The Student Room Group

I'm an 18 year old child

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Yes I do I live in a city I live in Manchester, we moved here when I was around 4 or 5 so I've been here for a long time, I know where all the essential places are, but if someone asked me to meet them somewhere in town that wasn't the arndale I would have no idea how to get there. All the places I need to go like school or the supermarket are all within walking distance. I will practice taking the bus and tram in the holidays, I'm just so scared that I'll get lost or end up somewhere and have no idea how to get home. Thanks :smile:

Use Google Maps! I use it all the time when I'm in cities I'm not used to. It'll tell you what exact route to take, what number the bus is, where the bus stop is, how long it'll take, etc etc. Honestly, everyone feels like this when they're first starting out, you're just starting a little later than most. I remember feeling the same kinds of anxiety when I first started taking the bus when I was 12/13, and I've moved around a lot by myself now, and I don't feel scared about public transport anymore, even in cities abroad. Just remember, if you managed to get a bus THERE, there will definitely be one going back home haha. It's basically impossible that you'll get so lost that you don't know where you are.

I don't live in Manchester, but after some googling, I found the 'Young Person Bus Saver' which is about ~£13 for 7 days and gets you on any bus in the Greater Manchester area without having to buy individual tickets. Might be worth looking into if you're going to be a uni student after the summer. (There's a student one that's the same price).

Here: http://www.systemonetravelcards.co.uk/travelcards/details/young-person-bus-saver-weekly

For trains and trams btw, there will most likely be ticket machines at stations that you buy your ticket from, and depending on your route, might be worth the money to get the tram add-on, if you'll be using it regularly.

Also if you're looking for a job, your best bet for part-time jobs in retail/hospitality is looking around your area as a lot of places will advertise in windows. You should write a CV with any extracurriculars you've done that might make you more employable, but everyone has to start somewhere right? I got my first job by emailing a hotel that had (luckily for me) just had a waitress quit the day before. It's mostly luck with that sort of thing. Indeed might have some things, so might Gumtree.
I can definitely relate expect for the age.i'm way younger.
Original post by LannaBanana
Use Google Maps! I use it all the time when I'm in cities I'm not used to. It'll tell you what exact route to take, what number the bus is, where the bus stop is, how long it'll take, etc etc. Honestly, everyone feels like this when they're first starting out, you're just starting a little later than most. I remember feeling the same kinds of anxiety when I first started taking the bus when I was 12/13, and I've moved around a lot by myself now, and I don't feel scared about public transport anymore, even in cities abroad. Just remember, if you managed to get a bus THERE, there will definitely be one going back home haha. It's basically impossible that you'll get so lost that you don't know where you are.

I don't live in Manchester, but after some googling, I found the 'Young Person Bus Saver' which is about ~£13 for 7 days and gets you on any bus in the Greater Manchester area without having to buy individual tickets. Might be worth looking into if you're going to be a uni student after the summer. (There's a student one that's the same price).

Here: http://www.systemonetravelcards.co.uk/travelcards/details/young-person-bus-saver-weekly

For trains and trams btw, there will most likely be ticket machines at stations that you buy your ticket from, and depending on your route, might be worth the money to get the tram add-on, if you'll be using it regularly.

Also if you're looking for a job, your best bet for part-time jobs in retail/hospitality is looking around your area as a lot of places will advertise in windows. You should write a CV with any extracurriculars you've done that might make you more employable, but everyone has to start somewhere right? I got my first job by emailing a hotel that had (luckily for me) just had a waitress quit the day before. It's mostly luck with that sort of thing. Indeed might have some things, so might Gumtree.

Thankyou so much:redface:
Original post by tamil fever
I can definitely relate expect for the age.i'm way younger.

How old are you?
This is such an embarrassing thing to talk about but all my friends are independent and are becoming adults yet I can't do anything by myself. Part of it stems from my over protective parents, they don't let me do anything on my own (like taking the bus, go out unless they drop me etc). And part of it stems from me being so shy. Everytime I'm invited out or asked to go somewhere I always decline. I do not know how to take the bus or tram. I can't tell my friends this as its so embarrassing. I walk to sixth form everyday but I'll be starting uni next year and it's too far to walk. I also really want to get a job but whenever I bring it up my parents say I'm not allowed and I also have no idea how to go about it without their help. What can I do, how do you even take the bus/ tram and how are you supposed to apply for jobs????!!?? :frown:

In order to find your true self, you must leave home :smile:
This is such an embarrassing thing to talk about but all my friends are independent and are becoming adults yet I can't do anything by myself. Part of it stems from my over protective parents, they don't let me do anything on my own (like taking the bus, go out unless they drop me etc). And part of it stems from me being so shy. Everytime I'm invited out or asked to go somewhere I always decline. I do not know how to take the bus or tram. I can't tell my friends this as its so embarrassing. I walk to sixth form everyday but I'll be starting uni next year and it's too far to walk. I also really want to get a job but whenever I bring it up my parents say I'm not allowed and I also have no idea how to go about it without their help. What can I do, how do you even take the bus/ tram and how are you supposed to apply for jobs????!!?? :frown:

My parents are like this too, they rarely let me go out anywhere. Maybe try accepting to go out and see if you like it, I think the bus and tram thing depends on where you live. I live in London and I have a child's zip oyster 11-15, even though I'm 17 this year. Buses and trams are free and trains are cheaper than for an adult. I have to pay 85p to get to school and 85p to get back. This card runs out I think in year 12 september, after than you can get another student card with reduced fares. The bus and tram would start to cost money and I think the cost for the train goes up but its not as bad as the adult one. This is for London but I think its different in other places. I think you can apply for a job without your parents permission when you are 18.
How old are you?

4 yrs younger:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending