The Student Room Group

Year out, keeping my hand in....

I got BBBB at AS (maths, chemistry, biology and physics) so couldn't apply to the likes of Durham, Cambridge and York to do Natural Sciences this year. I was all set to go to Newcastle to do Chemistry in September but my grades were WAY better than I had ever expected and I came out with A*A*A (maths, biology and chemistry). Natural Sciences is the course I really want to do so I am going to take a year out and reapply. I already had a year out before A levels and know how hard it was getting back into it and don't want the same to happen again so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about keeping my hand in, like short courses etc.

Also, I was thinking about finishing my A level physics as an external student but with all the reforms it wouldn't be that simple would it?
Original post by youngar
I got BBBB at AS (maths, chemistry, biology and physics) so couldn't apply to the likes of Durham, Cambridge and York to do Natural Sciences this year. I was all set to go to Newcastle to do Chemistry in September but my grades were WAY better than I had ever expected and I came out with A*A*A (maths, biology and chemistry). Natural Sciences is the course I really want to do so I am going to take a year out and reapply. I already had a year out before A levels and know how hard it was getting back into it and don't want the same to happen again so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about keeping my hand in, like short courses etc.

Also, I was thinking about finishing my A level physics as an external student but with all the reforms it wouldn't be that simple would it?

There are some free online courses created by universities that you can do, this is a website my head of sixth form told us about: https://www.futurelearn.com/

I'm not sure about your second question, I did a quick google search and I think you would have to look at individual exam boards to see the rules and restrictions that apply to the available specifications. You could see if Ofqual have something on it.
Congratulations on your results by the way!! :yay:
Original post by youngar

Check with your college about if/how you could go about doing A2 Physics. The only issue I can think of is the need to have done the assessed practicals. I believe next summer is the first year that the new A-level exams (i.e. not AS) will be sat, so you could definitely take the exams (but your AS Physics wouldn't count for anything), but I'm not sure how you would go about doing the practicals. Have you thought about doing Further Maths instead? No practicals/coursework, and you can get online tuition via FMSP (http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/fmmature).
Reply 3
Original post by Black Rose
There are some free online courses created by universities that you can do, this is a website my head of sixth form told us about: https://www.futurelearn.com/

I'm not sure about your second question, I did a quick google search and I think you would have to look at individual exam boards to see the rules and restrictions that apply to the available specifications. You could see if Ofqual have something on it.
Congratulations on your results by the way!! :yay:

Ooo that site looks fantastic, thank you!

Original post by Lolgarithms
Check with your college about if/how you could go about doing A2 Physics. The only issue I can think of is the need to have done the assessed practicals. I believe next summer is the first year that the new A-level exams (i.e. not AS) will be sat, so you could definitely take the exams (but your AS Physics wouldn't count for anything), but I'm not sure how you would go about doing the practicals. Have you thought about doing Further Maths instead? No practicals/coursework, and you can get online tuition via FMSP (http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/fmmature).

That actually sounds like a much better idea actually now I am looking into it, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest