The Student Room Group

Gap year and Uni Application Help!

Hi, basically I'm in last year of A Levels and have not applied last year/ this year. I will be applying this September as I want a gap year. Never bothered with deferred entry as I wanted to apply with my grades rather than predictions.

My worry is since I do plan to go abroad 2/3 times volunteering etc. Is when can I? Basically if I'm applying in September for universities (depending on grades) for institutions like Oxford. Would I need to be available for a long time before travelling like for interviews? Also universities with no interviews. Do I still need to be in the UK to deal with things? Confused on the process like offers, a accommodation and if I can travel without having to sort this all out.

Hope that made sense.

Thank you
Original post by Aaron2515
Hi, basically I'm in last year of A Levels and have not applied last year/ this year. I will be applying this September as I want a gap year. Never bothered with deferred entry as I wanted to apply with my grades rather than predictions.

My worry is since I do plan to go abroad 2/3 times volunteering etc. Is when can I? Basically if I'm applying in September for universities (depending on grades) for institutions like Oxford. Would I need to be available for a long time before travelling like for interviews? Also universities with no interviews. Do I still need to be in the UK to deal with things? Confused on the process like offers, a accommodation and if I can travel without having to sort this all out.

Hope that made sense.

Thank you

As long as you have internet access you just need to make sure you re in the country for interviews.
In regards to the interview it just depends when you sent your UCAS application off. I sent mines off pretty early (1st week of Nov) and unis had replied back to me by the end of November. If you do happen to be volunteering at the time of the interview they usually allow you to rearrange; but this may vary on other interview dates and how many applicants they have for the course you've chosen. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by pearldaisy
In regards to the interview it just depends when you sent your UCAS application off. I sent mines off pretty early (1st week of Nov) and unis had replied back to me by the end of November. If you do happen to be volunteering at the time of the interview they usually allow you to rearrange; but this may vary on other interview dates and how many applicants they have for the course you've chosen. :smile:

Thank you. Hopefully already with my grades and applying soon as I can early September. I should hear back rather quickly.

Hope that made sense.

Thank you

Oxbridge interviews are all at the same time, can't remember exactly when but people in the Oxbridge forums will tell you. You would almost certainly need to be in the UK to attend should you get one. As far as the unis that don't interview go, you just need internet access to be able to check track and apply for accomodation.
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
Oxbridge interviews are all at the same time, can't remember exactly when but people in the Oxbridge forums will tell you. You would almost certainly need to be in the UK to attend should you get one. As far as the unis that don't interview go, you just need internet access to be able to check track and apply for accomodation.

Right okay thank you. Regarding accommodation can that be processed at a later date?
Reply 6

Hope that made sense.

Thank you

Oxbridge interviews are between end Nov to mid December, and yes you would be expected to be available. No interview = no offer.
Reply 7
Right okay thank you. Regarding accommodation can that be processed at a later date?

Your college will usually provide accommodation if you need it for your interview stay. This can all be arranged when (if...) you are invited to interview. But note that you usually only get a couple of weeks notice about your actual interview date(s)*.

*Cambridge usually interviews you for 1 day only, whereas Oxford often takes 2 or 3 days to complete your interviews.
(edited 7 years ago)

On top of accommodation you'll need to apply for student finance between february and end May 2018 - this requires sending off proof of identity (and residence if you haven't been in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course) and then getting your parents to send off proof of income.

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/sfe_pn1_form_1617_d.pdf is last years application form to give you an idea of what might be required (http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/sfe_pn1_notes_1617_d.pdf is the guidance notes) assuming you're in england - the forms and timing differ for NI/Scotland?wales residents). Note that with the full passport details you can avoid needing to send off your passport.

Arranging for a parent to have permissions on file with UCAS, all of your universities and student finance to speak on your behalf is worthwhile (if you trust them :wink:) - otherwise you could end up with some expensive international phone calls if things get a bit complicated.

do you mean accomodation as in a halls room for first year? usually you have a deadline to apply by and then nearer your start date the uni will give you an offer which you have a certain number of days to accept & pay deposit by otherwise you loose the room. Some universities do it differently though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending