The Student Room Group

My A-Levels for Law

Hey I'm a year 12 student currently studying History, Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy. I was originally planning on looking at a science based degree when I chose the subject but in recent months and through work experience I've realised I much prefer Law. I'm not liking Chemistry and want to drop it leaving me with History, Philosophy and Biology (a bit random) I'm predicted
AAA at As and wanted to know would Uni's accept me for Law with those A-Levels or should I just restart the year with more humanities?

Reply 1
Your A-level subjects are absolutely fine, just concentrate on getting the best grades you can.

I finished my law degree last year and have a biology A-level. You'll find that people can really have a mixed bag. History and philosophy are still more essay based subjects which can help with the transition to undergraduate so you'll be absolutely fine.
Sounds fine. It seems that English Literature is a popular A Level for Law, so maybe try that if you're going for an extra one?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hughmungus25
Hey I'm a year 12 student currently studying History, Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy. I was originally planning on looking at a science based degree when I chose the subject but in recent months and through work experience I've realised I much prefer Law. I'm not liking Chemistry and want to drop it leaving me with History, Philosophy and Biology (a bit random) I'm predicted
AAA at As and wanted to know would Uni's accept me for Law with those A-Levels or should I just restart the year with more humanities?

Two options for law
1)LLB Undergraduate degree ( you look suitable but remember some use LNAT)
2) Do a degree in anything then the GDL. (Takes 12 months more)

Posted from TSR Mobile
For things like Law, they don't usually care what you take at A Level (unless it's general studies or something like that). They teach it as though you haven't studied law before as it's not always an option of some people's colleges.
Reply 5
I did Maths, Economics and English lit&lang at A-levels and I got in to study law. I also know someone who did btec music and now studies law at Uni. The subjects you take do not really matter but the grades you come out with do! Just try your hardest. The better you do at AS the more easier the second year is so study as hard as you can! Hope you do well
Reply 6
Original post by greghayes
For things like Law, they don't usually care what you take at A Level (unless it's general studies or something like that). They teach it as though you haven't studied law before as it's not always an option of some people's colleges.

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Qqqqqqqq
I did Maths, Economics and English lit&lang at A-levels and I got in to study law. I also know someone who did btec music and now studies law at Uni. The subjects you take do not really matter but the grades you come out with do! Just try your hardest. The better you do at AS the more easier the second year is so study as hard as you can! Hope you do well

Thanks for the help and yep I will certainly be giving them my best shot :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Hann95
Your A-level subjects are absolutely fine, just concentrate on getting the best grades you can.

I finished my law degree last year and have a biology A-level. You'll find that people can really have a mixed bag. History and philosophy are still more essay based subjects which can help with the transition to undergraduate so you'll be absolutely fine.

Nice! Thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by prazzyjazzy
Sounds fine. It seems that English Literature is a popular A Level for Law, so maybe try that if you're going for an extra one?

Spoiler

Thanks for the help! :smile: Papa Bless! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Two options for law
1)LLB Undergraduate degree ( you look suitable but remember some use LNAT)
2) Do a degree in anything then the GDL. (Takes 12 months more)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, so with the GDL is it effectively a more condensed version of a standard LLB and is it recognised in the same way? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by hughmungus25
Thanks, so with the GDL is it effectively a more condensed version of a standard LLB and is it recognised in the same way? :smile:

The GDL is the seven core modules of a qualifying law degree so contract, tort, criminal, EU, land, equity and public law. It's just as accepted as those with a law degree if you're looking to practice. Most firms have a pretty equal split of law to non law graduates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending