The Student Room Group

5 A-levels

Hi,
I am currently studying 11 GCSE's and on track to get 8-9 in them. I dont know what a-levels I should pick- I want to adventually study medicine however I really enjoy studying languages and do not want to give them up as otherwise I will not have an oppitunity to study them. The subjects I am intrested in are:
Maths
Biology
Chemestry
French
Spanish
My local sixth form have told me that I need 12 level eight gcses to study 4 levels and they dont let people study 5- what should i do?
I am not going to make the grade for studying 4 a levels as i am only doing 11 gcses. I would really like to be able to do 5 a levles. Should I try and apply for a bursary at the nearby private school of sixfrom ? I dont know if i would be eligable as i am a year older than everyone ealse in my year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You don't want to do 5 A-levels trust me, do either 4 or 3, unis only ask for 3 and it allows you to focus on less subjects to get better grades.
Original post by glassanimal
Hi,
I am currently studying 11 GCSE's and on track to get 8-9 in them. I dont know what a-levels I should pick- I want to adventually study medicine however I really enjoy studying languages and do not want to give them up as otherwise I will not have an oppitunity to study them. The subjects I am intrested in are:
Maths
Biology
Chemestry
French
Spanish
My local sixth form have told me that I need 12 level eight gcses to study 4 levels and they dont let people study 5- what should i do?
I am not going to make the grade for studying 4 a levels as i am only doing 11 gcses. I would really like to be able to do 5 a levles. Should I try and apply for a bursary at the nearby private school of sixfrom ? I dont know if i would be eligable as i am a year older than everyone ealse in my year.

why do you want to do 5
Original post by ishaniss
why do you want to do 5

because i want to subjects that will allow me to study medicine but i also want to learn languages
Original post by finn61
You don't want to do 5 A-levels trust me, do either 4 or 3, unis only ask for 3 and it allows you to focus on less subjects to get better grades.

THe local sixform says that i cannot even do 4 as i am only doing 11 GCSE's opposed to 12
because i want to subjects that will allow me to study medicine but i also want to learn languages

you only require 3 or 4 a levels to do medicine. have you thought about learning your languages elsewhere outside of school
Hi,
Maths
Biology
Chemestry
French
Spanish

Are you in Year 10? To be honest, I wouldn't take 5, even 4 is arguably a bit superfluous. The workload presented by 5 A-levels is huge, and many will/may struggle. It seems extremely odd, and definitely over the top, to require 12 8s at GCSE. Maybe you should ask what the conditions are if one is taking less? If you're allowed to do 4, maybe drop one of the languages, and only do one?
Original post by ishaniss
you only require 3 or 4 a levels to do medicine. have you thought about learning your languages elsewhere outside of school

I cannot learn languages out side school- my familly have no money- we cannot go abroad
Also i live in a very small town where there are nothing like language classes

All universities, including oxford and Cambridge make offers based on three A Levels, just do three and utilise the free periods to get as high a grade as possible (you'll be wanting a* a* a) I find it unusual that your local sixth form asks for specifically 12 GCSEs, I do 4 at a selective grammar school and I was only required to get an average point score of an A, it shouldn't be based on quantitative stuff like that
Original post by Connor27
All universities, including oxford and Cambridge make offers based on three A Levels, just do three and utilise the free periods to get as high a grade as possible (you'll be wanting a* a* a) I find it unusual that your local sixth form asks for specifically 12 GCSEs, I do 4 at a selective grammar school and I was only required to get an average point score of an A, it shouldn't be based on quantitative stuff like that

Failing that do 4 and pick one language, you'll suffer doing 5 A Levels due to sheer workload
Original post by _gcx
Are you in Year 10? To be honest, I wouldn't take 5, even 4 is arguably a bit superfluous. The workload presented by 5 A-levels is huge, and many will/may struggle. It seems extremely odd, and definitely over the top, to require 12 8s at GCSE. Maybe you should ask what the conditions are if one is taking less? If you're allowed to do 4, maybe drop one of the languages, and only do one?

they want 12 8's at gcse to do FOUR alevels- as i am only doing 11 GCSE's No matter what grades i get i can only do THREE alevels
Reply 11
Only pick one language. They take up so much time at A level. You can pick up the other language at any time so you're just risking you're grades for nothing.
(edited 7 years ago)
they want 12 8's at gcse to do FOUR alevels- as i am only doing 11 GCSE's No matter what grades i get i can only do THREE alevels

12 8s? a) That's bloody obscene b) That's not possible if you're in Year 11 at the moment, only if you're in Year 10. (ie. you can only get 3 8s this year, EngLang/EngLit/Maths)

Have you tried contacting the school?

Do three then. All you need is 3 for uni and you can focus on getting A*A*A*
Reply 14
If you think you're talented enough, then do 5 if you really want to. However, I do 4 currently, and that is quite time consuming. I would recommend doing 4 max, but at the end of the day it's up to you. Do you have predicted grades for GCSE yet?
Original post by _gcx
12 8s? a) That's bloody obscene b) That's not possible if you're in Year 11 at the moment, only if you're in Year 10. (ie. you can only get 3 8s this year, EngLang/EngLit/Maths)

Have you tried contacting the school?

I am year 10- it is really unfair because last year to do 4 you needed 12 A*, But for my year we have an extra 1/3 of content added to our gcses so really we should only need 9 eights
Original post by thatawesomekid
If you think you're talented enough, then do 5 if you really want to. However, I do 4 currently, and that is quite time consuming. I would recommend doing 4 max, but at the end of the day it's up to you. Do you have predicted grades for GCSE yet?

level 8/9's
I am year 10- it is really unfair because last year to do 4 you needed 12 A*, But for my year we have an extra 1/3 of content added to our gcses so really we should only need 9 eights

It's a bit early to start worrying about sixth form then :P

Maybe look into another sixth form if you really want to do 4? I think they're overexaggerating, requiring 12A*s :/

You really shouldn't need 12 A*s to do 4 A Levels, that's surely exaggeration, I only got 2A* 8A 1B and I'm doing 4 A Levels
Reply 19
Hi,
Maths
Biology
Chemestry
French
Spanish

Are you sure you want to study OTHER languages already?

Quick Reply

Latest