The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
It depends which assessment you did, and whether it was the scaled or raw mark.

It was the scaled mark for section 2. Many thanks in advance
Original post by Student1256
Oh that's fine, what about section 1 only? If you answer in scaled marks could you please specify what the scale mark would translate to? thank you :biggrin:

In section 1 only, it was 4 (as previously posted). That will translate to different marks in different subjects, and for different options.
Original post by WhiteScythe
It was the scaled mark for section 2. Many thanks in advance

Then I'm afraid I can only assume you were not being shown an overall assessment mark, but a mark for an individual question; section 2 marks were not distributed on the scale 1-9, and I'm not aware that we interviewed anyone with a raw mark total of 8.
Original post by Justanothermum
Hi.

As the parent of an applicant I would like to say that both my son and I have been very impressed with the admissions procedure. It has been incredibly thorough and, regardless of the eventual outcome (he is a re-interviewee), my son has gained a great deal from the experience. In particular we have been impressed by the interview process. My son is naturally shy and so the interview stage was always going to be tricky - particularly as he had started to really care about the outcome and was extremely nervous - but every effort was made to put him at ease at all his interviews and he left each one with the impression that his interviewers had genuinely wanted him to do well.

A couple of things might be worth noting as feedback. In contrast to an earlier poster, my son found section 2 of the NSAA very different from the sample paper in terms of time constraints. That is, he completed the sample questions within the time and scored highly (he asked his teacher to check them) but in the real thing he barely had time to complete half of section 2. This probably simply shows that these tests are always subjective but I thought it worth mentioning.

Secondly, the College where my son was re-interviewed had Student helpers guiding the candidates and chatting to them in the waiting room whereas his original preference College did not. He found that chatting to the current students really helped to calm his nerves before his re-interview and he was better able to ‘be himself’.

Thank you and the other AT’s for contributing to TSR - your advice and support has been invaluable to students (and anxious parents!) Thanks as well to @jnell and @vincrows for all their sage words.

Thank you for both these helpful points. For what it is worth, your son was not the only applicant who found the time constraints on section 2 of the NSAA challenging, and we did take this into account!
Then I'm afraid I can only assume you were not being shown an overall assessment mark, but a mark for an individual question; section 2 marks were not distributed on the scale 1-9, and I'm not aware that we interviewed anyone with a raw mark total of 8.

Fine, there was a yellow piece of paper with a box on it and an eight in it. I assumed that was for section 2 but clearly it wasn't.
Original post by sanchit117
I felt the admissions process was fairly smooth on the whole. I too would like to see the results of pre-interview assessments; I understand the second part is hard to standardise across the university as each college does it separately; however would it not be possible for the section one marks, which are multiple choice, to be released?

I'm not sure if all applicants were emailed early but I myself got the email quite early which I liked - this was good because it meant I was not waiting too long to find out the result, and especially because my post arrived two days late!

I liked the communication with the admissions team - the responses were prompt and helpful while also quite nice :smile:

However, I do have to ask; were there any Christ offers that were not A*A*A or above this year? Even for subjects that have standard offers of A*AA Christ's seem to have given double A*

Thank you :smile:

Further to my last post, I have done a bit of poking around TSR and it seems to me that a number of Christ's offer-holders are actually exaggerating the difficulty of the offer they received. I've seen one or two claims of offers that are significantly higher than any we actually gave in the subjects concerned. So you should perhaps take some of these claims with a pinch of salt...
Further to my last post, I have done a bit of poking around TSR and it seems to me that a number of Christ's offer-holders are actually exaggerating the difficulty of the offer they received. I've seen one or two claims of offers that are significantly higher than any we actually gave in the subjects concerned. So you should perhaps take some of these claims with a pinch of salt...

Oh dear...
Fine, there was a yellow piece of paper with a box on it and an eight in it. I assumed that was for section 2 but clearly it wasn't.

Yellow is usually the paper on which we record the interview scores, if that helps?
Yellow is usually the paper on which we record the interview scores, if that helps?

It certainly can't have been the interview score as I saw it at the start of the interview! It must've been a pre-interview assessment mark of some description. Thanks for all your help
It certainly can't have been the interview score as I saw it at the start of the interview! It must've been a pre-interview assessment mark of some description. Thanks for all your help

Ah, yes, there is a box at the top of the yellow form in which assessors can record a pre-interview mark, based on the overall academic record. So they clearly liked you, as it's out of 10 :smile:
Ah, yes, there is a box at the top of the yellow form in which assessors can record a pre-interview mark, based on the overall academic record. So they clearly liked you, as it's out of 10 :smile:

Does that take the pre-interview assessment into account?
Does that take the pre-interview assessment into account?

Usually, yes.
In section 1 only, it was 4 (as previously posted). That will translate to different marks in different subjects, and for different options.

What would it translate to for NSAA math chemistry and physics sections? I believe this would be the most common combination.
Usually, yes.

Thanks for everything. One last question, my offer has chemistry specified as being one of the two subjects I must get an A* in. Physics, a module which I will certainly be taking next year (if I meet my offer conditions) is not mentioned. Does this mean that I just have to finish the physics course? And more generally for science am I required to pass the practical assessment? (There was no mention of it in the letter from Christ's)
Thanks for everything. One last question, my offer has chemistry specified as being one of the two subjects I must get an A* in. Physics, a module which I will certainly be taking next year (if I meet my offer conditions) is not mentioned. Does this mean that I just have to finish the physics course? And more generally for science am I required to pass the practical assessment? (There was no mention of it in the letter from Christ's)

I think these are questions you need to direct formally to the Admissions Office.
I see that TSR members are posting some of their interview scores with eg 8, 8.5, 7, 7.5. I'm curious as to what the four parameters are, given that most people only have 2-3 interviews (depending on department)? Does score 1 = enthusiasm (where you would score eg 8 which is high) for example or similar?
(edited 7 years ago)
As a college, how competitive is Christ's ? I've heard a lot of people have been pooled/rejected anecdotally. Thanks Billy @Christ's Admissions

Wow. that truly is odd. I wonder why they would do that?! I'm guessing you recognised the offer holders by their usernames?

Nonetheless, thank you for your reply :smile:

You mentioned a few messages above that the ECAA will be given particular consideration when improving the tests for the next round (or words to that effect) - why in particular the ECAA?
Hello everyone, congratulations to all who have received offers, commiserations to those who have not and best of luck (and apologies) to those few of you who are still waiting.

Every year we have an internal review of the Admission round at Cambridge and last year my predecessor at Christ's used this forum to elicit general feedback on our process from students who had gone through it. The feedback was very helpful to us in (we hope) improving things, so I wanted to follow his example this year.

I am not in a position to provide feedback on individual applications or say why you didn't get in but rather this is an opportunity for you to say if there are things about the process that might be improved and make comments I can then pass on. I will also try to explain some things which might seem odd about the process.

The thread will be open for a week and I will then report back to my colleagues with good points. Thank you for your points and also for the applications.

Thank you very much for doing this thread!

I'd say that for me, the whole process has gone very smoothly, so I have nothing at all to complain about myself. However, I read about some EU applicants for Caius being told they had to wait for a letter, while both their own website and the admissions tutor from Murray Edwards had confirmed that all international applicants would receive an email too--so perhaps that's something that could be looked into for next year.
Original post by panic!intheexam
Hi, I have 2 questions to ask:
Firstly, do you know the average number of A*s for history of art applicants?
Secondly, if I take A level maths a year early and get an A*, what impact will this have on an application?
Thanks in advance

I don't, I'm afraid, and History of Art is a very small subject so any stats would need to be treated with caution. From my experience, however, most applicants have in the range A*AA-A*A*A.

An A* in A-level Maths would certainly impress any Admissions Tutor. It might or might not mean that a subsequent offer was based on two rather than three A-levels - that would probably depend on the subjects you were taking, and is worth checking with any college to which you are considering making an application.

Latest

Trending

Trending