The Student Room Group

Biology Osmosis Question A level

In the question I am given 2 cells, labelled Cell A and Cell B. If Cell A has a higher water potential and Cell B has a higher osmotic potential, which way does the water move?
Thanks
Water moves from a high potential to a low potential.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Water moves from a high potential to a low potential.

Doesn't really help, considering I have been given two types of potential.
Original post by IGCSETANK
Doesn't really help, considering I have been given two types of potential.

Wouldn't they just be opposites? Osmotic and water potential I mean. One would be the tendency of water to move from it and the other would be the tendency of water to move towards it

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Firenze26
Wouldn't they just be opposites? Osmotic and water potential I mean. One would be the tendency of water to move from it and the other would be the tendency of water to move towards it

P.S.

Yeah I don't really understand it...
Yeah I don't really understand it...

Osmotic potential refers to the movement of water from hypotonic (less solutes) to hypertonic (more solutes) solutions. So if something has a high osmotic potential, it would basically take water in. On the other hand, something with high water potential will have it's water move to another area.

P.S.

Reply 6
Original post by Firenze26
Osmotic potential refers to the movement of water from hypotonic (less solutes) to hypertonic (more solutes) solutions. So if something has a high osmotic potential, it would basically take water in. On the other hand, something with high water potential will have it's water move to another area.

P.S.

So your'e saying it would move from A to B?
So your'e saying it would move from A to B?

I'm pretty sure it would

P.S.

Quick Reply

Latest