The Student Room Group

Failing the year, didn't disclose extenuating circumstances.

Hello everyone, I find myself in a pretty horrible situation right now where I havr completely messed up my first year. The first semester went great, but around February I started to gamble away more and more of my money and suddenly it became a massive problem. At the time I was like most and was in complete denial about it but the fact was I'd blown pretty much all of it. This messed me up and I became pretty depressed, I couldnt talk to anyone as like I said I was in denial and I wasnt thinking straight. Anyway it comes to exam times and Im still gambling away and I become so guilty and angry and upset I cant find it in myself to revise or even get up to go to Lectures, and I mess the exams up and fail miserably (I didnt turn up to 1 or 2 as I felt so bad). I couldn't bring myself to even tell my family as they have been through the same with my father and I couldn't put them through it again. I am currently seeking help to help me through all this, but I am wondering whether University will kick me out as I didnt disclose the extenuating circumstances? If they do will I have grounds to appeal if I go speak to my doctor and counsellor about my problems? I really was enjoying Uni and the degree is what I've alwayd wanted to do, I'd be heartbroken if this oppurtunity were to be cut short due to this problem. Any advice would be fantastic, please dont judge, trust me this is the last thing I expected or would of wanted I cant help it.
>starts gambling
>fails the year

There's a lesson in all of this
Original post by Holdinho10
Hello everyone, I find myself in a pretty horrible situation right now where I havr completely messed up my first year. The first semester went great, but around February I started to gamble away more and more of my money and suddenly it became a massive problem. At the time I was like most and was in complete denial about it but the fact was I'd blown pretty much all of it. This messed me up and I became pretty depressed, I couldnt talk to anyone as like I said I was in denial and I wasnt thinking straight. Anyway it comes to exam times and Im still gambling away and I become so guilty and angry and upset I cant find it in myself to revise or even get up to go to Lectures, and I mess the exams up and fail miserably (I didnt turn up to 1 or 2 as I felt so bad). I couldn't bring myself to even tell my family as they have been through the same with my father and I couldn't put them through it again. I am currently seeking help to help me through all this, but I am wondering whether University will kick me out as I didnt disclose the extenuating circumstances? If they do will I have grounds to appeal if I go speak to my doctor and counsellor about my problems? I really was enjoying Uni and the degree is what I've alwayd wanted to do, I'd be heartbroken if this oppurtunity were to be cut short due to this problem. Any advice would be fantastic, please dont judge, trust me this is the last thing I expected or would of wanted I cant help it.

I am not sure what your university will do. It is normally better if you disclose such things before the exam.

If I was you, I'd speak to your GP and personal tutor as soon as possible, and explain what your circumstances were.
Reply 3
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I am not sure what your university will do. It is normally better if you disclose such things before the exam.

If I was you, I'd speak to your GP and personal tutor as soon as possible, and explain what your circumstances were.

Yeah I really wish I had now but at that time I didnt want to admit it was a problem if you get what I mean I felt embarrassed or that they'd dismiss it as a load bull. But thank you I will do straight away!
I think because your still on your first year I doubt it should be a problem for you to do it again ....
Tbh tho I have found that with extenuating circumstances the universities don't really take notice of it as you should have brought it up before exams... It's something universities should take into account at the end of the day your paying so much money for a your education.
I'd speak to your tutor tho And work things out... If your doctor can help you with a note then you should be fine I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Too late for the first year, but do get help as soon as possible. Uni may not be the right place for you right now and as long as you don't start your second year ( or first year retake) you will still have enough Student Finance to start a new degree from scratch in a year or two when you have it beat.

It also strikes me that access to a Stusent Finance loan is just going to perpetuate the problem. Being at uni may actually be part of the problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending