The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by Someboady
I still don't get it, do you mind explaining?

aha i'm not 100% sure so its probably best if the wizard dfranklin explains
So theoretically you can use 3^n and a^n where n is any integer bigger than 1?
Because they'd all be a factor right? or am I talking nonsense...
No, because you still need to be able to form a sum that comes to 3^2015 - 2^2015.

E.g. N = 3^6 - 2^6 = 729 - 64 = 665 = 5 * 7 * 19

I can write N = (3^2 - 2^2)((3^2)^2 + 2^2 3^2 + (2^2)^2) = 5 * 133

or I can write N = (3^3 - 2^3)(3^3 + 2^3) = 19 * 35

but if I try to do something similar with N = 3^4 - 2^4 it doesn't work (and it shouldn't, because 65 does NOT divide 665).

Something you should think about (and should be able to answer):

If I'm trying to use (i) to factor a^n - b^n by (a^k - b^k), what condition does k have to satisfy (the condition will involve n)?
Original post by DFranklin
No, because you still need to be able to form a sum that comes to 3^2015 - 2^2015.

E.g. N = 3^6 - 2^6 = 729 - 64 = 665 = 5 * 7 * 19

I can write N = (3^2 - 2^2)((3^2)^2 + 2^2 3^2 + (2^2)^2) = 5 * 133

or I can write N = (3^3 - 2^3)(3^3 + 2^3) = 19 * 35

but if I try to do something similar with N = 3^4 - 2^4 it doesn't work (and it shouldn't, because 65 does NOT divide 665).

Something you should think about (and should be able to answer):

If I'm trying to use (i) to factor a^n - b^n by (a^k - b^k), what condition does k have to satisfy (the condition will involve n)?

Does n have to be divisible by k?
Hey!

Can someone help explain 2014 q4 iv please? I dont get how the sine rule becomes the answer and how the angle ABX comes about?

Thanks
Original post by theaverage
Did you get the same multiple choice answers as me then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey so sorry, I have been really busy today so never got a chance to reply but I just checked and yup all same.
Does n have to be divisible by k?
Yup! :smile:
2015 mat was a great paprr
Hope it is similar this year as oxford do dish out some interesting questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 847
Original post by physicsmaths
2015 mat was a great paprr
Hope it is similar this year as oxford do dish out some interesting questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Love some subtle bragging about how much smarter people are :wink:
Original post by qeyoo
Love some subtle bragging about how much smarter people are :wink:

Lol I am at uni. I ain't sitting mat with you guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got 57 in the 2015 paper, it's a decent score relative to the successful applicant score but not quite there. I am still happy with the progress I have made taking into account my circumstances,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since you aced the MAT do you have any advice on timing?

I just did a paper in timed conditions but only managed to answer 3 of the 4 long questions. So only got (39/60) for the long questions ://

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just did a paper in timed conditions but only managed to answer 3 of the 4 long questions. So only got (39/60) for the long questions ://

Posted from TSR Mobile

He did STEP and is in Cambridge but you could say he aced the MAT since he did well in STEP lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
He did STEP and is in Cambridge but you could say he aced the MAT since he did well in STEP lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont want to say my mat score lol
I dont want to say my mat score lol

I think its in your bio

Posted from TSR Mobile

All I remember is always spending far too long on multiple choic3, i sat mat twice and the best thing i learnt is be very careful with it but always leave time for the rest. I cant remember exact timings but tbh some of the questions really arent 4 marks sometimes worth like 1 as in you can do them instantly and sometimes ridiculously long so do the quick ones quick, don'5 try check it 50 times just to make sure, if you got an answer straight away, check it again quickly and move on.
The worst part of the test is the mutiple choice, it is a lot of pressure and it wasn't even for my first choice!
Original post by Mystery.
I think its in your bio

I edited it out a few weeks ago.
Bit of dick move on my part tbh as it was showing off so much.
Lol its literally the only exam i completely aced.
Reply 856

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ik, still bragging though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qeyoo
Ik, still bragging though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok. I didnt say the paper was easy cause it wasn't it was hard.I just said it was interesting.
this may seem like a silly question but is it highly doable to get full marks for the MCQs? my section B rly isn't great.
Original post by danielhx
this may seem like a silly question but is it highly doable to get full marks for the MCQs? my section B rly isn't great.

Yep it is quite doable.
Just be careful i did maybe once in a past paper I THINK, i would normally make 1 or 2 mistakes and get 1 or 2 wrong sometimes 3/10. 7/10 is really the minimum, as its just worth so much
A very good way is sometimes process of elimination which speeds stuff up sometimes although it isn't intended I think. Not always best way though, you would have tl judge it on question by question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending