The Student Room Group

Weird to change your name via deedpoll?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SkyRees
I know what you mean, my old name was common as dirt and I hated it :rofl:
I don't think it's a super common one though? Maybe it is wherever you are.

Jacob's not so bad haha. :tongue:
Maybe, I always hear some disgruntled parent shouting for 'Olivia' to come back. :rofl:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Jacob's not so bad haha. :tongue:
Maybe, I always hear some disgruntled parent shouting for 'Olivia' to come back. :rofl:

I can hear the exact same even now! Probably cause mum still calls me Jacob to be fair :tongue:
I hate it so so much I'm glad it's gone :lol:
Original post by SkyRees
I can hear the exact same even now! Probably cause mum still calls me Jacob to be fair :tongue:
I hate it so so much I'm glad it's gone :lol:

Purposefully? :tongue:
:rofl: :rofl:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I've wanted to change my first name for a very long time due to a life-long dislike of it.

Do you think this is weird?

My best friend sulks whenever I mention it - he says it's weird to change your name and that it would affect our friendship because he won't be able to take me seriously anymore.
I've never thought changing your name was a big deal - if you've got a good reason to do it, then why not? My parents are very supportive about it because from a young age I have complained about my name. They say do it now, officially, whilst I'm still young.

So, do you think it's weird to change your name via deedpoll?
Knowing your actual name, I don't get what's wrong with it. It's a good, strong name, and seems well-suited to a young woman - or a woman of any age. You could have a much worse name.

That said, if you do do it, do it with real sincerity of purpose, with complete conviction, and with a total desire to use that name and only that name for the rest of your life.

Offtopic: one of my friends once got really pissed, woke up the following morning to find out he'd got a Deed Poll and changed his name to Big Crazy Lester before going to bed.
Purposefully? :tongue:
:rofl: :rofl:

Maybe, she never approved of me changing it :rofl: :rofl:
Original post by SkyRees
Maybe, she never approved of me changing it :rofl: :rofl:

Aw. :rofl: :rofl:
I guess my parents wouldn't be too pleased if I changed my name.

My middle name's even worse tbh.
My name isn't one of the best. It's prone to ridicule. It's often misspelled, mispronounced and misprinted. Despite all these downers it's an awesome, yet awkward, means to "break the ice". It has its upsides depending on your vantage point.

I will change it over my dead body.
Aw. :rofl: :rofl:
I guess my parents wouldn't be too pleased if I changed my name.

My middle name's even worse tbh.

If you want to though, it's not rly their choice. They might be sad but they'd get over it with time I think.
Do tell? Mine are Lucis Byron, which tbh I actually really like (and didn't change)
Original post by SkyRees
If you want to though, it's not rly their choice. They might be sad but they'd get over it with time I think.
Do tell? Mine are Lucis Byron, which tbh I actually really like (and didn't change)

True, but I'm kind of lazy haha. :tongue:

Yours is cool, mine's stupid; Grace, eww. :angry:
Reply 29
Nah, I like my name. I don't think any other name suits me tbh...

I definitely don't look like a Raj or a Rafael anyway so those names are out of the question. I guess I'd go for Thor though, since why not :cool:
True, but I'm kind of lazy haha. :tongue:

Yours is cool, mine's stupid; Grace, eww. :angry:

Well...this is awkward. That's like one of my absolute favourite names. ^^'
I think it shouldn't be seen as weird. I've enrolled mine recently and depending on your age, it shouldn't be such a hassle to do once everything is sorted. Maybe you do get the odd funny joke about it.

It should be a nice experience to go through.
Original post by SkyRees
Well...this is awkward. That's like one of my absolute favourite names. ^^'

Untitled 11.png
Untitled 11.png

OBAMAWTF.jpg
idk
Original post by SkyRees
OBAMAWTF.jpg
idk

:colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:
Original post by Inexorably
Not at all, there is nothing wrong with changing something you're not happy about :smile: I encourage you wholeheartedly to go for it, regardless of what others think about it.

It's your life and your name, not theirs.

The only problem is that your family not might approve at all, in which case you'll just have to tell them it's not their choice.

My parents approve, my mum actually suggested the new name (we'd discussed it years ago, actually).:h: She also said that if she'd heard of the new name when I was born, she would have called me it rather than my current name. :eek:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tootles
Knowing your actual name, I don't get what's wrong with it. It's a good, strong name, and seems well-suited to a young woman - or a woman of any age. You could have a much worse name.

That said, if you do do it, do it with real sincerity of purpose, with complete conviction, and with a total desire to use that name and only that name for the rest of your life.

Offtopic: one of my friends once got really pissed, woke up the following morning to find out he'd got a Deed Poll and changed his name to Big Crazy Lester before going to bed.

I don't think you know my real real name... I actually go by my middle name usually, which is what I've told everyone I'm called for the last several years.:lol:
A friend of mine changed his name shortly before he got married. He only changed his surname, and I *think* the surname he took up was one that came from somewhere in his mother's family rather than his father's name that he'd had since birth. He didn't have a good relationship with his (now dead) alcoholic father, so I strongly suspect this was one of the reasons he changed it.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I don't think you know my real real name... I actually go by my middle name usually, which is what I've told everyone I'm called for the last several years.:lol:
Well in that case I'd be tempted to just use your middle name :lol: it's a perfectly good name, and it saves you fifty quid- it's just a case of introducing yourself with that name and not your first. My dad and his mother were like that - they are/were always called by their middle names. On occasion I've used my middle name (Francis, or Frankie, as opposed to Mark) as well.

I still say it could be worse :h:
Both me and my son have changed our surnames at different times . Me, because my mum was married twice and it said my mum and half sister's dad was my dad on my birth certificate. Finally changed my surname by Deed Poll at the age of 34, when I realised I was never going to be getting married to anyone and changing my surname that way. It wasn't cheap;cost about £300 I think. Then my son, who is nearly 20, decided he wanted to change his surname. He had his late father's surname, which I was more than happy about as he is close to his father's side of the family and they have been very good to us over the years. But for the last twenty odd years I have been tracing my family tree on my dad's side. My surname is O'Brien. As far as I can tell I am the last of the O'Briens in our family and the name will die out with me. My son was aware of this and a few years ago he told me he would like to keep the O'Brien name alive, [our branch of it anyway] and legally change his surname. I was delighted, but was worried how the in laws would take it. Neither of us wanted them to think it was in any way being disrespectful to the memory of his father. Went to see a solicitor. We told her and said if it could be done asap so that his college certificate being issued to him a few months later would have his new surname on. I sensed the in laws were upset; nobody said anything, but it was just a feeling I got. So I suggested a compromise to my son. That he keep his father's surname and then add mine as well, as a double barrelled surname. He actually didn't want to keep his dad's surname at all. [I suspect it was largely to do with the fact all his mates thought it was an uncool surname and even his own father never liked it much]. Anyway,because he was under 18 it took a bit of rigmarole to do it. Firstly, the solicitor had to place an advertisement in a Belfast newspaper [don't know why it was Belfast; we live 40 miles away]. The ad asked if anyone objected to the change of surname to register their opposition at our solicitor's. Like who on earth that we knew is going to be reading the small print in that particular newspaper on that particular day and object to my son changing his surname?? Anyway that, here in N.Ireland is the law. Don't know if it's the same across the water. Then we had to wait 28 days to see if anybody came forward with an objection. Quelle surprise, nobody did. As he was under 18 only a temporary change of surname was allowed. A magistrate in the local court had to oversee it and we had to both be in attendance. It was the High Court in Armagh, and we had to be there at nine o'clock sharp. [I don't have a car]. In the end had to hang around the court house for over two hours with some very dodgy looking people. We went in. He spoke to me and asked me why and said it was unusual etc. Then I had to wait outside and everyone else had to leave the room, the ushers,etc. He spoke to my son on his own for about 15 minutes. I suppose it was only right to make sure he wasn't being coerced into it. Then I had to go in again and a few more words were said. Then the solicitor told us it had been granted . Had to wait about a week for it to come through. Then when he turned 18 in Feb 2015 we had to go back to the solicitor with her fee of £350. After that it was a straightforward formality, as the main work with the High Court had already been done. The Deed Poll came through three weeks later; ten official copies of it so he could pass it our to whoever needed one in the future. Such a rigmarole, but it was important he got it changed over, in our opinion, before his BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma certificate was issued, and all future important documents. His 2 separate GCSE certificates, one AQA and one CEA, show his old surname. I wouldn't want to have to go through it all again !

Quick Reply

Latest