The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theaverage
I think I got 0 for more than one question....

Have the answers for q5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you'll find them elsewhere in the thread, I certainly don't know them!

You'll be fine buddy, don't worry :P
What did people get for the whole of question 4?
Original post by Mathematician99
What did people get for the whole of question 4?

As above,

For Q4 the angle was pi/6, the third's circle's radius was 9 and the area was 4root3 - 11pi/6

I got everything except the radius, but my working was a bit messy : s
Original post by RuairiMorrissey
As above,

For Q4 the angle was pi/6, the third's circle's radius was 9 and the area was 4root3 - 11pi/6

I got everything except the radius, but my working was a bit messy : s

cheers, what was the radius and equation of the first circle? (parts a and b)
cheers, what was the radius and equation of the first circle? (parts a and b)

Radii were 1 and 3, but they were given? I think I put (1/tana, 1) and (3/tana, 3) but i'm not sure if that's right
Radii were 1 and 3, but they were given? I think I put (1/tana, 1) and (3/tana, 3) but i'm not sure if that's right

Oh thank god, I was worrying so much.
Reply 1646
Oh thank god, I was worrying so much.

I don't think they would give you the mark for giving them the radius though lol. But if you meant you put down r2 as RHS of the equation, it should be fine, because r is already given
Do you think 50% is good enough for imperial
Original post by igotohaggerston
Do you think 50% is good enough for imperial

'The quartiles of MAT applicants in 2014/15 were 35-49-64.
The quartiles of successful applicants for 2014/15 entry were 49-55-63.'

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/application_statistics_for_maths
Grade boundaries this year anyone?
Grade boundaries this year anyone?

90ums for A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

Lol what do you think the average mark for interview/successful will be?
Lol what do you think the average mark for interview/successful will be?

For Oxford:

Avg Mark 46
Avg Mark for interviewed applicants 56
Avg Mark for successful applicants 68
Original post by Superdjman1
For Oxford:

Avg Mark 46
Avg Mark for interviewed applicants 56
Avg Mark for successful applicants 68

What are you basing that on?
What are you basing that on?

Gut feeling?
Comparing it to last year's paper, I would say this year was marginally easier.
What does it mean if you are at the shortlisted average in terms of your overall chance of getting an offer? How about if you're at the average of successful? Above the average? I'm struggling to see what these mean since there are many people above and below these averages who are getting offers. Could anyone give some in depth explanations?
Original post by pressurize
What does it mean if you are at the shortlisted average in terms of your overall chance of getting an offer? How about if you're at the average of successful? Above the average? I'm struggling to see what these mean since there are many people above and below these averages who are getting offers. Could anyone give some in depth explanations?

An average is when all the scores are added and divided by the number of scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by louisforrest
An average is when all the scores are added and divided by the number of scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I took the MAT without knowing what an average was in the literal sense, that would be slightly unfortunate. I mean in the context of how well you need to do in the interview/PS/other scores depending on what range you are in with your MAT score.
Original post by pressurize
If I took the MAT without knowing what an average was in the literal sense, that would be slightly unfortunate. I mean in the context of how well you need to do in the interview/PS/other scores depending on what range you are in with your MAT score.

I do believe he was joking lol

If you are usually around the shortlisted average, then you are most likely going to be invited for interview. Usually it is in the range 55-67 (if I remember correctly - all these boundaries are on the oxford page). Most successful applicants have around 70, usually 65+ and in some years 60+. The main focus is being invited to interview tbh, and then focusing on doing well in the interview to persuade them to give you an offer.
If I got the data wrong from questions but the idea was right, can I get some marks?
very anxious...

Latest

Trending

Trending