The Student Room Group

Left-wing candidate wins Austrian election

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh thank god.
Hitler was Austrian. Can you blame them?
Reply 3
I believe it's around 80% counted now (derStandard.at and ServusTV are reporting around that figure) and yeah there's no way for the far-right candidate to win, since even the postal votes are expected to go in the left-wing candidates favour.

It's good to see there's a much bigger difference between the results now compared to May :smile: A pretty big kick in the teeth for those hoping the EU was going to keep falling apart.

Now we just wait for the excitement that is Netherlands, France and Germany 2017.
Isn't this the re-vote after a number of 'irregularities' in the postal votes the first time around ?

Maybe the results will be over turned again, I can see a civil war tearing Austria apart before the next elections if 46% voted for a nationalist and are about to get more Africans and Muslims tearing through their cities. If I'm also not mistaken, Austrian gun shops have been struggling to keep up with demand lately as people are beginning to arm themselves in that country.
Original post by Mathemagicien
The Austrian mentality, wrote Thomas Bernhard, is like a Punschkrapfen: red on the outside, brown on the inside and always a bit drunk. Since 1970 it has been run by (red) social democrats for all but seven years; but never far from the surface, and sometimes above it, there has been a thick seam of (brown) far-right politics.

Why is brown associated with fascism? I've noticed this, but is it just because of the brownshirts or is there a backstory to it?
Reply 6
Original post by HandiCapanda
Isn't this the re-vote after a number of 'irregularities' in the postal votes the first time around ?

Maybe the results will be over turned again, I can see a civil war tearing Austria apart before the next elections if 46% voted for a nationalist and are about to get more Africans and Muslims tearing through their cities. If I'm also not mistaken, Austrian gun shops have been struggling to keep up with demand lately as people are beginning to arm themselves in that country.

With the first time around, the postal votes had the ability to completely change the result because it was won by such a narrow margin (<1%). This is not possible this time; even if postal votes were excluded, van der ballen would still win.
Original post by l'etranger
Why is brown associated with fascism? I've noticed this, but is it just because of the brownshirts or is there a backstory to it?

We had to learn about this in history when I was in school, left over uniforms used by the Nazi party, they were brown because it blended in with the African continent I guess ?

The SA have been known in contemporary times as "Brownshirts" (Braunhemden) from the color of their uniform shirts, similar to Benito Mussolini's blackshirts. The SA developed pseudo-military titles for its members. The SA ranks were adopted by several other Nazi Party groups, chief amongst them the Schutzstaffel (SS), which originated as a branch of the SA before being separated. Brown-coloured shirts were chosen as the SA uniform because a large batch of them were cheaply available after World War I, having originally been ordered during the war for colonial troops posted to Germany's former African colonies.[1]
We had to learn about this in history when I was in school, left over uniforms used by the Nazi party, they were brown because it blended in with the African continent I guess ?

Sheeeeeiiiiii :biggrin:

The SA have been known in contemporary times as "Brownshirts" (Braunhemden) from the color of their uniform shirts, similar to Benito Mussolini's blackshirts. The SA developed pseudo-military titles for its members. The SA ranks were adopted by several other Nazi Party groups, chief amongst them the Schutzstaffel (SS), which originated as a branch of the SA before being separated. Brown-coloured shirts were chosen as the SA uniform because a large batch of them were cheaply available after World War I, having originally been ordered during the war for colonial troops posted to Germany's former African colonies.[1]

That's fair, I wondered if it were similar to red and bolshevism
RIP Austria
When people sy he is a neo-nazi, is he really, or is he just another nationalist right winger like Farage / Le Pen? I dont know much about Austrian politics.
Yes, he is a neo-Nazi like Farage, le Pen, and Trump.

LMAO so he isn't. Good then, I was worried that something strange was really going on in Austria.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Oh thank god.

How sad is it that a neo-nazi only getting 46% of a national vote is now something to celebrate?

A few years ago I would have been alarmed if he'd been polling 20%.
Brown is associated with Nazism, yes, because of the brownshirts; I think black is more associated with fascism as a whole, because fascism grew to prominence first in Italy.

Brownshirts

Blackshirts

Black is also associated with anarchism. Although normally it is black along with another colour. Red being a common example.

Original post by Bornblue
How sad is it that a neo-nazi only getting 46% of a national vote is now something to celebrate?

Yes but the actual left won. If the solution to the rise of right wing nationalist populism is a new left wing then that is a good thing.

Spoiler

Yes but the actual left won. If the solution to the rise of right wing nationalist populism is a new left wing then that is a good thing.

Spoiler

The left is dying, which is a wonderful thing. The preachers of equality and the tarantulas that Nietzsche warned about are being seen off.
Original post by Bornblue

A few years ago he would have polled much less than 20%, the momentum shift is clearly going one way rapidly, I wonder if this Austrian government will even make it to the next elections in 6 years... I wouldn't be surprised to see this man removed from office by a vote of no confidence or something to that effect.

Spoiler

It's not a new left wing though, it's the remnants of the old left and the political momentum is clearly on the side of the right, a rise in a new left is needed but wont come about until the old movement has been destroyed/abandoned.

To my mind these changes are only the beginning, trump/brexit/tories/right wing politics in general, it's going to be a wild political ride as the right take back control across Europe. I didn't think I would live to see the day, now it's actually happening.
Reply 18
It was so good to hear about this result, I didn't see it coming.
Original post by Inexorably
I believe it's around 80% counted now (derStandard.at and ServusTV are reporting around that figure) and yeah there's no way for the far-right candidate to win, since even the postal votes are expected to go in the left-wing candidates favour.

It's good to see there's a much bigger difference between the results now compared to May :smile: A pretty big kick in the teeth for those hoping the EU was going to keep falling apart.

Now we just wait for the excitement that is Netherlands, France and Germany 2017.

Not really the important vote today is Italy let's see the results from that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending