The Student Room Group

Work experience help!!

I am really interested in doing psychology at Uni next year (sept 2017) but I currently feel as if I do not have enough experience within the field to stand out from the crowd, does anybody have any recommendations on how and where I can get further experience?
Original post by emzo14
I am really interested in doing psychology at Uni next year (sept 2017) but I currently feel as if I do not have enough experience within the field to stand out from the crowd, does anybody have any recommendations on how and where I can get further experience?

work experience is a waste of time, it is nothing like the real job
Reply 2
Original post by theBranicAc

Thanks for nothing :smile:
Original post by emzo14

your welcome:smile:

Well that's just wrong
Original post by emzo14

I'm not sure where you can get it, but once you've made a list of a few areas first write an email saying a bit a bit yourself and what you want to do there. If you get no response then ring up instead
I want to do medicine too. Its quite hard to find experience in hospital,GP because you have to be at leat 18.
Have you done any work experience? :biggrin:
How old r u? They reject me at hospitals. IM 16 :frown:
Wider reading at this stage is better for your uni application.*
Reply 9

Original post by emzo14

They have a point; there is little you can do pre-university that reflects the actual career. Too many budding psychologists worry about getting directly relevant experience as soon as possible.

However, working with children (e.g. in schools) is a generic example that some people will try to relate to social/developmental psychology, but school's almost finished. Regardless, it's not a vocational course, so mentioning extra reading in your PS, etc, could be more beneficial.

If you're determined though, just go to a volunteering website and find some opportunities there (e.g. befriending).
I really wouldn't worry about work experience until you're 18 and at university (at which point, I'd try and get a paid job which provides experience - though I wouldn't discourage you from doing voluntary work too). You will be highly unlikely to be cleared to work with people until you are 18 due to safeguarding concerns. We're due to get a volunteer here in the next month or so who is under 18, we're going to have a real problem finding meaningful work for them in which they do not even see patients details. The reality is that they will be doing glorified admin work (even the undergrad volunteer who is due to start is going to be typing numbers into a computer).

Volunteering with befriending services, Youth Offending Services, homeless charities, older adults homes, etc will provide far more practical experience that will actually teach you meaningful skills.

And as has been said, focusing on your wider reading at the stage adds more to your application.
Hi!

If you are finding it tricky to find work experience - we can help! Gap Medics offers placements for aspiring healthcare professionals in real hospital settings - and the good news is that you can join us from being 16+.

You can find out loads more about our programmes here: www.gapmedics.co.uk and you can download our handy 'Getting into Medical School' guide (which includes help on how to secure work experience!) at: http://www.gapmedics.co.uk/downloads

If you have any questions at all we are happy to help, just give us a call on 0191 603 1111 or email [email protected]

Good luck!
just read a book - thats enough
I'm looking for someone to help with a review paper im writing, as i need a second person to do a categorisation task to evaluate reliability.

Quick Reply

Latest