The Student Room Group

Accounting and finance applicants

Now that the UCAS deadline has been for 2017 applicants I was thinking I would start an accounting and finance applicants forum.
Last summer I achieved an A in Maths (As level), A in Religious Study (As level) and an A in Sociology (As level). My predicted grades are A* (sociology) A*(Welsh Baccalaureate) A (Maths) and A (Religious Studies).

I have applied for the following universities:
Liverpool University
University of Birmingham
Cardiff University
Swansea University
LSE

So far I have had 2 offers: AAB from Cardiff and AAA from Swansea. I really want to get into LSE but I am aware that this is really difficult.

Who else has applied for accounting and finance? Have you had any offers?
Original post by eleri.t
Now that the UCAS deadline has been for 2017 applicants I was thinking I would start an accounting and finance applicants forum.
Last summer I achieved an A in Maths (As level), A in Religious Study (As level) and an A in Sociology (As level). My predicted grades are A* (sociology) A*(Welsh Baccalaureate) A (Maths) and A (Religious Studies).

I have applied for the following universities:
Liverpool University
University of Birmingham
Cardiff University
Swansea University
LSE

So far I have had 2 offers: AAB from Cardiff and AAA from Swansea. I really want to get into LSE but I am aware that this is really difficult.

Who else has applied for accounting and finance? Have you had any offers?

I am at Durham, Edinburgh, Sheffield, Dundee and Heriot-Watt. Got all my offers in December ranging from AAB-BBB.
I am a Bristol University Accounting and Finance student and on my 3rd year now. If anyone got any questions, regarding the degree, the career prospects, and anything in general; send them my way.

Also good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by leadheadsmith
I am at Durham, Edinburgh, Sheffield, Dundee and Heriot-Watt. Got all my offers in December ranging from AAB-BBB.

Well done! I really wanted to apply for Heriot-Watt but thought it was too far from home. Good luck with your A levels!
Original post by eleri.t
Well done! I really wanted to apply for Heriot-Watt but thought it was too far from home. Good luck with your A levels!

Cheers, trying to get into Durham (crossing my fingers). Good luck to you too!
Original post by leadheadsmith

Congrats on getting all your offers! :banana:

Remember, if you have any questions about Heriot-Watt feel free to ask us here or head over to our forum :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 6
Predicted AAA
In Economics, History and Philosophy.
Applied to Edinburgh and Durham for Accounting and Finance, and St Andrews for management.
Got offers from York and Exeter both AAB
Original post by walkers38
I am a Bristol University Accounting and Finance student and on my 3rd year now. If anyone got any questions, regarding the degree, the career prospects, and anything in general; send them my way.

Also good luck!

Hi! I am an international student really hoping to study accounting and finance at a top uni like bristol, so I wanted to ask a few questions.
How mathematical is the degree? Is it to the extent of economics?
Honestly, I don't really want to go into accounting, I'm more interested in the finance side, so how are career services in regards to investment banks and other top financial firms?
Also, is the starting salary for accounting and finance graduates as high as other top degrees?
Cheers!
Reply 8
Hi, I have applied for Accounting and Finance and I have recently received all my offers from University of Surrey, Southampton, Nottingham, Kent and Hull. I'm thinking of selecting Surrey as my firm and Hull as my insurance. I need Dist*AB for Surrey and 112Tariff points for Hull. Good luck! Hope everyone gets their offers and have good A level grades :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oliverg1313
Hi! I am an international student really hoping to study accounting and finance at a top uni like bristol, so I wanted to ask a few questions.
How mathematical is the degree? Is it to the extent of economics?
Honestly, I don't really want to go into accounting, I'm more interested in the finance side, so how are career services in regards to investment banks and other top financial firms?
Also, is the starting salary for accounting and finance graduates as high as other top degrees?
Cheers!

1st and 2nd years are mathematical, but in no way as difficult as economics. The maths you will use are mostly basic add/subtract and fractions, ratios etc. All are fairly straightforward. You can pick and choose the courses that are more 'finance' based rather than accounting based.
To be honest, except for Financial Accounting and Management Accounting, other courses are mostly Finance based. Accountancy is just a tool to support the big umbrella 'Finance'.

Career wise, its a very nice degree to have. It opens doors to investment banking, ACA/ACCA qualification with quite a lot of exemptions. If you apply in Big 4 accounting firms, it is high, and investment banks will be considerably higher.

Rather than high starting salary, this degree leads you to higher salary as you progress. Starting salary will be same as engineering degrees, per say, but every year your salary goes up depending on your performance.
Original post by Heriot Watt University
Congrats on getting all your offers! :banana:

Remember, if you have any questions about Heriot-Watt feel free to ask us here or head over to our forum :smile:

Cheers,
Keir

Hi,
I did not apply to Herriot-Watt and I am regretting it deeply. Is the accounting and finance course usually in adjustment/clearing? I would like to try and get in on results day if possible, my predicted grades are AAAB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarah1001
Hi,
I did not apply to Herriot-Watt and I am regretting it deeply. Is the accounting and finance course usually in adjustment/clearing? I would like to try and get in on results day if possible, my predicted grades are AAAB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Sarah,

At this stage we wont know if we will be open for clearing/adjustment, it really depends on how well all our offer holders do in there exams, if they all pass we might be full. Keep your eyes on our website for updates and if you have any questions about HWU, just ask on here.

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 12
1st and 2nd years are mathematical, but in no way as difficult as economics. The maths you will use are mostly basic add/subtract and fractions, ratios etc. All are fairly straightforward. You can pick and choose the courses that are more 'finance' based rather than accounting based.
To be honest, except for Financial Accounting and Management Accounting, other courses are mostly Finance based. Accountancy is just a tool to support the big umbrella 'Finance'.

Career wise, its a very nice degree to have. It opens doors to investment banking, ACA/ACCA qualification with quite a lot of exemptions. If you apply in Big 4 accounting firms, it is high, and investment banks will be considerably higher.

Rather than high starting salary, this degree leads you to higher salary as you progress. Starting salary will be same as engineering degrees, per say, but every year your salary goes up depending on your performance.

Is it much harder to land an IB internship as opposed to B4? I heard Bristol has decent links (deciding between Bristol or Cass Business School) but not sure as A&F will probably seen inferior to Economics so it would be harder to try for IB with an A&F degree. Do you know anyone that managed to land IB internships there with A&F degree or they might be starting at a IB firm after graduation?

Thank you.

Also good luck!

Hello, can i ask for more information about the anf degree like the career prospect? And I want to know about the differences between business, finance and economic programs as i want to be an ibanker in the future so is studying anf suitable for me?

Lots of thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nirm
Is it much harder to land an IB internship as opposed to B4? I heard Bristol has decent links (deciding between Bristol or Cass Business School) but not sure as A&F will probably seen inferior to Economics so it would be harder to try for IB with an A&F degree. Do you know anyone that managed to land IB internships there with A&F degree or they might be starting at a IB firm after graduation?

Thank you.

IB are definitely harder because there is just so much competition and the application processes are more rigorous since the starting salaries are really high. If you want to go into banking, accounting isn't really a degree I would recommend.
You should choose 'Economics and finance'. And yeah, you are right, Bristol has BIS (Banking and Investment Society) and lots of help and workshops are available to hone your career prospects.
Original post by Tiffany1025
Hello, can i ask for more information about the anf degree like the career prospect? And I want to know about the differences between business, finance and economic programs as i want to be an ibanker in the future so is studying anf suitable for me?

Lots of thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will answer your main question first, if you want to be a banker you should choose 'Economics and finance'. That, in my opinion, is the best subject. Pure Economics degree is sometimes too theoretical. 'Finance' is what is most useful. So a mix degree is the best.

Accounting = auditing; working in big 4; looking at financial statements; budgeting etc.
Finance = derivatives; hedge funds; share valuation models
Economics = theory behind all e.g. demand-supply, ; (I dont do economics so I have minimal knowledge except that I hate my first year tiny module on it).
Reply 16
Anyone going for accounting and finance to durham?
Original post by simraz
Anyone going for accounting and finance to durham?

I am!! But i just deffered so i could spend the full three years on the main site since it is moving next year
Reply 18
Original post by Blue-monk
I am!! But i just deffered so i could spend the full three years on the main site since it is moving next year

Thats cool. I wasn't too sure about living in Stockton either but I guess that first year will pass by

Also good luck!

Hey I was wondering if you could tell me what the timetable is like? Like each year how many days roughly are you in uni?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending