The Student Room Group

I got my braces off today, AMA about my braces or teeth or gums.

title

Scroll to see replies

How long did you have them on? What was wrong with your teeth in the first place?
Lolled at the title.
Wear your retainers after
I had mine on for a year and a half. :smile: Now I wear my retainers at night :tongue: Make sure you do otherwise all that pain will go to waste because your teeth will move back into what they looked like before. :redface:
Original post by undine_monty
How long did you have them on? What was wrong with your teeth in the first place?

nearly 2 years, my front teeth were leaning forward, the side teeth weren't coming out all the way.
Original post by Eternalflames
Wear your retainers after

I'm getting my retainers on Wednesday.
How do you actually take care of your braces? Like do you eat with them on or off? Do you brush your teeth with them on or off?
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
title

I've never needed braces, what do they feel like and what do they do?
Original post by sweetstars
How do you actually take care of your braces? Like do you eat with them on or off? Do you brush your teeth with them on or off?

They're worn permanently because the brackets are glued on to the teeth. They don't come off till it's time to get them removed.
Oh... But I had a friend who removed her braces everytime she ate?

They're worn permanently because the brackets are glued on to the teeth. They don't come off till it's time to get them removed.
What colour were your braces?
nearly 2 years, my front teeth were leaning forward, the side teeth weren't coming out all the way.

I got mine 2 weeks ago tommorow and I only have to wear them 9 months :smile:. I have gaps of varying sizes between each and every tooth except my bottom front 4 and my back molars.

My orthodontist told me that I have a 'strong tongue' which pushed out my teeth causing the gaps that are now being closed.

How long and how often do you need to wear your retainer?

you cant take braces off. I think you've gotten it mixed up with retainers. retainers can be taken off, you have to eat with retainers off, and brushing when off, but you have to keep them on for at least 6 months.
Oh... But I had a friend who removed her braces everytime she ate?

There are different types, the fixed train-tracks everyone associates as braces and there's also removable types which are like clear retainers fit around your teeth that you need to wear full time, unless you're eating. This type is called Invisalign and it works in the same way regular braces do except they're more cosmetic and less noticeable than ordinary braces.
(edited 7 years ago)
when you have them on, it makes your lips look bigger(it did for me), you don't really feel them, you just get used to them being there. braces are wires, they react to heat, the wires are curved at first, dentists put them on brackets. Brackets are squares that are put onto the teeth. Because of the heat from the mouth, the braces go back to the original shape, causing the teeth to move.
Oh, so is there a specific that you get depending on the condition of your teeth or is it random. Then, is the fixed train-track the most common?
There are different types, the fixed train-tracks everyone associates as braces and there's also removable types which are like clear retainers fit around your teeth that you need to wear full time, unless you're eating. This type is called Invisalign and it works in the same way regular braces do except they're more cosmetic and less noticeable than ordinary braces.
when you have them on, it makes your lips look bigger(it did for me), you don't really feel them, you just get used to them being there. braces are wires, they react to heat, the wires are curved at first, dentists put them on brackets. Brackets are squares that are put onto the teeth. Because of the heat from the mouth, the braces go back to the original shape, causing the teeth to move.

How does that work when your teeth are permanently in place?
Original post by Ayaz789
What colour were your braces?

I didn't put on a colour, I left it silver

I got mine 2 weeks ago tommorow and I only have to wear them 9 months :smile:. I have gaps of varying sizes between each and every tooth except my bottom front 4 and my back molars.

My orthodontist told me that I have a 'strong tongue' which pushed out my teeth causing the gaps that are now being closed.

How long and how often do you need to wear your retainer?

All the time except when eating or brushing or sleeping, for at least 6 months.
Oh, so is there a specific that you get depending on the condition of your teeth or is it random. Then, is the fixed train-track the most common?

Train-tracks are the most common because they're the type provided by the NHS for kids/teens. When going private, they're also the cheapest type of brace. Train tracks can be fitted for most if not all teeth, regardless of the problem.

The other types of braces are available privately and these may not be suitable for certain types of teeth problems.

Quick Reply

Latest