The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=Airmed;67635750]I suppose I look alright right now, if I am really, really honest with myself (even though I have severe body confidence issues). I just need to tone up my stomach and my waist; my stomach is flat, it just could be flatter, if you get what I mean. I have a roundish face, due to a wide jaw, which gives off the impression that I am chubby under my clothes, but I haven't been chubby since I was a baby.

Thankfully I am not one of those girls. I don't have a petite body structure, I never will, so I know 8st is ridiculous for me.

Oh God, I sound so narcissistic sometimes. :redface:

I will look into compound lifts, but that won't be for another few weeks. New meds this week, apparently incredibly sedative, so I don't want to end up injuring myself. Best to try that when the side effects calm down.

Just a little bit of fat loss then and build muscle.

My advice would be to stay around maintenance and you can cut next spring. The aim would be to build strength, gain muscle which will make you feel better in terms of ability physically and also mentally (hopefully).

Not much you can do about your face, people will know you aren't fat. When you are really lean in summer time i'm sure that will help your face look more 'sculpted'.

Everyone is vain to a degree, i am. Don't judge others (that) harshly, i just scrutinise myself.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Do what you can and gradually do more
Reply 41
Original post by Unistudent77
Just a little bit of fat loss then and build muscle.

My advice would be to stay around maintenance and you can cut next spring. The aim would be to build strength, gain muscle which will make you feel better in terms of ability physically and also mentally (hopefully).

Not much you can do about your face, people will know you aren't fat. When you are really lean in summer time i'm sure that will help your face look more 'sculpted'.

Everyone is vain to a degree, i am. Don't judge others (that) harshly, i just scrutinise myself.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Do what you can and gradually do more

As least I am physically healthy and feeling a bit better mentally, I think I will do ok.

I have narcissistic personality disorder, one of my illnesses, so my vanity is rather extreme. /
[QUOTE=Airmed;67636152]As least I am physically healthy and feeling a bit better mentally, I think I will do ok.

I have narcissistic personality disorder, one of my illnesses, so my vanity is rather extreme. /

You will.
Many people use the gym and other forms of exercise to help them mentally. It does help to deal with today's society which is driven by image.

I see. Vanity driven by insecurity?
Reply 43
You will.
Many people use the gym and other forms of exercise to help them mentally. It does help to deal with today's society which is driven by image.

I see. Vanity driven by insecurity?

Yeah, it is, I guess. Though, I have worse personality disorders, it only tends to 'flare' (for want of a better word) when my appearance or intelligence is insulted. Probably about 30% of my thoughts is me believing that I am better than everyone else, with the remaining 70% of my thoughts is me self loathing in many, many ways.

I have a strange, complicated brain.
Reminds me of the first time i worked out holiday with my cousin , i did every machine almost for 3 sets of 12. I didn't move for the next week , had severe doms even eating was hard. Anyways , good luck
Reply 45
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Reminds me of the first time i worked out holiday with my cousin , i did every machine almost for 3 sets of 12. I didn't move for the next week , had severe doms even eating was hard. Anyways , good luck

:eek:
[QUOTE=Airmed;67636588]Yeah, it is, I guess. Though, I have worse personality disorders, it only tends to 'flare' (for want of a better word) when my appearance or intelligence is insulted. Probably about 30% of my thoughts is me believing that I am better than everyone else, with the remaining 70% of my thoughts is me self loathing in many, many ways.

I have a strange, complicated brain.

I see. Got you.

I don't think that is 'that' unusual. Not undermining your condition, just meaning like it isn't that 'weird'.

In today's society i think most are somewhat self-conscious.

How did you get this diagnosed? Like, i'm unsure how a doctor or whatever would decide that you have a medical condition.

At least you are aware of it and have got help
Reply 47
I see. Got you.

I don't think that is 'that' unusual. Not undermining your condition, just meaning like it isn't that 'weird'.

In today's society i think most are somewhat self-conscious.

How did you get this diagnosed? Like, i'm unsure how a doctor or whatever would decide that you have a medical condition.

At least you are aware of it and have got help

Psychiatrist can only diagnose personality disorders. They really tear you apart, if I am completely honest. You have to meet certain symptoms within a certain time frame. I suppose what makes me different is what I think, feel, act etc, it stops me from having a healthy normal life, because it takes over all aspects of it - and that is why I am classed as ill.
[QUOTE=Airmed;67637216]Psychiatrist can only diagnose personality disorders. They really tear you apart, if I am completely honest. You have to meet certain symptoms within a certain time frame. I suppose what makes me different is what I think, feel, act etc, it stops me from having a healthy normal life, because it takes over all aspects of it - and that is why I am classed as ill.

I see. Well i suppose there is far more ambiguity in that field compared to a physical injury, hence why they have to really scrutinise you. Not pleasant i'd imagine.

Can these problems be overcome? Or is it more about managing the conditions?
Reply 49
I see. Well i suppose there is far more ambiguity in that field compared to a physical injury, hence why they have to really scrutinise you. Not pleasant i'd imagine.

Can these problems be overcome? Or is it more about managing the conditions?

Not extremely pleasant. I don't like to talk about certain things.

They can be overcome in many cases, but in mine it is more just managing it, really. Some help is better than no help, though.
[QUOTE=Airmed;67637698]Not extremely pleasant. I don't like to talk about certain things.

They can be overcome in many cases, but in mine it is more just managing it, really. Some help is better than no help, though.

I can imagine. I can probably guess what those things are, particularly with your 'self-loathing' comments.

Hopefully you can be happier within yourself in the future, just search for improvement
Reply 51
21/9/16:

Hip abduction: 18kg for 5 minutes

Power plate: leg stretches: 1 minute each leg; front plank: 30 seconds

Seated leg curl: 14.4kg for 5 minutes

Leg curl: 12.1kg for 5 minutes

Converging chest press: 6.7kg for 5 minutes

Power plate: squat: 45 seconds; 2 x glute bridge 60 seconds; v sit: 45 seconds

Leg press: 11kg for 5 minutes

Stretches when at home,
Reply 52
24/9/16:

So, I started my new medication last night after being cold turkey and feeling awful all week. If I am brutally honest, I have had a horrible week. Between being messed around by my psychiatrist, a bruised arm still from blood tests over a week ago, hallucinations, headaches, lack of sleep, and a serious acne flare up, my energy levels have been horrible.

I have been thinking a lot also, distracted quite a bit. I have been diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) after 9 and a half years of irregular, horrible, painful periods, weight gain and loss, acne,and horrendous mood swings. The future implications aren’t pretty, and there is not a lot that can be done for me.

Seated leg curl: 14.4kg for 5 minutes

Leg curl: 13.3kg for 5 minutes

Converging chest press: 6.7kg for 5 minutes

Power plate: squat: 45 seconds; 2 x glute bridge: 60 seconds; v sit: 45seconds

Leg press: 11kg for 5 minutes

I have my Box Fit class tomorrow. Gym wise, next week is looking a bit hard to squeeze in. I have 2 society meetings, the dentist, and one of my lecturers (rudely) scheduled class on Wednesday afternoon. We usually have Wednesdays off, and I usually do archive volunteering then. I have now had to swap that in for Wednesday morning, when I would try to go to the gym. However, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday I plan to go. Perhaps Friday too. My schedule was going to fall into perfect place finally this week, until my lecturer screwed that over.
Reply 53
25/9/16:

Box Fit class, plus stretches: 45 minutes.

Took the class easy today. Medication is really ****ing with me today, tbh.
Reply 54
*was meant to post this yesterday but forgot*

29/9/16:

Hip abduction: 18kg for minutes

Seated leg curl: 14.4kg for minutes

Leg curl: 18kg for 5 minutes

Converging chest press: 7.9kg for 5 minutes

Power plate: squat 45 seconds, 2 x glute bridge 60 seconds; v sit 45 seconds

Leg press: 13.3kg for 5 minutes

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
1/10/16:

Feeling woeful due to period, but still went to the gym, and I will go tomorrow as well. Exercise is meant to help, and I will take all the help I can get.

Power plate: leg stretches: 1 minute each leg;front plank: 30 seconds

Warm up skipping: 3 minutes (we do this to warm up in Box Fit, and I seriously enjoy it, weirdly).

Rower setting 6: 2.5 minutes

Leg extension: 18kg for 1 minutes; 15.6kg for 4 minutes

Converging chest press: 7.9kg for 2 minutes

Leg press: 18kg for 5 minutes

Think I need to step up my game, tbh. Doesn’t help that I now have to write 7000 words in the next 3 weeks for uni (2 essays). But I will do this.
Reply 56
Yeah, no...not going today. I'm in such incredible pain, it hurts to move. Bloodu stupid period. So I will be skipping my Box Fit class and I can't help but berate myself for it. :cry2: Will just have to do an extra workout this coming week to make up for it.
Reply 57
Two updates:

4/10/:

Warm up skipping: 3minutes

Seated dip: 16.3kg for 5 minutes

Diverging Seated rower: 14kg for 3 minutes

Leg extension: 20.2kg for 1 minute

7/10:

Power plate: leg stretches: 1 minute each leg; front plank: 30 seconds;squat 45 seconds

Seated dip: 16.3kg for 3 minutes

Diverging Seated rower: 14kg for 3 minutes

Seated leg curl: 18kg for 5 minutes

Leg extension:13.2kg for 4 minutes

Power plate: glute bridge x2 for 45 seconds; v sit for 45 seconds; leg stretches: 1 minute each leg

It is my birthday tomorrow, and I have yet again had a **** week. Hallucinations and Depo injections. Also found out that I am anemic again. :redface:
Following.

:hide:
Reply 59
A few updates incoming. I have been having a few horrible weeks, so to get to the gym itself is an achievement itself. Nearly threw up in my Box Fit class on Sunday past. Never mind my body mentally giving out on me, it is physically giving out on me too. :frown:

9/10:

Box Fit plus stretches: 45 minutes

13/10:
Left knee twinging a lot today.

Power plate: leg stretches: 1 minute each leg; front plank: 30 seconds; squat 45 seconds

Hip abduction: 25kg for 3 minutes

Seated dip: 14kg for 4 minutes

Leg extension: 13.2kg for 3 minutes

Power plate: glute bridge x2 for 45 seconds; v sit for 45 seconds; leg stretches: 1 minute each leg

16/10:

Hip abduction: 25kg for 1 minute

Rower (Setting 3): 3 minutes

Box Fit plus stretches: 45 minutes

Latest