The Student Room Group

Are these good A levels?

I am thinking about taking these subjects:

- A level combined English
- A level History.
- A level government and politics.
- A level sociology.

I was considering taking A level Spanish but not sure?

Thanks to anyone who replies!! :smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flawless_x

- A level History.
- A level sociology.

They're all essay based, you might want to reconsider...
History and Sociology have a lot of memorisation.
you'll have a lot of essay homework and essay coursework.
Reply 2
Original post by CorpusLuteum
They're all essay based, you might want to reconsider...
History and Sociology have a lot of memorisation.
you'll have a lot of essay homework and essay coursework.

Might consider that, but I also like essay stuff thank you for the reply 😊😊
Might consider that, but I also like essay stuff thank you for the reply 😊😊

Yeah however there's loads of work to be done at a-level, it'll really help you out if you take a STEM subject.
Reply 4
Yeah however there's loads of work to be done at a-level, it'll really help you out if you take a STEM subject.

I would but the subjects within those don't really interest me and I'd probs hate it :smile:
I would but the subjects within those don't really interest me and I'd probs hate it :smile:

Sometimes the things you think you despise you end up enjoying, perhaps consider it, look into the STEM subjects.
I really hated physics at the start of year 11 and then bloody loved it when it was too late to change my options.

- A level History.
- A level sociology.

There are no good or bad A levels it all depends on what you want to do :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ashwin20
There are no good or bad A levels it all depends on what you want to do :smile:

Well I'd like to go into law or anything like that so I thought these subjects would be good to do :smile:
Reply 8
Sometimes the things you think you despise you end up enjoying, perhaps consider it, look into the STEM subjects.
I really hated physics at the start of year 11 and then bloody loved it when it was too late to change my options.

Will consider but probs won't because I know I wouldn't like them
Well I'd like to go into law or anything like that so I thought these subjects would be good to do :smile:

Can't you do an A level in law?
Reply 10
Can't you do an A level in law?

You can yes. However the careers advisor at my school told me that everything done at A level is repeated in the first year of uni, so I didn't see any point in taking it. :smile: :smile:
You can yes. However the careers advisor at my school told me that everything done at A level is repeated in the first year of uni, so I didn't see any point in taking it. :smile: :smile:

Well it is a head start so you could do really well in that first year. But most people who want to do law do law at A level(people that i know of)
Reply 12
Well it is a head start so you could do really well in that first year. But most people who want to do law do law at A level(people that i know of)

Well I am considering it, because my friend said the same too me I'm just like 50/50 with it lol
Well I am considering it, because my friend said the same too me I'm just like 50/50 with it lol

The only thing is you might not enjoy one of those subjects when you start A level lol so do something that you enjoy. (Speaking from experience)
Reply 14
The only thing is you might not enjoy one of those subjects when you start A level lol so do something that you enjoy. (Speaking from experience)

If I didn't enjoy any it would probs be the sociology or gov and politics because I haven't done them at gcse so never experienced them
There's going to be a point in A level where you will hate all your subjects. Your options as a good combination, but I agree with the face that your essay and written based work load will be very intense, so you should consider a slightly less English/humanity based subject which you enjoy. Also, try to have a combination where you can change your path in life, because many people end up changing their mind. If you are set on Law, take Law, but if you are unsure, don't take it. Either way, good luck!
If I didn't enjoy any it would probs be the sociology or gov and politics because I haven't done them at gcse so never experienced them

From what I've heard politics is enjoyable but sociology is quite boring but quite easy however there is a lot of work. I did not even know you could do gov at A level.
Maybe swap Sociology for Spanish? Languages are really good A Levels to take. You also won't be set as many essays and will have a wider array of subject choices :h:
I do 4 essay based subjects. The workload is fine if you're dedicated. You can do it, it isn't that intense if they're subjects you enjoy. As for stem, if you have no interest in maths or science don't take it. There's no point taking something just because it looks good if it has no relevance. If you're looking to boost your subjects, you could consider taking English Literature instead of combined or Spanish instead of sociology. But your subjects are perfect if you're considering law really, do what you enjoy!!!
Reply 19
Original post by Eman Khurram
There's going to be a point in A level where you will hate all your subjects. Your options as a good combination, but I agree with the face that your essay and written based work load will be very intense, so you should consider a slightly less English/humanity based subject which you enjoy. Also, try to have a combination where you can change your path in life, because many people end up changing their mind. If you are set on Law, take Law, but if you are unsure, don't take it. Either way, good luck!

Well I fell like the subjects I have taken do offer different pathways, I have researched and it would be possible for when I go to uni after to do any degree I wanted because the uni I want go doesn't require the subjects at A level it just requires three grades in any subjects :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest