The Student Room Group

Organic chemistry - alkanes

What would you draw 3,3,3, tri methylheptane ? Also how would you draw 4,4,5 tri ethyl 5 propyl nonane
thanks
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nisha.sri
What would you draw 3,3,3, tri methylheptane ?
thanks

The numbers stand for the C-atoms, right? so we have the same functional group, the methyl-group (-CH3) on the third C-atom three times. Thus you have to draw this alkane in a way that three methyl-groups exist on the third C-atom.
(edited 7 years ago)
3,3,3-trimethylheptane can't exist- are you sure it's the correct name?

For 4,4,5-triethyl-5-propylnonane, draw a carbon chain 9 carbons long- from the nonane part.
Then number the carbons (in this case, it doesn't matter which side you number from, but in other cases the highest priority functional group would decide which side to start from)
Then draw the ethyl and propyl groups at the correct carbons :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
start with the carbon chain
nonane = 9 carbons
draw two ethyl groups on carbon 4 and one on carbon 5
draw a propyl group on carbon 5
"fill in" the hydrogens
Original post by Poooky

To OP: try drawing it (with hydrogens if you need to), and figure out why it can't exist...
Original post by FlowerFaerie087
To OP: try drawing it (with hydrogens if you need to), and figure out why it can't exist...

It is because there are exist more than three carbon atoms in methylheptane and two bounds of four are needed to create the chain. Thus there just can exist two functional groups on every single atom at the maximum, not three.
Original post by Poooky

For 4,4,5-triethyl-5-propylnonane, draw a carbon chain 9 carbons long- from the nonane part.
Then number the carbons (in this case, it doesn't matter which side you number from, but in other cases the highest priority functional group would decide which side to start from)
Then draw the ethyl and propyl groups at the correct carbons :smile:

Oh no there was a structural formula and you had to name it image.jpg
Oh no there was a structural formula and you had to name it image.jpg

Are you able to name those two structures? :smile:
Original post by Poooky
Are you able to name those two structures? :smile:

I know the first one but not the second for the second one I got 3ethyl 4metyl heptane
I know the first one but not the second for the second one I got 3ethyl 4metyl heptane

That's correct for the second one :biggrin:

That's what I would have thought!
First one can't exist as you'd get a pentavalent carbon.
Original post by Poooky

Original post by worksmartnothard
That's what I would have thought!

Oh ok thanks
Original post by Poooky

This one was the one I was stuck on
This one was the one I was stuck on

First of all you need to identify the longest carbon chain, if there's two of the same length, the correct one is that in which the highest priority group has the lowest number.
Once you've done that, then just number the chain as usual and identify the groups attached onto the carbons :smile:
Have you had a go at this one?
Original post by Poooky
First of all you need to identify the longest carbon chain, if there's two of the same length, the correct one is that in which the highest priority group has the lowest number.
Once you've done that, then just number the chain as usual and identify the groups attached onto the carbons :smile:
Have you had a go at this one?

Yeh i did but it doesn't exist haha :smile:
Do you have to number as usual ? My teacher didn't tell me to do that though
Yeh i did but it doesn't exist haha :smile:
Do you have to number as usual ? My teacher didn't tell me to do that though

What did she say?
You have to number as usual, but only after identifying the correct carbon chain. I admit I'm having difficulty with this as I'm not entirely sure which is higher priority!
What's the longest chain of carbons in this?
(edited 7 years ago)
http://www.chem.uiuc.edu/GenChemReferences/nomenclature_rules.html

Have a read; rule number 6 will be useful for this!
Original post by Poooky
What did she say?
You have to number as usual, but only after identifying the correct carbon chain. I admit I'm having difficulty with this as I'm not entirely sure which is higher priority!
What's the longest chain of carbons in this?

Original post by Poooky
http://www.chem.uiuc.edu/GenChemReferences/nomenclature_rules.html

Have a read; rule number 6 will be useful for this!

I did it again and i got 4,4 diethyl 5 propylnonane what did you get ?
9 is the longest carbon chain
Try recounting... if there are two longest chains of the same length, priority goes to the one with the smaller substituents. There are five substituents!

Quick Reply

Latest