wales either, and Wales voted to leave. Talk about biting the hand that feeds considering Wales depended on the EU.
Reply 41
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Well because Scotland isn't in the EU anymore. They're not going to be withdrawing from an EU nation (and thus withdrawing from the EU) and rejoining as would have been the plan that the EU rejected two years ago

Ok well I guess we will see. I have nothing against Scotand leaving the UK and joining the EU if that's what they choose and if the EU will let them.
Reply 43
Original post by Platopus
It was said during the Scottish independence referendum. Look it up yourself.

Let me put it less delicately then. No, it wasn't. The EU did not say that an independent Scotland wouldn't be allowed to join the EU.
Original post by Platopus
Yes, well done

The chancellor of Germany also said they wanted to exterminate Jews. Thats still relevant right?
Original post by offhegoes
Let me put it less delicately then. No, it wasn't. The EU did not say that an independent Scotland wouldn't be allowed to join the EU.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560630/Now-Eurocrats-wade-Scottish-vote-Barroso-says-extremely-difficult-independent-Scotland-join-EU.html
Reply 46
Original post by bolly_mad
Doesn't matter. The Scots are going to go their own way now. Soon after the Northern Irish too. This day will mark the beginning of the end for the EU and the UK.

I just saw one guy write in a Facebook post that this is the start of Britain's own partition process and karma for partitioning the Indian subcontinent :lol:

If you want to be pedantic the president of the European Commision said something along the lines of it being extremely difficult if not impossible.
Original post by College_Dropout
The chancellor of Germany also said they wanted to exterminate Jews. Thats still relevant right?

Sometimes I despair
Reply 49

So the EU has no issue with Scotland joining, but he speculates it might be difficult to get the other members to agree.

Not only does that differ from what you said, it is also now much less relevant given these altered circumstances for a second indyref.
Original post by nucdev
I just saw one guy write in a Facebook post that this is the start of Britain's own partition process and karma for partitioning the Indian subcontinent :lol:

Ha. Yeah, maybe.
they obviously have a brain unlike the majority here. despite having to respect the vote now as its something we have to live with, i'm not happy with it. I feel as if many were misinformed and given empty promises instead of a certain future. Scotland voted to stay in because they wanted stability, not this.

I only hope now that the government and this country will not let any of us down.
Because they wanted to remain in the EU.
Reply 53
Mass immigration hasn't affected a lot of the rural areas that voted leave either. The level of fear about immigration has hardly correlated with the level of immigration that area saw.

Many market towns have seen a strong immigration from Eastern Europe.

I say it again, but Leave highest score (75%) was in Boston, a city with one of the largest proportions of Eastern Europeans in England.

Original post by Science_Girl
I assume I am correct in thinking that most immigrants go to cities such as Manchester, Newcastle and London, all areas which (if I recall correctly) voted remain. I don't think that this is a particularly strong point after all.

Only the posh city centre of these towns voted Remain. Suburbs like Salford, St Helens, or Gateshead voted Leave. Considering that even cities like Bradford and Birmingham voted Leave, it is safe to assume that many immigrants there voted Leave too.

In England, the map shows a "rich vs poor" split.
Original post by Science_Girl
I assume I am correct in thinking that most immigrants go to cities such as Manchester, Newcastle and London, all areas which (if I recall correctly) voted remain. I don't think that this is a particularly strong point after all.

Not all of London voted to remain. Parts of Yorkshire that have been decimated by mass immigration voted to leave. Nice of you to also not include Birmingham which is incredibly diverse. Can you tell me what they vote for? Leave. Enough said. People have had enough up and down the entire country.

Mass immigration hasn't affected a lot of the rural areas that voted leave either. The level of fear about immigration has hardly correlated with the level of immigration that area saw.

Its affected enough. Birmingham voted to leave. That says a lot.
Reply 55
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
Scotland wants independence any which way it can hence they voted to Remain. That and the fact that most of them are Freemasons.

That is the circa 2.93% that are Freemasons then, interesting definition of mostly.

Interesting you can so readilydistill the motives of all of us up here, we all were so desperate to get independence it was the only thing motivating us to vote Remain. Really!

To be clear I would not take a Remain vote as a vote for independence as that is far from the truth, it was what it said on the label, a vote for Remain, nothing more nothing less.

Given the last Independence referendum quite likely was significantly influenced by the uncertainties of the economic case it is a little surprising to imagine that with an even more uncertain case the Scots would currently vote for independence.

Last time we had issues re the budget, a central bank, a currency, division of assets to consider, we still have all these but would also now have cross border trade issues, maybe tariffs and the ever so slight problem that our major trading partner (rest of UK) is likely to be outwith an EU that apparently we wish to be in and is the reason you are saying we would be having an independence referendum. Curious.

I think maybe we will be a little more sensible and let you clear up your EU issues etc before we start trying to disentangle our legal system from yours (at least it already has very distinct areas) and striking out for new horizons.

Personally speaking when everything is already aflame I think we may just possibly stand back to await you getting the fire at least slightly under control.

Finally whilst the SNP may politically push for the right to have a referendum I suspect they will wait for more auspicious times to hold it, if I was a betting person 2020/2021 is a likely timetable once the mess has at least started to be cleared from the political landscape, the very last thing the SNP want is to lose another independence referendum, every time they lose means it will be more difficult to push for another.

Then again what do I know, I only live here.
A lot of Scotland still want independence from the UK. That won't work outside of the EU, so staying would have been their best option for leaving the UK.

As it stands, they'll want to negotiate a deal with the EU if they try and leave the UK.
So the EU has no issue with Scotland joining, but he speculates it might be difficult to get the other members to agree.

Not only does that differ from what you said, it is also now much less relevant given these altered circumstances for a second indyref.

If it differs from what I said, it doesn't differ from what I meant and I fail to see how it is less relevant but I don't want to argue
Original post by NewcastleFresher
I grew up in Bradford, only going Newcastle for uni

A lot of my Asian/black friends have said they experienced racism in Scotland tho, particularly Glasgow :frown:

Asian and born and bred in Edinburgh, Scotland, and I study here for university too. Grew up in a poor and not so flourishing area where there was some racism (and ignorance), but that's the same wherever you go (e.g. Glasgow and London etc). Generally, I never see discrimination, however.
I see so much nonsensical answers on this thread and this is why I usually don't care about people's opinions on here. Do you people know any Scottish people? Do you watch documentaries at all? It's primarily because Scotland has an "aging population." So there's this unbiased if not blind and desperate desire for EU foreigners to come and youth up the place while bringing hopefully modern skills.

That's the reason. That is literally it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending