The Student Room Group

My Parents dont want me to live on my own for uni

Let me start by saying I do not come from a well off background so financially it makes sense for them to make me stay at home, and I understand why they want me to do that. My parents came from quite a poor background from another country and worked their way up from nothing to where they are today.

Uni accomodation is expensive, lets not forget that. I was told that I get a 3k grant and the rest I have to pay for the oncoming years. My parents and I don't really have a lot of cash to throw around...and its hard to find a well paying job (theres a shortage of jobs already) and its hard to balance that (assuming I do get a job) with university life, studying, etc.

Where I live, the closest university is a pretty good one (Aston) and its a top 30 university...but I could also get into russell group universities with the grades I'm predicted to get for computer science,and these universities are placed higher in the rankings...and I don't want to miss out on this opportunity of choosing the correct university for myself.

Thoughts? Its not like I dont want to live at home and study, I dont want to miss out on university life and I dont want to have to apply for extremely low ranked universities just because they're closer to me. :frown:
Original post by Spratty
Let me start by saying I do not come from a well off background so financially it makes sense for them to make me stay at home, and I understand why they want me to do that. My parents came from quite a poor background from another country and worked their way up from nothing to where they are today.

Uni accomodation is expensive, lets not forget that. I was told that I get a 3k grant and the rest I have to pay for the oncoming years. My parents and I don't really have a lot of cash to throw around...and its hard to find a well paying job (theres a shortage of jobs already) and its hard to balance that (assuming I do get a job) with university life, studying, etc.

Where I live, the closest university is a pretty good one (Aston) and its a top 30 university...but I could also get into russell group universities with the grades I'm predicted to get for computer science,and these universities are placed higher in the rankings...and I don't want to miss out on this opportunity of choosing the correct university for myself.

Thoughts? Its not like I dont want to live at home and study, I dont want to miss out on university life and I dont want to have to apply for extremely low ranked universities just because they're closer to me. :frown:

Do you have any idea how you might pay for uni if you went to one further away? Look into scholarships and grants from each uni. It sounds like it would be worth applying to Aston. It is still a good uni without being too far. Have you visited yet? It would be really worth doing so. You might find it's perfect for you, or not, and that'll help you figure things out. Think about whether you would enjoy studying away and working part time more, or staying home and having more time to play with
Reply 2
Original post by Spratty

If you're not from a well off background you ought to be eligible for the full student loan (circa £8k every year).
Even the highest accommodations tend to come under that.
I can't see any reason why, assuming you are eligible for the loan, cannot go to whatever uni you want.
Reply 3
Original post by Inazuma
If you're not from a well off background you ought to be eligible for the full student loan (circa £8k every year).
Even the highest accommodations tend to come under that.
I can't see any reason why, assuming you are eligible for the loan, cannot go to whatever uni you want.

Thanks for the advice but jesus ****ing christ thats 8,200 a year on top of £9000 a year. Assuming I do a 3 year course thats 51K I have to pay back.
Reply 4
Original post by Spratty
Thanks for the advice but jesus ****ing christ thats 8,200 a year on top of £9000 a year. Assuming I do a 3 year course thats 51K I have to pay back.

It's not a big deal. It's the most favourable loan in existence.
You only pay back on what you earn over ~~£21k a year, written off after ~30 years... has no effect on credit rating or anything. Frankly compared to taxes, it's a drop in the ocean lol, within my yearly net breakdown, I pay approx 12 times more in tax than I do loan.

Getting a bad education and losing out on becoming independent all because it seems like a lot, is a far worse idea.
Original post by Spratty

Your thread title bears little resemblance to your post content.
What is your question?

Ignoring that I agree with the point Inazuma made. You talk about your parents having no money but then you talk about being limited to £3k.

Depending on your income then you cna get the loan as detailed below.
If you get less then your parent are expected to make up the difference.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/continuing-fulltime-students. That is a lot more than £3k, especually if you pick London.

As far as I understood it the grants were being scrapped next year and only a loan would be available? Have you done any research into this?

As to whether to go to a local Uni or a better one you ahve the grades for , then imo I would go to the best uni my grades could get me into on a course I wished to study and also I would wnat to go to the place as a uni experience. If I didnt have the money this year I would gap, get a job and save up the money till I had sufficient finance to do so. This might take longer but it makes sure I dont comrpomise Uni and I get the full uni experience.
Original post by Spratty

Hello :smile:,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
The first thing that comes to mind is; can you not apply for Student Finance England? You say your family isn't from a 'well-off' background but that surely means you can get close to £8,000 from Student Finance England and that will help with accommodation and costs - also, there are a lot of different bursaries and grants that you may be eligible for to help you.

It's understandable that they'd want you to stay at home - however, getting away to university and being independent is important. Also, why could you not get a small part-time job to help you save up some money for university and support yourself?

You need to do some research into universities that you'd like to go to, see what they can offer you, look at different accommodation and such and what funding you can get and go from there.

There is always a way!

Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending