The Student Room Group

How to make my first year of uni go by as fast as possible?

I'm starting a local uni next week and I hate the place but ended up there because of a rash decision I made (because I was in clearing on results day). The uni I want to go to says its too late to apply now but if I was to gain a first in my first year, I can transfer there for second year entry. So, I was wondering how can I make the first year of uni go by as quickly as possible? Any tips?
Reply 1
I don't think you should go to this university with the intent of transferring, it will make your first year miserable because this isn't where you want to be. You know this before you've even started.

Take a gap year.
I would not say there is a way to make it go as quick as possible...

But there is such a thing as either grin and bear it (which is what I did ) as I hated my course/university too ..... or leave.
I have finished my first year and just about to start at open university, on the same course , and I could not be happier! :smile:
Have fun.
Reply 4
Original post by Ishax
I don't think you should go to this university with the intent of transferring, it will make your first year miserable because this isn't where you want to be. You know this before you've even started.
Take a gap year.

I would take a gap year but the uni I want to go to said I could pretty much get in for second yr entry because I meet their a level requirements. I'm already 20 so I'd rather not take another year out if ygm? I just want to 'keep my head down' and work this year but I was wondering if anyone else had tips if they were in same position?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I would take a gap year but the uni I want to go to said I could pretty much get in for second yr entry because I meet their a level requirements. I'm already 20 so I'd rather not take another year out if ygm? I just want to 'keep my head down' and work this year but I was wondering if anyone else had tips if they were in same position?

That's true, why don't you like the university? One year wouldn't make a difference. Just go in with a open mind, focus on your work and make progress.

But you're going to waste an extra year anyway, why do it on uni? It will cost you a ton, you will only do very basic first course stuff which isn't that impressive, when instead you can spend the year making money and investing it in some good way in the future. You could find some kind of business / side hustle to do and develop it over the year. Is that not much better?
Reply 7
Original post by Ishax
That's true, why don't you like the university? One year wouldn't make a difference. Just go in with a open mind, focus on your work and make progress.

Too local plus I hate the people I know who go there

Original post by LibertyMan
But you're going to waste an extra year anyway, why do it on uni? It will cost you a ton, you will only do very basic first course stuff which isn't that impressive, when instead you can spend the year making money and investing it in some good way in the future. You could find some kind of business / side hustle to do and develop it over the year. Is that not much better?

Its not exactly wasting because I'll be able to transfer to the second yr of that course at the other uni. I've laready taken 2 years out so I just want to complete my degree/finish my education and then move onto the next stage of my life. It feels as if I'm prolonging it by taking another yr out

Its not exactly wasting because I'll be able to transfer to the second yr of that course at the other uni. I've laready taken 2 years out so I just want to complete my degree/finish my education and then move onto the next stage of my life. It feels as if I'm prolonging it by taking another yr out

Oh right, well if it will let you transfer straight to the 2nd- then fair play, but hey, dude, you shouldn't be so solemn about it! It's a whole year after all, you should make the most out of it. Enjoy yourself, and make good friends in that year who could be good contacts later on. Don't let yourself waste potentially precious time!
I'm starting a local uni next week and I hate the place but ended up there because of a rash decision I made (because I was in clearing on results day). The uni I want to go to says its too late to apply now but if I was to gain a first in my first year, I can transfer there for second year entry. So, I was wondering how can I make the first year of uni go by as quickly as possible? Any tips?

Will you get a first?

Why not just drop out and reapply to the Uni you wnat to go to for next year? That way you wont incur fees. If you need higher grades then surely resit? Seems a bit counterintuitive relying on getting a first.

work hard ofc and keep busy.
Listen to Nate Dogg and "Smoke Weed Everyday!"
Original post by 999tigger
Will you get a first?

Why not just drop out and reapply to the Uni you wnat to go to for next year? That way you wont incur fees. If you need higher grades then surely resit? Seems a bit counterintuitive relying on getting a first.

work hard ofc and keep busy.

I got AAC at A levels so I dont really want to retake and yh I'm gonna work my ass off to get that first. I just don't want this year to drag lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending