The Student Room Group

Awkward moments

We've all had them. Whether it is accidentally saying something as a joke and people finding them offensive or running out of things to say and sharing an awkward moment. Do you have a story about an awkward moment?

A massively awkward moment that I had recently occurred on holiday in Budapest, Hungary. My girlfriend and I were at a bar and I was slightly tipsy (that is a key part of the story)

So after drinking a few too many, I needed to go to the toilet and off I went. On the doors, instead of the usual picture of a man and woman or even M or F, it was the signs for gender instead. Now as I said, I was slightly tipsy. I looked at the door in front of me and thought that was the males so in I went.

Now, if I didn't have beer goggles on then I would have quickly noticed that there was no urinals in the room... But as I went into the toilet and began to pee, I realised that there was a box next to the toilet. They weren't usually next to toilets I thought. Then the penny dropped. I was in the girls toilets :redface: IT DOESN'T END THERE.

I step out and an old lady is standing there, screaming at me in Hungarian. "Nem! Nem!" (Means 'no':wink: So I attempted to apologise whilst she gave me a death stare. I quickly ran into the boys toilets and washed my hands. Turned out she was the cleaner and had just mopped the floors. She followed me in and again screamed at me.

Eventually I escaped and my girlfriend said I looked rather sheepish :redface:
Original post by PugDevil
We've all had them. Whether it is accidentally saying something as a joke and people finding them offensive or running out of things to say and sharing an awkward moment. Do you have a story about an awkward moment?

A massively awkward moment that I had recently occurred on holiday in Budapest, Hungary. My girlfriend and I were at a bar and I was slightly tipsy (that is a key part of the story)

So after drinking a few too many, I needed to go to the toilet and off I went. On the doors, instead of the usual picture of a man and woman or even M or F, it was the signs for gender instead. Now as I said, I was slightly tipsy. I looked at the door in front of me and thought that was the males so in I went.

Now, if I didn't have beer goggles on then I would have quickly noticed that there was no urinals in the room... But as I went into the toilet and began to pee, I realised that there was a box next to the toilet. They weren't usually next to toilets I thought. Then the penny dropped. I was in the girls toilets :redface: IT DOESN'T END THERE.

I step out and an old lady is standing there, screaming at me in Hungarian. "Nem! Nem!" (Means 'no':wink: So I attempted to apologise whilst she gave me a death stare. I quickly ran into the boys toilets and washed my hands. Turned out she was the cleaner and had just mopped the floors. She followed me in and again screamed at me.

Eventually I escaped and my girlfriend said I looked rather sheepish :redface:

Sooo...she yelled "nem nem" because you were making the floor dirty or...you were in the lady's toilets?
Reply 2
Original post by 0to100
Sooo...she yelled "nem nem" because you were making the floor dirty or...you were in the lady's toilets?

Both! I thought I was doing the right thing by removing myself from the toilets, but she literally walked up in my face!! I've never seen someone's face be that full of disapproval.
I was in school early in the morning. I saw my friends in the corner so I went up to them and said HEEEY GUYS! They turned around and it was girls from another year which I didn't know. I smiled and slowly walked away acting as if nothing happened. :toofunny:
(edited 7 years ago)
I was working at Asda and then I heard the announcement "will the colleague Kvothe please report to the manager's office". I immediately grew nervous but my line-manager and surrounding colleagues assured me that nothing was probably wrong. I certainly wasn't aware of any wrongdoing on my part.

Anyway I waited for someone to be sent to cover me and went up stairs to the office and saw a manager and supervisor before me. They invited me to sit down and I held their gazes for a few seconds. In my mouth I had a million excuses ready.

She then said "Kvothe there is no easy way to say this but you smell. A customer complained that you smell. If you have a condition that causes you to have bad BO then you should probably pay better attention. You can continue the rest of the shift if you wish but I suggest you go home and return in the morning."

I was shocked and the silence that followed was particularly awkward. I nervously apologized and with my head held low, I said that I'd go home.
(edited 7 years ago)
Heard my folks getting it on. So I kicked the door. My mum screamed.
Reply 6
Original post by saraxh
I was in school early in the morning. I saw my friends in the corner so I went up to them and said HEEEY! They turned around and it was girls from another year which I didn't know. I smiled and slowly walked away acting as if nothing happened. :toofunny:

:lol: That's a classic!

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I was working at Asda and then I heard the announcement "will the colleague Kvothe" please report to the manager's office. I immediately grew nervous but my manager and surrounding colleagues assured me that nothing was probably wrong. I certainly wasn't aware of any wrongdoing on my part.

Anyway I waited for someone to be sent to cover me and went up stairs to the office and saw a manager and supervisor before me. They invited me to sit down and I held their gazes for a few seconds. In my mouth I had a million excuses ready.

She then said "Kvothe there is no easy way to say this but you smell. A customer complained that you smell. If you have a condition that causes you to have bad BO then you should probably pay better attention. You can continue the rest of the shift if you wish but I suggest you go home and return in the morning. d

I was shocked and the silence that followed was particularly awkward. I nervously apologised and with my head held low, I said that I'd go home.

Wow! :hmmm: I've never heard something like that, customers can be the worst!! I really do not want to go back to retail, but I have a feeling I'm due at least one more stint in there :frown:
My friend's awkward moment is my favourite. She was in Palma Nova with a group of friends, they were relaxing on the beach after a late night out when two people came up to them to chat to them. They were having a good conversation when my friend said "aw, you guys are the first friends we've made this holiday!!"

The two people just looked at her awkwardly and then went on to tell them about this amazing boat party on tonight and whether or not they wanted to buy a ticket. So my poor friend thought these two people were there to make friends but obviously they're just friendly to everyone because they're reps and want to sell tickets :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
urm my life is so full of akward moments maybe I should jus put : my life
:ssaw:

Spoiler

In a rush to get my clothes back on after sex, I didn't realise I'd put my jumper on inside-out. I was meeting all of my boyfriend's upper-middle-class family friends that day.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I'm the worlds worst when it comes to flying. I'm that annoying terrified flyer that everyone hates :laugh:

Last time I went on a plane, I took a panic attack and meant to grab the arm rest beside me but grabbed the guy's arm instead full force :colondollar: I couldn't apologize enough and explained I meant to grab the arm rest instead of his arm and I was taking a panic attack at the time but he just kind of sneered at me and it made the rest of the journey so awkward and I haven't flown since. To be fair, no one wants their arm grabbed by a stranger but I did apologize profusely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went out with my aunt on the weekend sometime for a party
and I met my friends there.

So one of my friends was like ahh this is abit boring, let's go somewhere else. So my friends were like yeah we'll drop you at your house like where I lived with my aunt. So my aunt drives a red Jeep..when me and my friends came back to where the party initially was. I saw a red Jeep and I was like ohh my aunt is still here. This red Jeep was parked in the same exact position where my aunt's car was. So I run over to the car, and I'm like ohh open up for me because the doors were closed..only to find out it was someone else in the car and not my aunt... I wanted the ground to swallow me. It was in fact a completely different family in the car:o:o

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest