The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Capture7.JPG
This is n't even a particularly difficult question but I keep getting 90% which is obviously wrong...I made the triangles side equal to 2 then got area of circle as pi/3 and area of triangle as 2/sqrt3
Reply 801
Original post by Someboady
Hey
Use part (i) in reverse
take a=3 and b = 2. take your n as 2014.
Then you can make that equal to the brackets given in part (i)

i.e.

(3-2)(3^2014 + .... + 2 ^ 2014)

The first bracket is equal to 1. This implies that the number is prime as a prime number is only divisible by one and itself.
Hope this helps:smile:

Hey thanks for your help, your way makes sense to me but the mark scheme writes it as (3^5-2^5)(3^2010.........2^2010) could you explain how they reached this?? thanks again
Original post by Mystery.
Yeah I am just doing it, what did you get?

a,b,c,a,c,b,d,d,b,b

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joodaa
Hey thanks for your help, your way makes sense to me but the mark scheme writes it as (3^5-2^5)(3^2010.........2^2010) could you explain how they reached this?? thanks again

Oh balls, sorry my answer was incorrect (I deleted the post)... I'm having a look at it now xD.. I just did the question and I thought I'd gotten it right without checking the solutions. Sorry! Working on it right now!
Capture7.JPG
This is n't even a particularly difficult question but I keep getting 90% which is obviously wrong...I made the triangles side equal to 2 then got area of circle as pi/3 and area of triangle as 2/sqrt3

Rather than giving the triangle a side length, express the area of the triangle as a function of the radius of the circle
Oh and how is 9^log3x = 4^log2x????
Original post by AlphaQuark
Rather than giving the triangle a side length, express the area of the triangle as a function of the radius of the circle

ok i'll try
Capture7.JPG

I got area of triangle as x^2/4 where x is side of traingle
Reply 808
Original post by Someboady
Oh balls, sorry my answer was incorrect (I deleted the post)... I'm having a look at it now xD.. I just did the question and I thought I'd gotten it right without checking the solutions. Sorry! Working on it right now!

ooo okay no worriess
Capture7.JPG

This is a guess but...

The radius of the circle seems to be about 1/3 of the height of the triangle.
Assume the triangle has length ll. Then the height of the triangle is l2(12l)2=32l\sqrt{l^2 - (\frac{1}{2}l)^2} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}l

The radius of the circle: r36lr \approx \frac{\sqrt{3}}{{6}}l and hence the area Ac3π36l2=π12l2A_c \approx \frac{3\pi}{36}l^2= \frac{\pi}{12}l^2

The area of the triangle: At34l2A_t \approx \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}l^2

Dividing through we get AcAt4π123=π3360%\frac{A_c}{A_t} \approx \frac{4\pi}{12\sqrt{3}} = \frac{\pi}{3\sqrt{3}} \approx 60\%
Original post by Nonamebzja
I got area of triangle as x^2/4 where x is side of traingle

how?
Original post by some-student
This is a guess but...

The radius of the circle seems to be about 1/3 of the height of the triangle.
Assume the triangle has length ll. Then the height of the triangle is l2(12l)2=32l\sqrt{l^2 - (\frac{1}{2}l)^2} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}l

The radius of the circle: r36lr \approx \frac{\sqrt{3}}{{6}}l and hence the area Ac3π36l2=π12l2A_c \approx \frac{3\pi}{36}l^2= \frac{\pi}{12}l^2

The area of the triangle: At34l2A_t \approx \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}l^2

Dividing through we get AcAt4π123=π3360%\frac{A_c}{A_t} \approx \frac{4\pi}{12\sqrt{3}} = \frac{\pi}{3\sqrt{3}} \approx 60\%

How do you do the actual percentage without a calculator?
how?

Sorry (root3 × x^2)/4
ok i'll try

Ok so I did that but I still have pi from the area of circle formula

Pie/3root3 i just did 1/root3 which is root3/3
(1.7×100)÷3 approx 60%😂

9log3x=32log3x=32logxlog3=(31log3)2logx=102logx9^{\log_3x} = 3^{2\log_3x} = 3^{\frac{2\log x}{\log 3}} = (3^{\frac{1}{\log 3}})^{2\log x} = 10^{2\log x} (10 assuming that log is to the base of 10... the reason for this is because 31log33^{\frac{1}{\log 3}} is like taking the log3\log 3 root of 3, which will go in 10 times, assuming log is to the base of 10)

4log2x=22log2x=22logxlog2=(21log2)2logx=102logx4^{\log_2x} = 2^{2\log_2x} = 2^{\frac{2\log x}{\log 2}} = (2^{\frac{1}{\log 2}})^{2\log x} = 10^{2\log x}

They are equal
Reply 816

The circle is the incircle of the triangle. There is a formula saying that area = (a+b+c/2) x radius of incircle (I'm pretty sure u could get a solution without these formulas but I'm lazy)

thus the ratio is pi*r^2/area = pi*r^2/sr where s is the semiperimeter (a+b+c/2)

r's cancel then we get pi*area/s^2. s=3a/2 area = sqrt3 / 4 * a^2

put back into formula then after lots of cancelling sqrt3*pi/9 which is roughly 3sqrt3/9 = sqrt3/3 which is about 2/3 so 60%

So 9 = 3^2
9^log3x=3^log3x^2 which is same as x^2
Same with rhs
Thanks so much everyone.
Reply 819
Original post by joodaa
Could someone explain q2 part IV of the 2015 paper? I dont understand how you can factorise it the way the mark scheme has
cheersss

Bump :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending