The Student Room Group

Do you feel as if you had good career advice growing up?

And who has given you the best advice?

Scroll to see replies

No career advice whatsoever back at school. Not too much from my parents either.

I'm hoping to get into the police force.
Original post by scrawlx101

Nothing, had to learn by myself from books and youtube that its about what interests you since Lawyer,Doctor,Dentist,engineer and their degrees did not appeal to me.

History appeals to me but the academic careers arent that appealing, I have a calling inside me and I am going for it. When I make it I will give TSR a shout out
I did but it was all wrong advise

I was told nothing about Grad schemes, psycho tests, ACs, internships, converting internships into full time places, that big firms only have 1 maybe 2 intakes a year, needing certain GCSEs etc.

It was kind of a baptism of fire.
Reply 4
do you remember bloody Connexions?

all my careers advisers told me to go to them and that they'd help me with apprenticeships in the career of my choice. but they never did.
went to them several times and all they ever did was give me leaflets and brochures - some that i already had - with standard information that i already knew about and no help whatsoever. place was run by chavs as well

and then they called me once to say did you think connextions helped you well enough and i was just honest, i was like sorry but they were no help whatsoever, all they ever do is give me stupid little booklets with information of what the apprenticeship is but thats about it and they were like oh sorry, what is it you wanted? so i told him in detail what i needed help with and he said ok i will now send you all the relevant information and sources you need... and what did i get? - another copy of the same damn booklet i already had!!!

waste of my damn time!
Nothing at all. Brought up in care in the 40's to 60's. No one ever asked what we wanted to do. Boys went in the Army, girls into service or sent to Australia.
Reply 6

Lol no. Careers advice from schools and parents is pretty much a shambles.

Learnt everything by myself through networking and thorough research and am trying to dispel the myths others get thrown at them from relatives, school careers advice, parents etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BabyLadDarren
I did but it was all wrong advise

I was told nothing about Grad schemes, psycho tests, ACs, internships, converting internships into full time places, that big firms only have 1 maybe 2 intakes a year, needing certain GCSEs etc.

It was kind of a baptism of fire.

Literally this^

Careers advice is so out of touch with what is actually happening and what people need to be prepared

Posted from TSR Mobile
none from parents
minimal advice from school apart from how to use UCAS

i learned about grad schemes, psychometric tests, internships, linkedin, extracurricular projects from the internet.

there are some people on youtube who offer good career advice. look on youtube for engineered truth and aaron clarey
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Seamus123
Nothing at all. Brought up in care in the 40's to 60's. No one ever asked what we wanted to do. Boys went in the Army, girls into service or sent to Australia.

How old are you?
No wonder No one was satisfied with their careers advice. Everyone out for themselves and therefore hurt others, most don't "get over it" that easily and continue to be trapped in a vicious cycle of negativity. And are we surprised at the number of people claiming they have a mental health problem?
I got zero advice so I went and I taught myself what I needed it was quite fun turning up at the career office and mentioning how many ounces of silver and grams of gold I had bought at the weekend

The best career advice I got was from this website and other online sources, especially for careers in banking, consulting, law, technology, medicine, engineering and politics, advice in school was absolutely useless.

Went to a below average state school though, maybe it is better elsewhere.

I now know friends from private schools for example, and they tell me that senior people from those industries would actively come and speak to them. Such a game-changer. This is what every school should do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Really? What did you actually do?
Original post by Commercial Paper
The best career advice I got was from this website and other online sources, especially for careers in banking, consulting, law, technology, medicine, engineering and politics, advice in school was absolutely useless.

Went to a below average state school though, maybe it is better elsewhere.

I now know friends from private schools for example, and they tell me that senior people from those industries would actively come and speak to them. Such a game-changer. This is what every school should do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same story here.

At my old (private) school, we had a couple parents come in to talk about their jobs and had a few company representatives (as it was an international school so largely paid for by companies anyway as part of expat packages) come in to give talks to even us elementary school kids. The difference in awareness and network is huge from private to most state schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Popcorns
Really? What did you actually do?

Some girls and boys were sent to Australia - child migrants. It cost £5 for a passage to Australia, cheaper than the cost of care in Britain.
I was sent to London as a mother's help to the Tate&Lyle family when I was 15. I couldn't cope with the life with no support so was sent to the Magdalene Laundries in Ireland. I got married in 1971 and had my first child in 1972. My husband was a doctor. He died of Motor Neurone Disease. I remarried in 1975, had 6 more children, divorced him in 1983.
In 1998, I did an Access to the Humanities and got a place on my Criminology degree. One of my daughters had a baby boy in 1999. He was very poorly and I had to take custody of him. I had to drop out of Uni. I never sent him to school. I homeschooled him and he's 17 now and started college last year and I went back to uni last year to do my Criminology degree.
Not really. Went to a private secondary school, we had a careers session once a week in year 11 but quite honestly I can't remember what happened in them. It was just lead by the careers lady, no outside organisations. We also did one of those careers questionaires which came out with options like translator/interpretor even though I'm not fluent in any other languages.
Advice in Sixth Form (state) was non existent.

I worked out what I wanted to do careers wise myself by going onto the prospects website page for International Relations and took it from there. I think it was around the same time I learnt about the importance of work experience and about internships e.c.t.

I can't comment on careers advice at university as I knew what I wanted to do by then so I didn't seek it out.
Some girls and boys were sent to Australia - child migrants. It cost £5 for a passage to Australia, cheaper than the cost of care in Britain.
I was sent to London as a mother's help to the Tate&Lyle family when I was 15. I couldn't cope with the life with no support so was sent to the Magdalene Laundries in Ireland. I got married in 1971 and had my first child in 1972. My husband was a doctor. He died of Motor Neurone Disease. I remarried in 1975, had 6 more children, divorced him in 1983.
In 1998, I did an Access to the Humanities and got a place on my Criminology degree. One of my daughters had a baby boy in 1999. He was very poorly and I had to take custody of him. I had to drop out of Uni. I never sent him to school. I homeschooled him and he's 17 now and started college last year and I went back to uni last year to do my Criminology degree.
Erm wow I'll have to take your word for it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending