The Student Room Group

Midwifery Applicants 2017

Is there a thread for Midwifery applicants for 2017 yet? I'm a bit nervous - only applying for one uni and I'm 22, so I don't know whether I stand as much of a chance as school leavers, but hey! It'll be exciting :biggrin: my second time at university, forgot how stressful writing a personal statement was!

Anyone else applying for 2017?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by madileigh94
Is there a thread for Midwifery applicants for 2017 yet? I'm a bit nervous - only applying for one uni and I'm 22, so I don't know whether I stand as much of a chance as school leavers, but hey! It'll be exciting :biggrin: my second time at university, forgot how stressful writing a personal statement was!

Hi! I am a third year student midwife at Staffordshire uni! Just saw this thread and if you have any questions feel free to message me :smile:
Original post by madileigh94

I am :smile: I'm currently in my third year of Anatomy at Liverpool and hoping to get into midwifery. Fingers crossed!
Reply 3
Original post by annroseb
Hi! I am a third year student midwife at Staffordshire uni! Just saw this thread and if you have any questions feel free to message me :smile:

Hello!
I'm currently a sixth year student in Edinburgh, would love to become a midwife and I am writing my personal statement at the moment.
Do you have any suggestions on how to write it, what to include?
Also I am wondering what work experience and volunteer work would be ideal? what did you do?
What are your experiences with university course?
Thank you, I hope to hear from you soon.
Reply 4
Original post by S.Mcc
Hello!
I'm currently a sixth year student in Edinburgh, would love to become a midwife and I am writing my personal statement at the moment.
Also I am wondering what work experience and volunteer work would be ideal? what did you do?

Hello!

I actually made a blog post on things I would include in a personal statement: http://blogs.staffs.ac.uk/student-blogs/2016/09/26/3-things-to-mention-in-your-personal-statement/
The things I mentioned in there are things I thought of when I was planning my personal statement. I hope that helps!
I think any work experience and volunteer work would be great. Do you currently have a part time job? I worked as a peer mentor one summer and worked at Boots for nearly a year. These aren't directly midwifery related but I mentioned these things in my PS and how the skills would be transferrable to midwifery! Could you see whether you could volunteer at a local hospital? I managed to get work experience at maternity unit which was very lucky, so I would definitely recommend doing that :smile:
Midwifery courses are tough because you are doing a degree and also working full-time as well. It is quite hard to balance everything but I have been managing to do it so far haha! When you are choosing universities, I'd recommend looking at how the uni teaches the course, is it mainly lectures or group work or independent study? Also is it 50% theory (taught sessions) and 50% practical (placement)?
Apologies for the very long reply but I hope it has helped. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask me :smile: Good luck and take care
Has anyone sent in their applications yet? I sent mine in yesterday and I'm already impatient haha!
Original post by S.Mcc
Hello!

We have a new TSR PS Guidance for Nursing and Allied Health which you can see linked in my signature below. It's really detailed and should definitely be of use to you.
Reply 7
Hi guys, I'm a first year student midwife and just wanted to say if anyone has any questions then please ask :smile: it took me 2 applications to get in so I know the UCAS process and interviews inside out xx
Reply 8
i am! i was studying social work but left as i had a surprise coil baby. ive always wanted midwifery but was too scared to go for it. i only decided yesterday to do it so want to get my application in asap. ill be applying to uni south wales and cardiff university.

im 27 and have 3 children so i dont fancy my chances! but its worth a shot. x
Reply 9
Hi,

Iv just graduated from a Human Biology degree and have now applied to do midwifery. I was pretty eager as I missed the deadline by a day last year and so sent my application off the first week UCAS opened. Iv got an interview at Salford in a couple of weeks but heard nothing back from the other 3 yet.

Does anyone have any idea of the interview process at Salford, all the posts I can find seem to be from ages ago and I'm getting very nervous that I'm under prepared,

Thanks!
I'm applying for midwifery for 2017 , I have been offered two interviews for Northampton and Liverpool John Moores. Northampton have devlined me and I am currently preparing for my interview at Liverpool. At the first interview a lot of applicants were older than me as I am only 17, my teachers have said that they tend to favour older applicants than younger ones and you can tell by the number of 25 year olds plus ratio to 24 and under! So I think you'll be fine. However, they only accept 1 out of 14 applicants so good luck :smile: x
Does anyone know if the government are scrapping tuition fee bursaries for midwifery students as well as nursing students?
yeah they are starting this next year you have to fund it yourself - obviously you can get a student finance loan though :smile:
Original post by bekahrm95
yeah they are starting this next year you have to fund it yourself - obviously you can get a student finance loan though :smile:

Do you think that will make the course less attractive/competative now you'll have to make loan repayments once you qualify? Will it put people off applying to have ti get into more debt?
I've sent my application off! Decided to apply for 5 universities and found ones I really like the look of! So I'm applying for Bangor, Swansea, Staffs, LJMU and BCU :smile: where's everyone else applying for?
Reply 15
Sent mine off last week! I've applied to Northumbria, Teesside, Sheffield Hallam, Manchester and LJMU :smile: Good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by helen123
Sent mine off last week! I've applied to Northumbria, Teesside, Sheffield Hallam, Manchester and LJMU :smile: Good luck with your application :smile:

Good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by LC1996
Hi guys, I'm a first year student midwife and just wanted to say if anyone has any questions then please ask :smile: it took me 2 applications to get in so I know the UCAS process and interviews inside out xx

Hi there I'm in sixth form right now but i really want to become a midwife and was wondering what the entry requirements are like and how lenient they are with them, I know it depends on the university but I was thinking ,maybe Canterbury or Brighton uni? Also what is it like in general the course you do? It would be awesome if you could give be some idea of how hard/ difficult it is, how your finding it etc thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smile88egc
Do you think that will make the course less attractive/competative now you'll have to make loan repayments once you qualify? Will it put people off applying to have ti get into more debt?

Sorry I have only just seen this! I thought that it would make it less competitive, but when I attended my Salford interview she said they had had just as many applications if not more!
I also thought that it would open up more places if the NHS are not needing to find the money, but they said because you have to be paired up with a mentor they cannot increase the number of places on a course.

So basically - it seems to have made no difference.
Reply 19
Hi everyone
I have an interview tomorrow for Teesside uni for Midwifery, has anyone been for an interview recently or got any tips? I'm so nervous! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending