The Student Room Group

How to be a competitive post-grad candidate.

So im due to start studying neuroscience in September which is what I've akways wanted to do. However I'm thinking about the possibility of postgraduate medicine in the future. I know it's very competitive. So I was wondering what things peoole recomend I do over the next 4 years to make myself a good candidate?
Reply 1
1. Get a 1st in your degree
2. Get work experience early
3.?????
4. Profit
Make sure you get a 2:1. Only a couple of places ask for a first, but a 2:1 will keep most places open, if you get less you'll be really limited.

Get work experience. Warwick currently ask for 70 hours in the past 2 years when you apply, so don't necessarily get it all early, or if you do acknowledge that you might need more.

It's far into the future, but don't underestimate the value of entrance tests. If it's possible for you and you want to apply to UKCAT unis, maybe sit the UKCAT the summer before you need it to apply as practice is good.

Try and save some money. At the moment you need £3465 in Y1 towards fees, but this may change in subsequent years. Also, it never hurts to have some savings for the long terms in graduate medicine!
Reply 3
I'm currently a nursing assitant that will count as relevant work experience right? Do you know if there are any GCSE/A level requirements? Or is all of that irrelevant by that point?
Original post by D.JSullivan
I'm currently a nursing assitant that will count as relevant work experience right? Do you know if there are any GCSE/A level requirements? Or is all of that irrelevant by that point?

Yeah, that sounds like really good experience. Some unis have requirements for GCSEs and A-Levels http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
But there are choices that don't consider earlier achievement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending