The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in their weaker language?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
twz
OP
Original post by Abclkj
I speak 3 langauges and I mainly think in english because it is the one I speak in the most.

Can you think in the other 2 languages? What ages did you learn all 3 languages?
My native language is English but I speak Spanish fluently and lived in South America for 8 years, as well as having a Spanish-speaking mother, and I can easily think in any of the two with no difficulty whatsoever. When I'm in Chile I generally think in Spanish as most of the people around me are speaking in Spanish, but when I'm back in England I seldom think in Spanish.
Reply 22
twz
OP
Original post by Settle
My native language is English but I speak Spanish fluently and lived in South America for 8 years, as well as having a Spanish-speaking mother, and I can easily think in any of the two with no difficulty whatsoever. When I'm in Chile I generally think in Spanish as most of the people around me are speaking in Spanish, but when I'm back in England I seldom think in Spanish.

What about when thinking on your own, which one do you use? Can you choose?
Original post by twz
What about when thinking on your own, which one do you use? Can you choose?

I almost always use English. When I'm alone I'll sometimes think in Spanish if I've recently had a conversation in Spanish or read in Spanish or was involved in any recent activity which involved me using Spanish. But 98% of the time I'm thinking in English. And yes, I can choose, but I don't really - it's much more of a subconscious, automatic decision more than a conscious one. But if I was thinking to myself, and chose to start thinking in Spanish, I could if I wanted to.
Original post by twz
Can you think in Urdu?

Yes, easily.
Original post by greentron6
Why does it matter? It's a question and the user doesn't need to hounded for asking one (or several).

Because it is exactly the same question and he has made three threads on it in the past 3 weeks. That's why...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending