The Student Room Group

Lancaster or York for maths

Which university has the better maths department? I have Lancaster as my insurance but I am considering York as an alternative to Lancaster, they seem to have similar entry requirements and both look likely to be in clearing.

Has anyone attended either of these universities to study maths? The maths department at Lancaster looks better from my research but from what I've read York has a better reputation and better graduate prospects.

Would be nice to get some opinions from the TSR folk, especially if you attend these unis :biggrin:
Get rekt m8
Reply 2
Original post by Katiee224
Which university has the better maths department? I have Lancaster as my insurance but I am considering York as an alternative to Lancaster, they seem to have similar entry requirements and both look likely to be in clearing.

Has anyone attended either of these universities to study maths? The maths department at Lancaster looks better from my research but from what I've read York has a better reputation and better graduate prospects.

Would be nice to get some opinions from the TSR folk, especially if you attend these unis :biggrin:

York of course

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by IYGB
York of course

Spoiler

What's wrong with Lancaster? :blushing:
Reply 4
What's wrong with Lancaster? :blushing:

Not a serious place in my opinion
Reply 5
Original post by IYGB
Not a serious place in my opinion

How so?
Reply 6
How so?

What do you mean how so?
I personally do not rate the place
Reply 7
Original post by IYGB
What do you mean how so?
I personally do not rate the place

Well it consistently performs well in university league tables (I'm aware these are taken with a pinch of salt but still note worthy) and seems like a respected institution from what I've read.

Why would you personally rate it so poorly compared to York?

I've got conflicted interests here as I did a master's degree in statistics at Lancaster and I now work at York! They are both good departments and you'll get a decent education at either. Lancaster is particularly strong in statistics, so if you think you'll be going that way in the future I'd nudge you towards there; York is strong in financial mathematics and, perhaps, has a stronger and wider non-stats coverage.

They are both campus universities, but York is a more integrated with the town - and York is a very very nice city to live in!
Reply 9
Original post by Gregorius
I've got conflicted interests here as I did a master's degree in statistics at Lancaster and I now work at York! They are both good departments and you'll get a decent education at either. Lancaster is particularly strong in statistics, so if you think you'll be going that way in the future I'd nudge you towards there; York is strong in financial mathematics and, perhaps, has a stronger and wider non-stats coverage.

They are both campus universities, but York is a more integrated with the town - and York is a very very nice city to live in!

That's interesting, what do you do at York if you don't mind me asking? Also, what are the factors that led you to choose to study at Lancaster?:smile: I am not 100% sure what I want to go into when I finish yet :colondollar:

I like the look of both campus' but I'm not sure which course would leave me with better prospects when I graduate.

I like the look of both campus' but I'm not sure which course would leave me with better prospects when I graduate.

Consider the environment in which you will be living for three years, not just the first.
That's interesting, what do you do at York if you don't mind me asking?

I do mathematical and statistical modelling in Cancer Epidemiology. So I'm not in the maths department, but out there applying stochastic techniques to understanding what's going on in various cancers.

Also, what are the factors that led you to choose to study at Lancaster?:smile:

I was taking a career break (in middle age) to do an MSc in statistics, as I had identified that as the new direction I wanted to go in. So I identified the university departments with particularly strong stats programmes (Warwick, Cambridge, Oxford, Lancaster, Shefield, Reading, Bristol) and then looked at the cost of living (and available scholarships) and the quality of life for the rest of the family. Lancaster basically won hands down as it has an excellent stats faculty, I got full funding for the course (tuition + maintenance from the EPSRC) and we were able to live in a gorgeous part of the Yorkshire Dales!

I am not 100% sure what I want to go into when I finish yet :colondollar:

Then I would be inclined to favour York over Lancaster - I think the course will offer more choice and options - but the difference is not huge and you may be swung by different considerations. Both will give you a good education and career prospects.

Good luck!
I'd say york as having been to the open days and met lectures i feel like the teaching standard is very high
Hello,

If you would like to read the experiences of a current Maths student at York, Grace has a blog here:

http://blogs.york.ac.uk/student-voices/author/ges512/

You can also use the Post a Reply section to ask Grace questions about her time at York.

I hope this helps?

Mark
That's interesting, what do you do at York if you don't mind me asking? Also, what are the factors that led you to choose to study at Lancaster?:smile: I am not 100% sure what I want to go into when I finish yet :colondollar:

Its unlikely one uni will give you better career prospects than the other- its too close between them. For the most part its up to you to make yourself employable- get work experience, go to careers workshops/talks e.c.t to learn how to put together a good application and perform well at assessment centres and or interviews.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending