The Student Room Group

in YOUR opinion, how hard would you say it is to get a first

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shawtyb
i have thought about it but i dont know what to do with it like what sort of business i wana do...if that makes sense?
i have no talents, i cant make stuff and im not creative so im stuck for ideas

http://startups.co.uk/10-steps-to-starting-a-business/

Everyone has a talent
Reply 41

i literally have nothing i could make a business about
Original post by shawtyb
i literally have nothing i could make a business about

Then I don't know what else I can advise, I'm afraid.
Reply 43
Original post by super_kawaii
Then I don't know what else I can advise, I'm afraid.

im stuck :'(
Reply 44
Original post by shawtyb
im stuck :'(

If you cant get a first then you must be
Reply 45
Original post by Dr.Snack

not everyone gets firsts your know
I'm aiming for a first and I'm pretty close I think, 66% at the mo. With a few firsts so I know I will get it next year
Original post by Dr.Snack

Getting a first won't help much. As long as you have at least a 2:1, it's what you do alongside your course that matters most
Reply 48
Getting a first won't help much. As long as you have at least a 2:1, it's what you do alongside your course that matters most

iv done volunteer work but it was before i did uni

Original post by shortysaturdays
I'm aiming for a first and I'm pretty close I think, 66% at the mo. With a few firsts so I know I will get it next year

so close!
Reply 49
I certainly believe I can get one but my degree has one of the highest first rates in the country I believe. It is not easy, but the resources available are very good I think.
Reply 50
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I certainly believe I can get one but my degree has one of the highest first rates in the country I believe. It is not easy, but the resources available are very good I think.

whats ur degree in
Reply 51
Original post by shawtyb
whats ur degree in

Maths
Reply 52
Maths

ew
Original post by shawtyb
iv done volunteer work but it was before i did uni

so close!

thanks! just one module dragged me down where I got 58%
Reply 54
Original post by shortysaturdays
thanks! just one module dragged me down where I got 58%

i nearly failed 2 modules but i passed luckily
Reply 55
Original post by shawtyb
ew

u wot
Original post by shawtyb
nope.
its management so quite a hard career to get experience in

My degree was also management, and I completely disagree that it's difficult to get experience in. If anything I'd say its one of the most easy.

Chances are you're not going to walk into a management role, so you should seek to get experiences in different areas of business, e.g I did a supply chain internship, I volunteered doing things like delivering presentations and promoting organisations (marketing) which are all very transferable to areas of the management course.

In terms of experience actually leading people, you could take up a leadership role in some sort of society or voluntary organisation, e.g chairperson or president of a committee. Think a bit outside the box, it's very unlikely you're going to get experience shadowing a CEO or whatever, so you have to look to improve your skills which can be transferred over into a career.
Reply 57
u wot

maths

Original post by hermitthefrog
My degree was also management, and I completely disagree that it's difficult to get experience in. If anything I'd say its one of the most easy.

Chances are you're not going to walk into a management role, so you should seek to get experiences in different areas of business, e.g I did a supply chain internship, I volunteered doing things like delivering presentations and promoting organisations (marketing) which are all very transferable to areas of the management course.

In terms of experience actually leading people, you could take up a leadership role in some sort of society or voluntary organisation, e.g chairperson or president of a committee. Think a bit outside the box, it's very unlikely you're going to get experience shadowing a CEO or whatever, so you have to look to improve your skills which can be transferred over into a career.

you didnt read my earlier comments then, i have 3 kids and no childcare. feel free to think outside of the box with that one -.-
Original post by shawtyb
maths

you didnt read my earlier comments then, i have 3 kids and no childcare. feel free to think outside of the box with that one -.-

Ultimately he's right-you're not going to walk right into an upper management job. You're going to have to work your way up, even with a degree.

How old are you and your children if you don't mind me asking? If they're already at school, that'll give you more time to actually do things and get experience
Reply 59
Ultimately he's right-you're not going to walk right into an upper management job. You're going to have to work your way up, even with a degree.

How old are you and your children if you don't mind me asking? If they're already at school, that'll give you more time to actually do things and get experience

i fully appreciate that fact and i know i wont, i never said id walk straight into one.
my plan always was to start from the bottom up but until then, experience would be good,. hence the thread.

well my 4 yr old starts full time school in september but i have a 10 month old. thats where the issue is, i cant afford childcare at present and have no one to watch him, therefor i cant get experience in ANY way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending