The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@Rattie I sent my UCAS apps off in October and I haven't had any decisions from anywhere either! I feel your pain :biggrin:
Reply 21
Hi

I submitted my UCAS application on the 5th of January and I got an offer from UEA for Accounting & Finance + Year abroad a few days later, so it really depends on your individual circumstances as some people take longer to assess than others.

FYI I am also doing an Access qualification.
I have had one offer but nothing but confirmations from the other 4 that they have my application, to be honest I got an offer from the one I least wanted an offer from. :/ But fingers crossed - good luck also! I'm sure your offers will come in soon :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Rattie
I prefer exam- and essay-based assessment. As an autistic person, preparing and presenting a group presentation is my idea of the worst possible level of hell :biggrin:

I have (high fuctioning) autism and you know what as long as I have researched i'm absolutely fine giving presentations in lectures and seminars. After a couple of times it becomes second nature. Group chit-chat on the other hand is like hell :-D
Reply 24
Original post by Azaelia
I have (high fuctioning) autism and you know what as long as I have researched i'm absolutely fine giving presentations in lectures and seminars. After a couple of times it becomes second nature. Group chit-chat on the other hand is like hell :-D

Presentations, I can do. Group presentations? I'm out of that door faster than you can say "Fail" :biggrin:
Reply 25
Thanks for everyone's good wishes and good luck to all you other waiters, too!
Original post by Rattie
I prefer exam- and essay-based assessment. As an autistic person, preparing and presenting a group presentation is my idea of the worst possible level of hell :biggrin:

Are you autistic? I have Asperger's syndrome :smile:

And... on the late offers:
Maybe try ringing them and get an idea of when they will post admissions :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by LisaNikita
Are you autistic? I have Asperger's syndrome :smile:

And... on the late offers:
Maybe try ringing them and get an idea of when they will post admissions :smile:

My diagnosis is DSM 5 ASD, ICD-10 Childhood Autism. Hello fellow autistic person :h:

If I called them wouldn't they just say words to the effect that my application is in the to-do pile? :biggrin:
Original post by Rattie

The assessments are essay based, i mean...
Don't stress, I've applied to York Exeter and Bham too. Got my offer from Exeter a month after my application was sent, got mine from York quite soon after I sent it off. Still waiting for Bham and I applied I'm October so don't worry. I emailed UoB and they said that they were holding applications until the January deadline and I can expect to hear back by March. Don't worry bevause I got the same email about being sent to admissions tutor too
Reply 30
Original post by Zozaaaa
Don't stress, I've applied to York Exeter and Bham too. Got my offer from Exeter a month after my application was sent, got mine from York quite soon after I sent it off. Still waiting for Bham and I applied I'm October so don't worry. I emailed UoB and they said that they were holding applications until the January deadline and I can expect to hear back by March. Don't worry bevause I got the same email about being sent to admissions tutor too

Thanks for passing on the Birmingham info; that's helpful. I wonder why York and Exeter were quicker for you - what department are you?

Original post by Hamo2509
No news is good news - it means your application is still under consideration. It's not like they took one look at your application and rejected you.

I shall wait… as patiently as possible :biggrin:

<sits on itchy Track-checking fingers>
Original post by Rattie
Thanks for passing on the Birmingham info; that's helpful. I wonder why York and Exeter were quicker for you - what department are you?

I shall wait… as patiently as possible :biggrin:

<sits on itchy Track-checking fingers>

I applied for psychology, you probably won't receive offers tomorrow as track is going down for maintenance this weekend and plus the unis have been shut for a few weeks over Christmas. I wouldn't worry too much, if you applied before janauary you should hear back by March latest. In the mean time just go to open days again and choose which one you'd want as your firm and insurance
Original post by Rattie
Derby? Why??

Exactly my thoughts hahaha. Who in their right mind would think "yeh, i'm gonna apply for cambridge, exeter, maybe st. andrew's... OH, I KNOW, Derby would be a great place to go!"
Reply 33
Original post by Zozaaaa
I applied for psychology, you probably won't receive offers tomorrow as track is going down for maintenance this weekend and plus the unis have been shut for a few weeks over Christmas. I wouldn't worry too much, if you applied before janauary you should hear back by March latest. In the mean time just go to open days again and choose which one you'd want as your firm and insurance

Thanks, I didn't know track was going to be down this weekend. I guess that means I'm going to have to get some actual studying done instead :biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by Rattie
That is a very good point; although I keep being told again and again that Access is well-recognised qualification, admissions people and subject tutors at open days I went to often just looked at me a little blankly when I said "Access to HE"…

I did an Access course, then undergrad at Birmingham and masters at UCL. In my time, I don't think I met any other students that had done Access to HE.

Some of the offers I received didn't really fit with the A-Level requirements for the course, i.e. AAA course which made me an offer needing 30 credits at merit or above and an ABB course which wanted 30 credits at distinction, rest at merit.
This was me up until yesterday when I got my first offer and I'm warning you now: it's not possible to stop at just one. If you get one it just makes you thirstier. You need more. Your Track refreshing doubles.
Reply 36
Original post by josh_v
Some of the offers I received didn't really fit with the A-Level requirements for the course, i.e. AAA course which made me an offer needing 30 credits at merit or above and an ABB course which wanted 30 credits at distinction, rest at merit.

Most of the universities seem to have standardised somewhat now, I think - all the AAB-ABB type places I applied or thought about applying to wanted D30 M15. Cambridge's typical offer is D45, as are Warwick's and Durham's, iirc, but UCL is an oddity - on their website they list their typical Access offer as D23 M22, which isn't even an actual possible result :biggrin: (so if I got a UCL offer like that I would orgasm with happiness because I already have D24 and it would really take the pressure off!) Most of the places my friends are applying to ask for either D30 M15, M45 for mid-range, or just an overall pass for the unis that generally give low A level offers.

There are still some oddities out there, I agree.
Reply 37
Original post by sinfonietta
This was me up until yesterday when I got my first offer and I'm warning you now: it's not possible to stop at just one. If you get one it just makes you thirstier. You need more. Your Track refreshing doubles.

Oh dear :biggrin:
Many Unis will now put applications on Hold until they can judge what the Firm-up rate is - ie. how many more offers they need to make to meet their targets - and will therefore make remaining offers very gradually as that becomes clearer. You may have to wait until March/April to get a decision. And this will include folk who applied in October - it isn't just those who applied in January.
Reply 39
Original post by returnmigrant
Many Unis will now put applications on Hold until they can judge what the Firm-up rate is - ie. how many more offers they need to make to meet their targets - and will therefore make remaining offers very gradually as that becomes clearer. You may have to wait until March/April to get a decision. And this will include folk who applied in October - it isn't just those who applied in January.

This makes me feel sad :frown:

It is, however, very useful information - thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending