The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OxfordMathsDept
We'll mark it (provided we receive it), but as I said, we strongly prefer people to keep all of their working and answers inside the booklet.

So when will a mark scheme be released? Also, please let me know if anything i've posted has broken the rules and I'll change it : P
Original post by aasdasda
Do you still get marks for multiple choice if there is no working shown?
Yes (assuming of course you got the right answer(s)). Correct answers are the only thing you gain credit for in question 1.
Original post by aasdasda
Do you still get marks for multiple choice if there is no working shown?

Yes. And none if you get it wrong, regardless of working.
Original post by RuairiMorrissey
So when will a mark scheme be released? Also, please let me know if anything i've posted has broken the rules and I'll change it : P

Someone said the question paper will be uploaded on Friday and the mark scheme just after that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
I'd have though Oxford applicants would be smart enough to not post things about the exam and hurt their own chances; guess there's a reason why they're applying to Oxford and not Cambridge. :tongue:

:biggrin: - this made me chuckle - good thing I've not applied to Oxford...
Reply 1165
Are wwe allowed to discuss answers
Original post by 11234

nah, we need to wait until tomorrow at 5pm im pretty sure
Original post by 11234

No, not until 5pm Thursday.
Original post by 11234

not till tomorrow 5pm
Hi folks. I think I'm pretty happy with that exam. I thought it was one of the more difficult papers, but I feel I handled it pretty well (I don't think it was as difficult as 2013/15). My working for one of the questions was a bit of a mess, but I'm fairly sure it's still legible. We started about 45 minutes late (they sent the wrong number of papers, and they couldn't open and photocopy them until we were all sat down), but after that it wasn't really a problem. It was kind of weird seeing everyone doing other exams leaving slowly, until us maths people were the only ones left. I feel that, even if I don't progress any further, doing the MAT has been interesting, and it's made me a better mathematician.

Quick question: when will we hear who's been selected for interview? Is it standardised across the University, or is it a college-by-college basis?
Original post by lewman99
Hi folks. I think I'm pretty happy with that exam. I thought it was one of the more difficult papers, but I feel I handled it pretty well (I don't think it was as difficult as 2013/15). My working for one of the questions was a bit of a mess, but I'm fairly sure it's still legible. We started about 45 minutes late (they sent the wrong number of papers, and they couldn't open and photocopy them until we were all sat down), but after that it wasn't really a problem. It was kind of weird seeing everyone doing other exams leaving slowly, until us maths people were the only ones left. I feel that, even if I don't progress any further, doing the MAT has been interesting, and it's made me a better mathematician.

Quick question: when will we hear who's been selected for interview? Is it standardised across the University, or is it a college-by-college basis?

Late November is the earliest you're likely to hear, and I'm afraid it does vary quite a lot by college.
Reply 1171
Haha, it was weird being the only one left in the exam hall when everyone else doing their entrance exams left after 2 hours.
That was filth
Is anyone going to be able to post to answers to the MAT anytime soon? The 2016 paper, even if it is just the multiple choice?
What do people think the grade boundaries for interview and successful applicant will be?
Original post by Anishp776
Is anyone going to be able to post to answers to the MAT anytime soon? The 2016 paper, even if it is just the multiple choice?

tomorrow at 5pm we can talk about it
Original post by lewman99
Hi folks. I think I'm pretty happy with that exam. I thought it was one of the more difficult papers, but I feel I handled it pretty well (I don't think it was as difficult as 2013/15).
Hmm. I reckon it was about the same difficulty as 2015 - but of course no-one's objective because it's a very different experience, practising at home and actually sitting it knowing that it matters. I suppose people usually overestimate difficulty, though, so you're probably right.

I feel that, even if I don't progress any further, doing the MAT has been interesting, and it's made me a better mathematician.
That's a nice attitude to have. I echo your thoughts and despite worrying a bit beforehand, I genuinely enjoyed (most of) the MAT paper today.
The wait is already killing me
Original post by RuairiMorrissey
The wait is already killing me

The longest month of your life begins
I found that a solid "okay" exam... agh idk think I've got 3 MC wrong even, annoying as they're so many marks. Then Q2 I only did half of even though I should of carried on working through it but I just thought I'll do rest cause I got stuck on one bit - did basically all Q3, Q5 I did it all but not sure how much was actually correct. Q4 I did half of cause did it last and ran out of time...

I felt it wasn't an easy paper at all but it was doable but easy to mess up & run out of time. Oh well I just hope i did enough for imperial... it definitely has helped my maths though, I wayyyyy prefer step though way more fun questions so I'm glad I'm going for Cambridge. When does imperial usually give our offers??

Latest

Trending

Trending