The Student Room Group

Civil partnerships for straight couples - should we introduce them?

Poll

Should opposite-sex civil partnerships be legalised in the UK?

Recently, a straight couple on the Isle of Man became the first in the British Isles to get an opposite-sex civil partnership. It's currently not legal anywhere in the UK proper. Should we change that?

I can see why people might think it a bit unnecessary, as they were originally devised for gay couples to provide the rights of marriage without the terminology. But if the campaign for same-sex marriage proves anything, it's that that terminology matters. There's a certain association of 'marriage' with a higher degree of commitment - 'civil partnerships' sound like purely legalistic concept, whereas marriage feels to many more personal and genuine. In other words, there'll be straight couples for whom 'marriage' sounds too big a step, but who would be willing to get a 'civil partnership' for legal and official purposes. I don't see any reason not to let them do so.
Reply 1
Nay.

While i have no principal objection to the idea i don't really see the point. So far as i'm concerned you can get legally married as people always have and then attach whatever label you want to it be it partners or concubines.
Original post by Rakas21
Nay.

While i have no principal objection to the idea i don't really see the point. So far as i'm concerned you can get legally married as people always have and then attach whatever label you want to it be it partners or concubines.

Why?
Maybe its a 'marriage' essentially for people who dont particularly care for the traditional conception of marriage?

I don't see the point; but I also don't see the harm. Plus it will trigger religious nut jobs. Go for it.
Reply 4
Yes I think we should introduce them. Marriage isn't an one sized fits all kind of deal especially with the roots and background of marriage and if a couple feel that a civil partnership may suit them better, regardless of their gender, then they should be allowed to enter a civil partnership.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I think we should just scrap any legal frameworkmfor marriage entirely.
Reply 6
Original post by ckfeister
Why?

Because it's pointlessly beaurocratic and offers no real benefit except to those who don't like 'labels'.

As i said, call you and your partner whatever you want.. but for legal purposes it's a simple 'are you married, yes, no'.
Original post by Rakas21
Because it's pointlessly beaurocratic and offers no real benefit except to those who don't like 'labels'.

As i said, call you and your partner whatever you want.. but for legal purposes it's a simple 'are you married, yes, no'.

Marriage is religious, civil could be a new form of marriage thats for non-religious people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending