The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Birmingham City University Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
This thread is for applicants to discuss applications and for a general chat about the process :smile:

Where are you from?

What course(s) are you applying for?

What qualifications do you have? And if you're working towards any e.g A Levels. At what grades?

Do you have any voluntary/work experience?

What does your course require?

Why BCU? :biggrin:

I'm from Nottingham, applying for Paramedic Science BSc (Hons) ... I have my GCSE's, mostly grade C's including Maths, English, and Science double award, NVQ 2 in Buisness admin, and I'm currently studying an Access to nursing and healthcare professions course.

Work experience wise... gosh. I've worked in bars, supermarkets, coffee shops, I did administration work in the ED of a major trauma centre for 2 and a half years, my current role is working as a clinical support worker in the same ED which I've been doing since march.

My course requires:
5 GCSE's grade A*-C including Maths, Ensligh Language and Science double award
30 credits at Merit or Distinction
DBS
C1 driving is desirable but not essential

Why BCU?
Because it was the best open day from all unis I visited. The facilities and learning opportunities they offer for students are amazing. The tutors were really positive and enthusiastic, the students seemed to love the course.. oh and the fact their placements are with EMAS which is convenient I suppose :biggrin:
Birmingham is also a great city!

I've just had my email for acknowledgment of my application from them, so I'm getting all excited now! 😁
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by _homesick__
I'm from Nottingham, applying for Paramedic Science BSc (Hons) ... I have my GCSE's, mostly grade C's including Maths, English, and Science double award, NVQ 2 in Buisness admin, and I'm currently studying...

Hey homesick,

Glad to hear you enjoyed our Open Day and meeting tutors and students. We're also glad to hear you share our love for Birmingham! Have you seen the video and info about student life in Birmingham on our website? It's sure to get you excited about studying here and if you have any questions in the meantime whether about your course, application or the city, just ask!

Good luck with your application :biggrin:

Lydia
The BCU Team
Original post by BurstingBubbles
This thread is for applicants to discuss applications and for a general chat about the process :smile:

Where are you from?

What qualifications do you have? And if you're working towards any e.g A Levels. At what grades?

Why BCU? :biggrin:

Hi guys :smile:

Where are you from?
I'm from Birmingham, wanted to stay local.
I'm applying for the Primary Education with QTS course.
GCSES: 9A*s, 1A
A Level predicted: BBB
Work experience: one week in a year 2 class, one day a week over a six week period in a Year 5 class, 8 months part-time work as a 'Front of House Assistant'.
Requirements: 'recently completed a minimum of two weeks work experience in a state primary school', 'minimum of 5 GCSEs, at grade C or above', '112 UCAS tariff points from A Level with a minimum of 2 A Levels' and 'successfully pass the government's Professional Skills Tests in Literacy and Numeracy'
Why BCU?
It's an awesome university with amazing resources and tutors that care. Love the atmosphere. Aaaand I want to stay local :h:

I'll be honest, I'm quite nervous. I submitted my UCAS application yesterday and my school will probably take a week to add the references and whatnot. How long after it actually gets properly submitted by my school do you guys think it will take to receive some sort of offer? I'm also conscious about the Christmas holidays coming up- will this affect the rate at which the university replies?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Heya! I've applied to BCU for Graphic Design this week, and I'm currently working towards my Level 3 Extended Diploma in Graphic Design too. I also got a DD overall for my 90 credit Diploma from my first year. I live down the road in Dudley, so BCU was a natural choice since I will be close to home, plus I love the city too, so it would be awesome to live there. I'm also considering other options, naturally, but if I settle on BCU, hopefully I'll see some of you lot there! :biggrin:
Original post by zebby1999
Hi guys :smile:

I'll be honest, I'm quite nervous. I submitted my UCAS application yesterday and my school will probably take a week to add the references and whatnot. How long after it actually gets properly submitted by my school do you guys think it will take to receive some sort of offer? I'm also conscious about the Christmas holidays coming up- will this affect the rate at which the university replies?

Hey Zebby1999,

Congrats on getting your application in and done and dusted before the Christmas hols!

It's hard to say how long it could be before you hear anything, once your application is completed and all your references are in the admissions team will be looking over it, but don't worry about the Christmas Holidays slowing the process down, we're here till Christmas Eve so they'll still be processing applications!

Good luck,

Lydia
The BCU Team
Reply 25
I am hoping to study Business Management
I will submit my UCAS by this week
Update: School sent off my application this afternoon and Track is up and running. So happy rn :h:
Original post by Birmingham City University
Hey Zebby1999,

Congrats on getting your application in and done and dusted before the Christmas hols!

It's hard to say how long it could be before you hear anything, once your application is completed and all your references are in the admissions team will be looking over it, but don't worry about the Christmas Holidays slowing the process down, we're here till Christmas Eve so they'll still be processing applications!

Good luck,

Lydia
The BCU Team

Hi, I have a quick question.
Should I be expecting a confirmation email from BCU about receiving my application?
It's just that three other universities have sent them and I'm a little worried.
Reply 28
Hi, I have a quick question.
Should I be expecting a confirmation email from BCU about receiving my application?
It's just that three other universities have sent them and I'm a little worried.

I didn't get an email to say they received it either, my first correspondence with BCU was inviting me to an interview.
Original post by DJ98
I didn't get an email to say they received it either, my first correspondence with BCU was inviting me to an interview.

Thanks a bunch :smile: what did you apply for? How long did it take for you to be given an interview?
Reply 30
Thanks a bunch :smile: what did you apply for? How long did it take for you to be given an interview?

I've applied for BA Hons Graphic Communication, I got an interview offer around a week after I got my "Welcome to Track" Email, however, I've asked them to see if I can get a later date as I don't have a portfolio put together yet. Haven't had anything back though, and they didn't pick up the phone when I called. @Birmingham City University any advice please? :smile:
Original post by DJ98
I've applied for BA Hons Graphic Communication, I got an interview offer around a week after I got my "Welcome to Track" Email, however, I've asked them to see if I can get a later date as I don't have a portfolio put together yet. Haven't had anything back though, and they didn't pick up the phone when I called. @Birmingham City University any advice please? :smile:

Hey there,

Well done on getting an interview!

If you can't make your interview date or need to rearrange, you'll have to ring the contact number provided with your interview letter/email. As I'm sure you can understand, it's a busy time for the admissions department, so apologies if it takes a while for them to pick up but you should be able to get through. If you still have no luck over the phone, then you can try emailing them at [email protected]

I hope that helps! In the mean time if you need any portfolio tips, check out our website here. :h:

All the best,
Lydia
The BCU Team
Reply 32
Hey there,

Well done on getting an interview!

If you can't make your interview date or need to rearrange, you'll have to ring the contact number provided with your interview letter/email. As I'm sure you can understand, it's a busy time for the admissions department, so apologies if it takes a while for them to pick up but you should be able to get through. If you still have no luck over the phone, then you can try emailing them at [email protected]

I hope that helps! In the mean time if you need any portfolio tips, check out our website here. :h:

All the best,
Lydia
The BCU Team

I wasn't given an actual interview email, just an invitation to the online applicant area, where I was notified of the interview. There was no number provided, so I had to phone using the one I found online, and I tried that email and have had no response.
Original post by DJ98
I wasn't given an actual interview email, just an invitation to the online applicant area, where I was notified of the interview. There was no number provided, so I had to phone using the one I found online, and I tried that email and have had no response.

Hi DJ98,

They will have received your email but please allow a little time for them to reply after the weekend. Otherwise, please call Visual Communication admissions on 0121 331 5150 or if they're busy, you can try general admission enquiries on 0121 331 6295.

Thanks,
Lydia
The BCU team
Wondering if you could help,

I'm looking to do a postgraduate masters in 'Video Game Enterprise, Production and Design' at the Birmingham Gamer Camp but I don't necessarily have a degree although I have worked for over 5+ years. 4 of these being in Financial management and the last year (along with still being in financial management) currently working within a gaming company both as a sales assistant but mostly as an events coordinator helping out with events, advertising & the social aspects as that is what I would like to continue further with in my career. Therefore I was hoping this would cover the "or equivalent in an appropriate subject" as its desirable in either management, game related and/or business.
Due to my experience with working, would I still be able to potentially apply for the masters as I'm incredibly interested. I do have 13 GCSEs ranged A*-C and 3 A levels at ACC (one being business studies). Alongside I do also have an accounting qualification called AAT.

I'm hoping to start my application within the next week or two but thought I'd inquire regarding whether I am eligible.

Thanks
Hey 2017 applicants,

If you're still in the process of making your application why not check out our tips on writing a Personal Statement, plus some key UCAS dates to keep in your diary.

If you have any questions about the process, what happens next or about the course you've already applied for, ask away!

If you have applied, welcome to the start of your BCU journey! Why not let us know what course you're hoping to study?

The BCU Team :u:

Asking on behalf of a friend although I'd guess I'd like to know as well. Is there any chance of a conditional offer being changed to an unconditional one?
Update again: Got a confirmation email and portal login details. BCU emailed me as well to say that I'll probably hear from them first week of Jan for an interview date.
Reply 37
Update again: Got a confirmation email and portal login details. BCU emailed me as well to say that I'll probably hear from them first week of Jan for an interview date.

Check on your portal thing, I had dates at the end of December but declined them and I've been given a range of dates over a week period to choose from in mid-February. It might depend on your course though.
Reply 38
Hi I've got an offer from BCU for digital marketing just wondering if anyone has applied for the same course? Or something similar?
Original post by 94Carina
Wondering if you could help,

I'm looking to do a postgraduate masters in 'Video Game Enterprise, Production and Design' at the Birmingham Gamer Camp but I don't necessarily have a degree although I have worked for over 5+ years...

Thanks

Hi 94Carina,

The best thing to do would be to speak to our course enquiries team who will be able to advise you and discuss what qualifications or experience you need for the course. You can call them on 0121 331 5595 or fill out an online enquiry form here.

All the best with your application!
Lydia
The BCU Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending