The Student Room Group

Post-interview waiting for employer contact...

I have just had a first interview for a role on Monday, which I feel was positive. It entailed a 45 minute exam/test type paper which was refreshing to do. I found it much easier than even presenting my design work.

I guess since I left uni about a year ago I'm still very academically inclined so I found that easy and completed the test satisfactorily.

The interviewers were both very laid back, the company was fairly 'young blooded' and very contemporary as opposed to other interviews I had.

Interviewer was chatty and it was all very informal. He talked actually more than me and that made me less anxious- I felt I built a rapport with the interviewers.

There were a few nerve wracking moments where I felt I answered incorrectly but otherwise I was very relaxed.

I did find it odd they didn't want to see my portfolio, but then they did explain that there would be a 2nd interview where they'll review then.

I'm told that if I'm successful in securing a 2nd interview it'll be with company director.

They said I should hear back in a few/couple days, as they said in interview they don't like people having to wait and go through ridiculous processes for a job.

How long should I give them before i loose all hope?
Original post by royal1990
I have just had a first interview for a role on Monday, which I feel was positive. It entailed a 45 minute exam/test type paper which was refreshing to do. I found it much easier than even presenting my design work.

I guess since I left uni about a year ago I'm still very academically inclined so I found that easy and completed the test satisfactorily.

The interviewers were both very laid back, the company was fairly 'young blooded' and very contemporary as opposed to other interviews I had.

Interviewer was chatty and it was all very informal. He talked actually more than me and that made me less anxious- I felt I built a rapport with the interviewers.

There were a few nerve wracking moments where I felt I answered incorrectly but otherwise I was very relaxed.

I did find it odd they didn't want to see my portfolio, but then they did explain that there would be a 2nd interview where they'll review then.

I'm told that if I'm successful in securing a 2nd interview it'll be with company director.

They said I should hear back in a few/couple days, as they said in interview they don't like people having to wait and go through ridiculous processes for a job.

How long should I give them before i loose all hope?

I would give it until the middle of next week and then send a polite reminder if you haven't heard by then.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
I would give it until the middle of next week and then send a polite reminder if you haven't heard by then.

Generally speaking, I usually assume that I havent been successful if I dont hear back within a day or two.

But usually thats meant I wasnt selectes, so maybe them taking their time is a good thing.

I just hate it when they dont contact you ag all
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by royal1990
Generally speaking, I usually assume that I havent been successful if I dont hear back within a day or two.

But usually thats meant I wasnt selectes, so maybe them taking their time is a good thing.

I just hate it when they dont contact you ag all

A day or two it too quick to write things off unless it is the final round, ie you are down to the last 3 or 4.

In the first round, an employer might interview 10-12 candidates. Even with a full day, doing nothing else, you can only get through about 6, so 12 is two full days. Then you have to review what you heard, read and saw, but you also have to catch up with the fact that you've effectively been out of the office for 2 days, so there is the real day job to catch up with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending