The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineering clearing help pls i'm stressing

Hey.

missed my first and second choices (by a lot lol oh well). I got CCC in maths physics and chemistry and an A* in a mechanical engineering related EPQ.

I really want to end up at a decent uni that's good for the course, and I've got some offers, but I just don't know what I should accept. (or if I should keep ringing around and trying my luck for offers from other universities)

Right now I have verbal offers from...
Sheffield Hallam, Liverpool John Moores, Coventry, Swansea, Uni of Lincoln, Hull, Aberdeen and De Montfort.
(most of these verbal offers will only stand until 12:00 so I've got to make my choices ASAP.)

Obviously Aberdeen is great for the course and probably the best offer I'll get, but it's very impractical for me, it's 10 hours away from home, in another country, and the accomodation I can find is very expensive (cannot afford). Also, I'm worried that a degree from aberdeen would lock me into a carreer in oil and gas.

If anyone more knowledgeable than me could offer me some advice regarding the matter I'd be extremely grateful.. I've not really slept for 2 days and I'm totally lost in a sea of league tables and uni websites.. I need helppppp

I've called a lot of unis who have said something along the lines of 'we require bbc for this course at the moment, and I can't tell you if this will change in the coming days'.. does my epq not do anything regarding missed grades?

If i've missed anything critical off this please just let me know and I'll update asap, sorry for a messy post i can't get my head round making it nice atm

thanks in advance
Original post by AlistairMcDonald
Hey.

missed my first and second choices (by a lot lol oh well). I got CCC in maths physics and chemistry and an A* in a mechanical engineering related EPQ.

I really want to end up at a decent uni that's good for the course, and I've got some offers, but I just don't know what I should accept. (or if I should keep ringing around and trying my luck for offers from other universities)

Sheffield Hallam, Liverpool John Moores, Coventry, Swansea, Uni of Lincoln, Hull, Aberdeen and De Montfort.
(most of these verbal offers will only stand until 12:00 so I've got to make my choices ASAP.)

Obviously Aberdeen is great for the course and probably the best offer I'll get, but it's very impractical for me, it's 10 hours away from home, in another country, and the accomodation I can find is very expensive (cannot afford). Also, I'm worried that a degree from aberdeen would lock me into a carreer in oil and gas.

If anyone more knowledgeable than me could offer me some advice regarding the matter I'd be extremely grateful.. I've not really slept for 2 days and I'm totally lost in a sea of league tables and uni websites.. I need helppppp

I've called a lot of unis who have said something along the lines of 'we require bbc for this course at the moment, and I can't tell you if this will change in the coming days'.. does my epq not do anything regarding missed grades?

If i've missed anything critical off this please just let me know and I'll update asap, sorry for a messy post i can't get my head round making it nice atm

thanks in advance

Call your universities up and ask them to extend the deadline on your offers so that you can visit/look into accommodation options over the weekend
Original post by PQ
Call your universities up and ask them to extend the deadline on your offers so that you can visit/look into accommodation options over the weekend

I'll do this now, thanks for the advice.

A point I forgot to put in my original post - could a foundation year be a good idea?
Reply 3
Swansea is very good for engineering,brand new campus just for it with new and advanced tech.Graunteed brand new accommodation for first years on campus as well. It's its own campus but has the city about 2 miles away.Got into it as my insurance and I'm happy :smile:
I'll do this now, thanks for the advice.

A point I forgot to put in my original post - could a foundation year be a good idea?

It might be but it isn't something to rush into - make sure you do your research

Common problems with foundation years (so the sort of thing you want to watch out for/ask about) include:
High failure/drop out rates
No guaranteed progression onto the degree you're interested in
Teaching taking place at a local college or private college (which can feel isolating)
Cramped facilities/high staff:student ratios
Majority international students leading to a lot of time dedicated to language learning rather than subject study
Poorly designed foundation years leading to high failure/drop out after starting the main degree course

There are some excellent foundation years about, and they're 100% right for many people. Unfortunately they're also often treated like a cash cow by some universities so they cram students in without checking suitability and use the foundation year exams to filter out the students who aren't able to succeed.
Original post by PQ
It might be but it isn't something to rush into - make sure you do your research

Common problems with foundation years (so the sort of thing you want to watch out for/ask about) include:
High failure/drop out rates
No guaranteed progression onto the degree you're interested in
Teaching taking place at a local college or private college (which can feel isolating)
Cramped facilities/high staff:student ratios
Majority international students leading to a lot of time dedicated to language learning rather than subject study
Poorly designed foundation years leading to high failure/drop out after starting the main degree course

There are some excellent foundation years about, and they're 100% right for many people. Unfortunately they're also often treated like a cash cow by some universities so they cram students in without checking suitability and use the foundation year exams to filter out the students who aren't able to succeed.

Thanks for the reply, looks like more trouble than it's worth!

Can anyone offer any opinions on de Montfort or Lincoln? Or Coventry... Or Sheffield or Liverpool haha
Hey.

thanks in advance

HI,

Where do you live? Have you considered Universities closer to home so that you can commute from home, this way you will have minimal living costs. We are 25 minutes away from London and offer a wide range of engineering courses that are in clearing. Please have a look at our website for all the courses currently in clearing http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/search?query=engineering+&collection=herts-courses

Good luck in your search!
Thanks for the reply, looks like more trouble than it's worth!

Can anyone offer any opinions on de Montfort or Lincoln? Or Coventry... Or Sheffield or Liverpool haha

Are all the courses you have offers for accredited?
(it should be clear on their site if they are or you can check here: http://www.engc.org.uk/education-skills/course-search/acad/ )

For MechEng if you're looking for a career or CEng status then accreditation is key :yes:

(other than that all those universities will offer a decent level of education and student experience - but they're pretty different in terms of learning environment/location etc so I'd suggest you filter it down based on finding somewhere you'll be happy living and where the course content and environment are likely to suit you so you do well)
Original post by PQ
Are all the courses you have offers for accredited?
(it should be clear on their site if they are or you can check here: http://www.engc.org.uk/education-skills/course-search/acad/ )

For MechEng if you're looking for a career or CEng status then accreditation is key :yes:

(other than that all those universities will offer a decent level of education and student experience - but they're pretty different in terms of learning environment/location etc so I'd suggest you filter it down based on finding somewhere you'll be happy living and where the course content and environment are likely to suit you so you do well)

Thank you so much for all your help, you're really helping me sort myself out!

I checked, and the 3 I've narrowed it down to (Coventry, Lincoln and De Montfort) are all accredited, but only Coventry and Lincoln have 'additional accreditation'.

I don't know what that is but it sounds good, and I think it's probably between coventry and lincoln at the moment, but I have one worry.

Lincoln isn't on any of the mech eng league tables and I can't figure why! I am struggling to get a comparison between the two
Thank you so much for all your help, you're really helping me sort myself out!

I checked, and the 3 I've narrowed it down to (Coventry, Lincoln and De Montfort) are all accredited, but only Coventry and Lincoln have 'additional accreditation'.

I don't know what that is but it sounds good, and I think it's probably between coventry and lincoln at the moment, but I have one worry.

Lincoln isn't on any of the mech eng league tables and I can't figure why! I am struggling to get a comparison between the two

It looks from unistats like the numbers on their mech eng courses are quite small (not a bad thing!) 25-50 each year (https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/overview/10007151FT-EGREGRUB/ReturnTo/Search see the little (i) symbols to get the number of students) and so they group all of their engineering courses together for the league tables
They're in http://st.hitcreative.com/education/university_guide/active/UniversityGuide/table/year/2016/type/imported/id/400 and http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2016/may/23/university-league-tables-2017#S160 and http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=General%20Engineering for all of their engineering courses

Coventry and Lincoln are quite different cities
ive got a room at north western halls you can take if you decide upon liverpool. nice view, next to lime street train station.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending