The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances

I am about to start my second year. My life is pretty busy. So I get the feeling I might have to use some good excuses so I can get extensions on my assignments.

What are good examples of extenuating circumstances? What have you used, or found to be useful as an excuse? Interested to hear views on this.
Original post by hypothesis101
I am about to start my second year. My life is pretty busy. So I get the feeling I might have to use some good excuses so I can get extensions on my assignments.

What are good examples of extenuating circumstances? What have you used, or found to be useful as an excuse? Interested to hear views on this.

Anything with real proof :h:

But to be honest, if you're too busy for uni then you should consider... not going. :lol:
Reply 2
Interested to hear views on this.

Do the work like everyone else has to.

Unbusy your life. You signed up to do a degree, so get on with it and stop trying to worm your way out of working at it.
Reply 3
Many people are busy.
Most of those people know how to prioritize, not be lazy, and do the work themselves in time though.
Maybe you should learn to manage your life better.
Original post by Klix88
Do the work like everyone else has to.

Unbusy your life. You signed up to do a degree, so get on with it and stop trying to worm your way out of working at it.

Firstly there are factors in your life that you cannot "unbusy"

I am ready to work, but there might be times when I am struggling, so as part of my strategy the option of using EC for work extensions is something I would like to consider.

I'm not trying to worm my way out - don't make assumptions like that and watch your attitude.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Maybe you should learn to manage your life better.

You know nothing about my life, so maybe you should keep quite. Could do without your views.
Reply 7
Firstly there are factors in your life that you cannot "unbusy"

In that case, you might consider whether they actually constitute genuine grounds for claiming ECs. You may have no need to try cheating the system - it could work in your favour.

Otherwise, you have clearly over-committed yourself by signing up to full-time study. Your uni may offer a part-time option which better fits with the rest of your life. Or maybe you need to delay uni until you're able to do the work in the permitted timescales.

I am ready to work, but there might be times when I am struggling, so as part of my strategy the option of using EC for work extensions is something I would like to consider.

If you are struggling to do the work, have you asked your Student Support department for advice and assistance? There may be legitimate ways in which you/the uni can make your study life much easier. ECs are for exceptional circumstances and are not intended as a coping strategy.

I'm not trying to worm my way out - don't make assumptions like that

Your original post says that you are looking for "excuses". You made it sound like you are trying to worm your way out. No point blaming others for the impression you're giving.

Without knowing the reasons for your situaton, all respondents here are limited to making assumptons. Either provide more info on what is making you so busy that you can't do coursework in time, or advice based on assumptions, is all we can give you.

watch your attitude.

One could say the same to you - if one thought that one had the power to control what other people thought or posted. Sadly, neither of us do.

If you are unhappy with my replies, you are free to report them to the Mods ("Report" button at the top right of each post). Otherwise, as long as I adhere to TSR posting rules, I consider myself free to post what I please.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
In your other current thread, you're telling us that you're not looking forward to the second year because you're bored, unengaged and outright not willing to work.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67488514&highlight=

It really does sound like you just can't be arsed. It's make your mind up time. Commit and succeed.

P.S. If you honestly think you're suffering from depression, help is available. But you do need to seek it out and ask for it. Your Student Support department can definitely advise on that aspect.
Original post by Klix88
In your other current thread, you're telling us that you're not looking forward to the second year because you're bored, unengaged and outright not willing to work.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67488514&highlight=

It really does sound like you just can't be arsed. It's make your mind up time. Commit and succeed.

P.S. If you honestly think you're suffering from depression, help is available. But you do need to seek it out and ask for it. Your Student Support department can definitely advise on that aspect.

Thanks for the lecture, but it was unnecessary. You should have made a cup of tea.
Thanks for the lecture, but it was unnecessary. You should have made a cup of tea.

Is there really any need to be so rude?
lol there are people out there with genuine extenuating circumstances such are health issues or mental health etc.

You can't use them because they have to be genuine and your doctors etc have to back it up with official on going evidence soooo
Original post by Tiger Rag
Is there really any need to be so rude?

Oh sorry, are you the partner?
Reply 13

I did both.

Your posts have been inconsistent and contradictory. We can't really help you based on a shifting story. Glad to see that you're asking for research tips in another section. I really think that is a good way forward.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Unfortunately, you'll have to set aside some time to do your course. Try to learn and prioritise, maybe make a schedule? You shouldn't be using excuses. You could come up with thousands of excuses, but you would still have to do the work, regardless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending