The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwerty123A
Yes you can apply, and predicted grades arent important as long as you meet the minimum requirement of BBC. They only judge candidates based on PS when giving out interviews.

Thank you
Original post by medicine71012
Can you apply to this with AS' AAAA and predicted grades AAA (as well as of course meeting the contextual requirments)? And does this make your application any stronger?

No to the part in bold. You won't be given any preferential treatment.
Original post by Neostigmine

No to the part in bold. You won't be given any preferential treatment.

Thank you
Reply 1323
Which halls did you guys apply to?
Has anyone received offers for the halls of their choice??
I'm looking to apply for this come september. Meet 4 of their contextual requirements
GCSEs - 6A*s and 4As went to a school with 48% GCSE pass
As maths and further maths (A and A/B) hopefully - mjssed the second further maths exam because I was in hospital
Predicted grades for A level
Biology A
Maths A
Chemistry B (they wont budge it to an A despite being in hospital for the week before and immediately after the recent mock)
Work experience - 1 week at a children's hospital saw some amazing things particularly on the burns ward
1 week at a larger hospital rotation on several wards
Did a few days at a community optician as a sort of substitute to a GP practice
Volunteering - currently volunteer for a charity for the partially sighted helpimg people access technology
Volunteered for 2 days at a day centre for people with learning difficulties and mental health issues
Ran a social action project at the childrens hospital i did my work experience because of how moved i was
Ran a second social project to try and increase engagement between elderly and the youth
Completed NCS
Work part time in retail to help me develop the necessary skills that a junior doctor must possess: such as teamwork leadership, problem solving, communication with a wide spectrum of people etc
Personal experience
Was a young carer for my dad who has asphergers and schizophrenia
Extra curricular
Model united nations
Head boy of secondary school
Wrote the sports section of my school newsletter
Health ambassador at college raise awareness about issues such as vaping, skin cancer, safe sex, addiction, mental health etc
I know how competitive this course is just hope I have enough to put in my personal statement to get an interview and offer
Anyone on the course who csn give me an idea on what to include will be great!
Original post by sufiyan1999
I'm looking to apply for this come september. Meet 4 of their contextual requirements
GCSEs - 6A*s and 4As went to a school with 48% GCSE pass
As maths and further maths (A and A/B) hopefully - mjssed the second further maths exam because I was in hospital
Predicted grades for A level
Biology A
Maths A
Chemistry B (they wont budge it to an A despite being in hospital for the week before and immediately after the recent mock)
Work experience - 1 week at a children's hospital saw some amazing things particularly on the burns ward
1 week at a larger hospital rotation on several wards
Did a few days at a community optician as a sort of substitute to a GP practice
Volunteering - currently volunteer for a charity for the partially sighted helpimg people access technology
Volunteered for 2 days at a day centre for people with learning difficulties and mental health issues
Ran a social action project at the childrens hospital i did my work experience because of how moved i was
Ran a second social project to try and increase engagement between elderly and the youth
Completed NCS
Work part time in retail to help me develop the necessary skills that a junior doctor must possess: such as teamwork leadership, problem solving, communication with a wide spectrum of people etc
Personal experience
Was a young carer for my dad who has asphergers and schizophrenia
Extra curricular
Model united nations
Head boy of secondary school
Wrote the sports section of my school newsletter
Health ambassador at college raise awareness about issues such as vaping, skin cancer, safe sex, addiction, mental health etc
I know how competitive this course is just hope I have enough to put in my personal statement to get an interview and offer
Anyone on the course who csn give me an idea on what to include will be great!

Hiya :biggrin:

Firstly, best in luck in your application. Nobody can tell you exactly what you should include but one thing which may help is the non academic criteria for BM6. So, what you can do is think does this opportunity come under that umbrella for each criteria.

Applicants must be able to show they:

Are self-motivated and resilient
Have reflected on and learnt from life experiences (this may include, work experience, paid employment and personal experiences both in and outside health and socialcare settings)
Can communicate effectively
Are able to interact successfully with others
Can demonstrate an understanding of the values of the NHS constitution

If you have anymore questions feel free to reply to this message or just pm me :wink: I just finished BM6 year 0 this year :smile:

Mel

PS: Don't worry about how much stuff you talk about. If you pick three or four (this is not exact number btw) but talk about it well, it's far better than listing 100 opportunities.
How many places are available for this course? Also, should my PS focus on some real life experiences such as my mother's illness and how I've cared for her etc?
Reply 1328
Original post by Wisbey
How many places are available for this course? Also, should my PS focus on some real life experiences such as my mother's illness and how I've cared for her etc?

Roughly 30 places, with around 40 offers given out (IIRC)

If it is significant in your decision to study medicine and you think it's an important thing to talk about, then yes.
Original post by Wisbey

120 interviews
41 offers this year, with an aim to have 30 in a class.

It can do if you think that what you learnt from it makes you a better applicant. Lots of people write personal things but don't back them up with why this has made them a better applicant so you have to be careful that it doesn't just read as a sob story. I've seen personal stories used very poorly but I've also seen them used incredibly well.
Hi guys. Can I ask roughly when foundation year exams finish & when did you guys break up for summer? Bit early to ask I know, lol.

Thanks,
Yasmin
Original post by Yasmin49
Hi guys. Can I ask roughly when foundation year exams finish & when did you guys break up for summer? Bit early to ask I know, lol.

Thanks,
Yasmin

Juneish. Not confirmed until later in the year though.
Reply 1332
Original post by Yasmin49

Thanks,
Yasmin

Our exams were in the last week of May. Broke up on the day of the last exam, but lectures finished two weeks before exams.
Hey, i submitted my accommodation application on the 5th of July and i still haven't been made an offer, should i be worried?

Also, I put Glen as my first choice and i was really stuck between that and Mayflower. I was wondering, if lets say, i didnt like Glen after i moved in, and would rather be at Mayflower, would it be possible to swap as long as there are unoccupied rooms in Mayflower or someone is willing to 'swap'?
Hey, i submitted my accommodation application on the 5th of July and i still haven't been made an offer, should i be worried?

Also, I put Glen as my first choice and i was really stuck between that and Mayflower. I was wondering, if lets say, i didnt like Glen after i moved in, and would rather be at Mayflower, would it be possible to swap as long as there are unoccupied rooms in Mayflower or someone is willing to 'swap'?

Rooms wont be allocated for ages. Do not worry.

There are rarely rooms available. You can apply to move but there are no guarantees.

Honestly, it is just a place to sleep for 6 months of a year :smile:

Just a question since I also haven't received an offer for an accommodation either. Are you still able to log into the southampton student accomodations services page because I am not able to.
Good luck today everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got A*AA, very pleased.

I dont know what to do now though lol, Guess im just going to just focus on preparing for the course like getting supplies and stuff. Is there anything specifically that i need to do/get before we start?

Woah well done!!! Just get supplies and enjoy your summer!!
Original post by Neostigmine
Woah well done!!! Just get supplies and enjoy your summer!!

Hi, I'm on the waiting list and have been told there are no vacancies and to wait till september. What are the chances of getting in? Thanks.
Original post by theclass
Hi, I'm on the waiting list and have been told there are no vacancies and to wait till september. What are the chances of getting in? Thanks.

What grades did you get?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending