The Student Room Group

Catherine's Aim for A*A+B's (GCSE)

I have been really unmotivated to study/work hard to get good grades, and so, I am hoping that this will help me to stay motivated. I haven't done terribly so far, and I would say that the majority of my grades are alright, but they have been slipping recently. I had my mocks before Christmas, and I'm pretty sure that I did terribly, but all I can do is work extra harder from now on. :smile:

The subjects I am taking are:

English Language + Literature (AQA)

Mathematics (Edexcel)

Physics (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Biology (AQA)

Spanish (Edexcel)

RE (Edexcel)

History (Edexcel A)

Geography (Edexcel B)

I guess my main goal for the future is to either study English Literature or Law at university. Or, to do English and then go on to take a law conversion course. I'm not too sure yet. The A levels I am planning to take are English Literature, Spanish and Biology (I did badly on my core science coursework so my final grade will probably go down for GCSE.)

My plan is to relax a little bit during Christmas but prepare for a speech I have to do after Christmas (for English) and coursework. From January onwards, I plan to study more solidly/consistently. But, for now, I would like to relax and then perhaps revise after Christmas. I'm not too sure if I will update as regularly as I would like, but I will do my best.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by catherin.e
I have been really unmotivated to study/work hard to get good grades, and so, I am hoping that this will help me to stay motivated. I haven't done terribly so far, and I would say that the majority of my grades are alright, but they have been slipping recently. I had my mocks before Christmas, and I'm pretty sure that I did terribly, but all I can do is work extra harder from now on. :smile:

The subjects I am taking are:

English Language + Literature (AQA)

Mathematics (Edexcel)

Physics (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Biology (AQA)

Spanish (Edexcel)

RE (Edexcel)

History (Edexcel A)

Geography (Edexcel B)

I guess my main goal for the future is to either study English Literature or Law at university. Or, to do English and then go on to take a law conversion course. I'm not too sure yet. The A levels I am planning to take are English Literature, Spanish and Biology (I did badly on my core science coursework so my final grade will probably go down for GCSE.)

My plan is to relax a little bit during Christmas but prepare for a speech I have to do after Christmas (for English) and coursework. From January onwards, I plan to study more solidly/consistently. But, for now, I would like to relax and then perhaps revise after Christmas. I'm not too sure if I will update as regularly as I would like, but I will do my best.

Hey - I like the sound of a relaxed Christmas!

Best of luck with your GCSEs. I completed mine the summer just gone, so I'm more than happy to help if you need it. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4233122 The link is to one of my blogs, and there is a link on that to my GCSE GYG thread which might have some useful tips on it for you - it's up to you if you'd like to take a look at it :smile:

Feel free to PM me if you need anything :h:

And have a great Christmas break - Merry Christmas :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by brainzistheword
Hey - I like the sound of a relaxed Christmas!

Best of luck with your GCSEs. I completed mine the summer just gone, so I'm more than happy to help if you need it. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4233122 The link is to one of my blogs, and there is a link on that to my GCSE GYG thread which might have some useful tips on it for you - it's up to you if you'd like to take a look at it :smile:

Feel free to PM me if you need anything :h:

And have a great Christmas break - Merry Christmas :smile:

Thankyou! Your GYG thread is really useful - and wow, you got really good GCSE grades. I think my main struggles will definitely be maths and the sciences. Thanks again, and I hope you have a great Christmas!
Original post by catherin.e
Thankyou! Your GYG thread is really useful - and wow, you got really good GCSE grades. I think my main struggles will definitely be maths and the sciences. Thanks again, and I hope you have a great Christmas!

Thanks :colondollar: I should be able to help with maths and science when you need it as they are my favourite subjects so if you need anything ask away :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by brainzistheword
Thanks :colondollar: I should be able to help with maths and science when you need it as they are my favourite subjects so if you need anything ask away :smile:

How would you revise for Chemistry/Physics? I don't always struggle with the actual content, but applying it, I find to be really hard. I've tried to do questions/past papers, but I don't know if there is a set way to go about answering questions? Like, things to look out for first, or the structure/content of an answer (such as the 6 mark questions in the GCSE Science papers.)
For Chemistry and Physics, I am writing notes based off of the specification. So, looking at what each bulletpoint says in the spec and watching videos/reading textbooks + info about that and taking notes from those sources.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
26/12/16
Started Unit 1 notes for Chemistry. I basically just went through the specification and used it as a checklist. I ended up watching some YouTube videos on atomic structure and electron energy levels, but they proved to be really helpful. I'm considering doing questions on new content I've learnt so that I can help improve my application of what I've learnt.
I also started a draft for the speech that I have to do for English, I keep changing the topic I want to do, but I've narrowed down the topics I would want to speak about now :smile:
Reply 6
4/01/17
I have been sick for the past few days and I just don't feel like doing any work. I know it's not good to force yourself to do work when you're sick but I'm still trying to do a little bit. I start school tomorrow (which I am really mentally and physically under prepared for, lol) but I've managed to sort out all my school stuff. Now I'm just planning to do some biology and maths, and to just relax for the rest of day.
Reply 7
14/01/17
I feel like I've neglected quite a few subjects and I've procrastinated way too much this past month. I have been ill and deciding on my third A-level that I am going to choose. I've already decided on Lit and Spanish but, ajedkfg, I'm just so confused tbh.

Geography: I was too lazy to make notes, and I feel like that was very time consuming when I could print some off and work from those, so that's what I did. I made flashcards (/"summary foldables") for those notes and just went through each point and wrote a question on it. E.g. "label the earth's structure in order of the most outer layer."

History: managed to find a really great powerpoint covering all of the USA and Britain paper content. I had to make notes for some chapters of the Britain paper as part of my homework, so I thought I may as well use the powerpoint I found.

I don't even know how to even begin studying for all my subjects. Originally I was put off by the amount of content I need to know, but I'm just going to start from the first units of all of my subjects and revise those in a sort of chronological order?
Reply 8
31/01/17
It's been a while since I've updated, so I thought I should probably write something. I've decided on my A-levels, which are English Literature, Spanish and Psychology. But, I'm considering changing Psychology to something else. I also received my mock results, and I could have done a lot better if I tried harder - but now I know that the areas I desperately need to improve in are Maths, Science and Geography.

Biology: I found some really good podcasts for Science which I have listened to and made notes as I listened. If anybody would like the link to them I would be happy to share :smile: Mostly, I have been reading through the revision guide and taking notes and also watching videos as well. Then afterwards, I try to do practice questions based on the topics I'm concentrating on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending