The Student Room Group

I failed my maths AS, what do I do?

So I got a U overall in maths two E's in core and a U in stats, my school won't let me resist the exams along with A-level maths, and they said I can only do level 3 core maths which means I won't have 3 A-levels for uni. How is this going to affect me and what can I do? I've heard you can resist alongside the next year so why won't my school let me?
Maybe they don't think you're capable enough to do 6 maths exam?
Reply 2
It's likely that after getting such grades on AS alone, they don't see it as realistic for you to do better while doing A2 maths at the same time. You could try to do a whole different a level next year (both AS and A2) if your school lets you. If you don't mind waiting an extra year before going to university then you could just do an AS and then A2 on the following year (possibly try to redo AS maths alone if you think you can do better this time).
Original post by Jessie.Mills
So I got a U overall in maths two E's in core and a U in stats, my school won't let me resist the exams along with A-level maths, and they said I can only do level 3 core maths which means I won't have 3 A-levels for uni. How is this going to affect me and what can I do? I've heard you can resist alongside the next year so why won't my school let me?

I suggest redoing year 12. That's what I plan to do now after having flunked my maths.
Take the resits with a private center and revise for them in your own time.
Reply 5
Original post by Sophie_Nanase
I suggest redoing year 12. That's what I plan to do now after having flunked my maths.

My school said that they don't want me to cause I did really well in my other subjects but it might be an option
Reply 6
Original post by whydoidothis?
Take the resits with a private center and revise for them in your own time.

I was thinking of this, do you know any websites that have more information? Thank you
I was thinking of this, do you know any websites that have more information? Thank you

Your going to have to ask local colleges, preferably large ones if they wouldn't mind an external candidate. google up some more info and then ring up centers i would imagine.

i have no idea of the correct method, as I just did my resits with my college

You pay a bit extra thought, as you need to pay for taking up a seat (space and all that) when you sit your exam..
Reply 8
Original post by Nadile
It's likely that after getting such grades on AS alone, they don't see it as realistic for you to do better while doing A2 maths at the same time. You could try to do a whole different a level next year (both AS and A2) if your school lets you. If you don't mind waiting an extra year before going to university then you could just do an AS and then A2 on the following year (possibly try to redo AS maths alone if you think you can do better this time).

Yes I can see why they wouldn't want me to as it means I would have a lot of work to do my I am willing to do whatever it takes, I'm just not crazy about staying in school for another two years. Thank you
Reply 9
Original post by whydoidothis?
Your going to have to ask local colleges, preferably large ones if they wouldn't mind an external candidate. google up some more info and then ring up centers i would imagine.

i have no idea of the correct method, as I just did my resits with my college

You pay a bit extra thought, as you need to pay for taking up a seat (space and all that) when you sit your exam..

Thanks i'lol do some research now
Was it OCR?

You might have to either retake Year 12 or revise for those in your own time. Examsolutions is really good for maths and further maths
It's not impossible, I got BDU in AS maths and got an A overall this year in maths by resitting and working bloody hard.
Original post by yellowraffles
Was it OCR?

No it was AQA
Original post by razzo161
It's not impossible, I got BDU in AS maths and got an A overall this year in maths by resitting and working bloody hard.

See that's what I want to do but my school won't let me, I'm going to try and fight it though it's not impossible and I know my maths teacher thinks I can do it
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest