The Student Room Group

Medicine - What Stubjects should i keep at A2/A-Level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hslakaal
Why not just do all four? An extra subject isn't too hard to do.

If you do have to drop one though, keep maths imo. So much usefulness in

a) no revision for those simple stat concepts in early years
b) when doing research, you have at least a basic idea of the statistics involved. Not so much that you'd understand the logic behind a regression analysis or anything, but that if you saw the formula, you'd get how that's being used.

If you look at the stats, people doing 4 subjects tend to get AAAA offers rather than AAA. If they still gave out AAA offers to people doing 4 subjects, I'd agree, but there's no reason at all to commit to needing a fourth A, when 3 As will do fine.
Original post by jayeshforce1
i dont know what PH3 and PH4 is....... lol

*sigh* It's an abbreviation for Physics 3 and Physics 4
Original post by ColossalAtom
Because C4 helps with capacitors and nuclear decay in A2 Physics right?

The maths in physics A2 is around about the border between A* GCSE and fairly easy AS. It's not the actual maths that's the problem, it's the application and context. Plus, there's other fairly challenging topics that aren't too mathematical.
Original post by JoeTSR
If you look at the stats, people doing 4 subjects tend to get AAAA offers rather than AAA. If they still gave out AAA offers to people doing 4 subjects, I'd agree, but there's no reason at all to commit to needing a fourth A, when 3 As will do fine.

That sounds terrible. Makes me want to drop a subject after year 12.
Original post by jayeshforce1
Do you reckon i should retake C1 in june if i get a B in maths this year and decide to drop it for A2? so it looks good

Well the unis are going to see it before you retake it so I don't really see the point? But if you want to get an A just to have like a clean slate at then end, then yeah - but why C1 - is that where you lost all the marks?
Original post by 07cdominic
Well the unis are going to see it before you retake it so I don't really see the point? But if you want to get an A just to have like a clean slate at then end, then yeah - but why C1 - is that where you lost all the marks?

I smashed M1, Done well on C2, C1 i panicked and fuged up because it was my first ever AS exam. Probably just scraped B for C1
Reply 26
Original post by ColossalAtom
That sounds terrible. Makes me want to drop a subject after year 12.

Yeah, it wouldn't be a bad plan. If you have a look online (I don't have the link to hand, but do a search for SGUL using Google on Whatdotheyknow - use site:whatdotheyknow.com in Google to find it) there's a list of all applicants in a recent year along with their UKCAT scores (or GMSAT, whatever SGUL use, I can't remember), predicted grades, type of course, and offers, or lack of offers.

Maybe you're more likely to get an offer the next year if you get AAAB, but that doesn't seem to really be the case. Personally, I'd just do three, then if you get AAB, in the next year, either retake one or do a fourth A level on its own (or both).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending