The Student Room Group

How the heck do people my age and younger afford to buy houses?!

Scroll to see replies

Save save save, in order to get on property ladder.

Live at home, avoid London and south east, houses are generally cheaper up north.

Also get your prents to cosign or lend money for mortgage.

Ask your parents to remortgage to get equity on their property out to lend to you to buy a house...
Reply 41
Saving up, getting mortgage and help from parents. Depending on where you live, you can get a decent place for 120-150k. You usually need to pay 10% and rest you get from mortgage. So you need to have saved up 12-15k. My sister bought a house with her partner recently, she's 25. My dad took out a loan for her so she'd have enough for the 10% and they have a 20 year mortgage.

In the end after the huge deposit, it's just like paying rent, except that you own the place and can do whatever you want with it.
Original post by samina_ay
Savings and being tight with your money..

I agree.
I havent saved up as much as i have by spending it.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
This week 3 of my Facebook friends have posted the nauseating "finally got my keys" status. They're all between the ages of 24 and 27, I know none of them earn more than £25k and the houses they've bought look pretty decent. How in gods name have they done it? I'll be lucky to be on the property ladder by the time I'm 40 - I have absolutely no savings, very little chance of family inheritance, no rich boyfriend. sigh.*

- Leg up from parents
- They have jobs in the first place

Many people I know here in the north east are struggling to even get a job (months of unemployment, adult children in their 20s all living at home with mum and dad).

I agree, it is nauseating.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I don't mean to be the nasty guy of TSR, but we have 5% deposit mortgages, if you don't have say 20k of savings by the time you're 30, you're doing something badly wrong.

Worst case scenario you and your partner pool 10k each, very realistic for most people.

Except many people can't even get jobs even with 2.1's in top courses at red bricks and ftse100/250 experience. Then again, people I know in this situation are ethnic minorities.
Original post by James.Carnell
Except many people can't even get jobs even with 2.1's in top courses at red bricks and ftse100/250 experience. Then again, people I know in this situation are ethnic minorities.

I highly doubt that, you could save that much up on 20k per year seriously.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I highly doubt that, you could save that much up on 20k per year seriously.

The job market is **** at the moment. Getting a job is a problem.

When you are an ethnic minority going for a job, the person who is white and has a 3rd class degree in an irrelevant subject gets the job. While you with the 2.1 and all the experience necessary does not.

In general I am tired of this, I am heavily considering emigrating.

When you are an ethnic minority going for a job, the person who is white and has a 3rd class degree in an irrelevant subject gets the job. While you with the 2.1 and all the experience necessary does not.

This is mostly assumptions...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because obviously employers are going to want to make less profit just to protect White people :rofl:

:wavey:
Original post by Princepieman
This is mostly assumptions...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assumption? The guy had a 3rd class degree and his presentation was on horoscopes. . .
The other person they employed was a lady who had just got fired from a call centre.

Come on, this was for a graduate role at a semi-reputable company.
Assumption? The guy had a 3rd class degree and his presentation was on horoscopes. . .
The other person they employed was a lady who had just got fired from a call centre.

Come on, this was for a graduate role at a semi-reputable company.

Alright then, anecdote with a sample size of 1. Even then, you're probably missing out a lot of variables that went into the decision from your position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Alright then, anecdote with a sample size of 1. Even then, you're probably missing out a lot of variables that went into the decision from your position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gaslightinggg.

This. Where are you considering emigrating to?
Original post by Silver Arrow
This. Where are you considering emigrating to?

Hong Kong, also considering Germany.
Hong Kong, also considering Germany.

Which minority ethnic group are you part of?
What doesn't help are parents, the media and even schools who tell young people you'll never be able to buy a house. Thus they will not save enough money, or won't be saving money for the right things.
How much did you save up each month and how long did it take plus how much was the deposit for your house?
It does annoy me when I hear people say that it isn't expensive to buy a house because you can just buy somewhere cheap up north. Around 25 million people live in southern England, they can't all move up there!

Original post by NX172
My first grad job only paid 23k. Lived at home, didn't spend much money at all. Had about 10k of savings from previous jobs and freelancing Software from age 16 to Graduation, bought my first house at 22. So I suppose my biggest tip would be to just keep your costs and expenditures down. Probably easy to say in my case, but even among the 3 other graduates that I started working with, who had to rent, 2 have also bought their own homes within 3 years of saving. I don't see what's so hard. Oh and if you can, don't drive, it really eats into your saving potential.

But not everyone can live at home. I certainly won't be able to. It doesn't matter how frugal you are, if half your income is spent on rent every month then you're unlikely to be able to save a big enough deposit to buy. And of course, the longer it takes you to save, the more expensive houses become.

Original post by Alfissti
How I managed to afford my first house at age 23?

While I bought it at 1/3 off the market value due to my late granddad selling it to me, it was still by no means cheap to buy, it was similar in price to a house in the North but being in Oxfordshire.

And people who work in Oxfordshire that don't have a wealthy family member willing to sell them a cheap house? How will they afford it if even you only just managed to afford 1/3 of market value?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I know someone who is 22 and about a year after graution has a house...

They live in North West, so houses are cheaper, she has a good grad job in some programming and software development role, skills that I guess are in demand and there is actually an industry for. So will have a good income and she has a boyfriend so two incomes.

She has also bought a second hand Audi :facepalm:

Damn, I'm doing the wrong degree I think
By making sacrifices.

I agree with @Reue . You need to reevaluate your budget and priorities. Because being unable to even keep a grand saved shows something is not right with your budget and you should be lowering your cost of living where possible. This often requires sacrifices, as I said above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending