The Student Room Group

ALL this TALK about GRAMMAR SCHOOLS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Funnily enough, the ban on new grammar schools has led to the old ones being in huge demand, so house prices around the few remaining grammar schools rose a lot, driving out the poor people since they can't afford to buy or rent houses there, hence why grammar schools today are full of upper middle class.

Give us more grammar schools, and everyone has a chance to get in.

Tell me about it, the one I used to go to was in one of the poorest areas of the town, and that was a poor town. The house prices are expensive regardless, with some *****y 1920s terrace being nearly £300k. There were a lot of poor kids from the estates there, but the school was very much middle class compared with surrounding schools.
Reply 21
Original post by Grumpyteen
Yes I agree with you although like I said in my blog http://themodernperspectives.blogspot.co.uk/a small 11+ test isn't really an accurate measure of smartness...
And many kids get tuition specifically for the 11+ grammar school test whilst some cannot afford it.. and that doesn't seem fair to me.

But I do agree. It's natural selection really isn't it? It's the way life goes. The more able rise to the top.

But plenty of kids still get in without tuition. If there were more grammar schools the competition wouldn't be as fierce.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hate the idea go to a all girls Grammar School for Sixth form, I think they're crap and way overrated would never suggest it to anyone
Reply 23
I don't see why people are against creating new grammar schools, surely it'll just be for the best

Spoiler

Reply 24
Original post by Nimrahk123
I hate the idea go to a all girls Grammar School for Sixth form, I think they're crap and way overrated would never suggest it to anyone

You have to remember not all grammar schools are the same. I went to a girls grammar school initially then moved to a boys grammar school for sixth form and loved them both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
You have to remember not all grammar schools are the same. I went to a girls grammar school initially then moved to a boys grammar school for sixth form and loved them both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but would never suggest the one I go to.
Everyone's experience is different though.
Reply 26
It just seems strange to focus on pushing the best and ignoring the rest. Education is dire in this country and surely it is better to improve things for the majority. But whatever, perhaps that is too big an ask.
Reply 27
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It just seems strange to focus on pushing the best and ignoring the rest. Education is dire in this country and surely it is better to improve things for the majority. But whatever, perhaps that is too big an ask.

But why should that be done at the detriment to the brightest. It's even more unfair to hold students back because others aren't as smart.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by mliela
But why should that be done at the detriment to the brightest. It's even more unfair to hold students back because others aren't as smart.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In all but the most terrible comprehensives top students don't need to be held back if you just use streaming. My school had relatively poor stats/performance and still the top students got top grades (I live in Wales so grammar schools aren't an option incidentally). Most brighter students are far more self-motivated and far less dependent on teachers, so it seems to me somewhat ironic to focus more resources on them and thus less on everyone else. I would be more for introducing more grammar schools if education in general were in a fit state but this seems like it will serve to further take attention off the majority and only slightly push the minority, if at all.
Sending me to a grammar school is one of the best decisions my family ever made for me. I hear horror stories about comprehensives and I'm so grateful I went to a good school.
Reply 30
In all but the most terrible comprehensives top students don't need to be held back if you just use streaming. My school had relatively poor stats/performance and still the top students got top grades (I live in Wales so grammar schools aren't an option incidentally). Most brighter students are far more self-motivated and far less dependent on teachers, so it seems to me somewhat ironic to focus more resources on them and thus less on everyone else. I would be more for introducing more grammar schools if education in general were in a fit state but this seems like it will serve to further take attention off the majority and only slightly push the minority, if at all.

Some students need a lot more pushing. They have potential to do better and seem bright but they aren't given the help they need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by MattB_
I don't see why people are against creating new grammar schools, surely it'll just be for the best

Spoiler

Read my blog post which is full personal experiences.
Reply 32

It's natural selection really isn't it? The fittest survive and go on to achieve better things... It's the harsh truth.

www.themodernperspectives.blogspot.co.uk

I would appreciate it if you read my blog which gives some insight into it all.

Quick Reply

Latest