The Student Room Group

Donald Trump becomes president today

Scroll to see replies

Baron Trump playing peek-a-boo.

Original post by anarchism101
What are you talking about?

America includes the countries in North and South America, i.e. Mexico, Peru etc. so the United States of America (USA) would have been correct rather than America as people of those countries didn't/couldn't vote.
[scroll] BYE OBAMA, THERE'S A NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN :danceboy:[/scroll]

[SCROLL] SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD PLAN! :congrats: [/SCROLL]

Original post by clarkey500
America includes the countries in North and South America, i.e. Mexico, Peru etc. so the United States of America (USA) would have been correct rather than America as people of those countries didn't/couldn't vote.

You're just being pedantic, usually when someone says 'America' they're referring to the US.
Original post by Laeliakiwi
[SCROLL] SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD PLAN! :congrats: [/SCROLL]

Your avatar perfectly sums up my reaction to the video :smile:

I really don't see what this has to do with what I said. I was referring to the fact that Trump became president as a result of the states' choice through the electoral college, rather than the people's choice as such (as he lost the popular vote).
Original post by CyclePath
Your avatar perfectly sums up my reaction to the video :smile:

Of course, so pathetic! :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Original post by CyclePath
You're just being pedantic, usually when someone says 'America' they're referring to the US.

I corrected myself as someone brought up the fact that I said the "American people chose Trump" rather than 'the states' (a.k.a USA) voted Trump.
I'm no fan of Trump. Trust me. But he was elected and moaning/complaining really doesn't change anything.. he may not have masses of experience but a lot of the people around him do. I'm dreading criticism left, right and centre over the next 4-8 years most ngl

I really don't see what this has to do with what I said. I was referring to the fact that Trump became president as a result of the states' choice through the electoral college, rather than the people's choice as such (as he lost the popular vote).

The fact that he got less votes is irrelevant; the system that the USA uses resulted with a Trump victory therefor the people of the USA chose Trump.

As comparison, the UK uses a slightly different system; we chose the Conservative party and David Cameron to win the last election with a majority - yet the majority of the people didn't (I believe they only got around 30% of the total vote). The SNP, for example, got more seats than they would have had if it was proportional and based on votes and UKIP got less.

That's the system, albeit not the best possible system, but the one that's used.
The fact that he got less votes is irrelevant; the system that the USA uses resulted with a Trump victory therefor the people of the USA chose Trump.

So if the US still used the version of the electoral college used in its early years of independence, where the majority of electors were unelected, you think it would still be accurate to say that the people of the USA chose Trump?

As comparison, the UK uses a slightly different system

No, it uses a completely different system - the US is a presidential system, while the UK is a parliamentary system. The MPs serve a function other than determining the executive, and can in theory alter that executive at any time. The US electoral college exists solely to select the President and cannot revoke its selection afterwards.

I'm unaware of any other democracy operating under a presidential system which doesn't directly elect its president by popular vote (though some require a majority through a runoff), apart from the USA.
[video="youtube;q54VyCpXDH8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54VyCpXDH8[/video]
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
[video="youtube;q54VyCpXDH8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54VyCpXDH8[/video]

Ha ha ha!

What a joke video. :smile: Utterly risible.

In the immortal words of those nietzschean thinkers, Bikers for Trump:

"Suck it up, buttercup." :biggrin:
[scroll] WHY SO BUTTHURT? :bunny:[/scroll]

If they felt so ashamed to be American they'd have left the country. Can't be too ashamed if they're still there, can they?
So if the US still used the version of the electoral college used in its early years of independence, where the majority of electors were unelected, you think it would still be accurate to say that the people of the USA chose Trump?

No, it uses a completely different system - the US is a presidential system, while the UK is a parliamentary system. The MPs serve a function other than determining the executive, and can in theory alter that executive at any time. The US electoral college exists solely to select the President and cannot revoke its selection afterwards.

I'm unaware of any other democracy operating under a presidential system which doesn't directly elect its president by popular vote (though some require a majority through a runoff), apart from the USA.

As I'm not American (in either sense of the word), I'm not as qualified to talk fully about the old version used in their early years.

I did not mean parliamentary or presidential system (that is obvious); I meant voting system. For example, the new system, that will be used in the UK in the next election, is that each constituency is by population; the people vote and for each constituency gets a seat in parliament. It is therefore possible that the party which gets the most number of seats will not win - this is what is similar in both systems.

It is possible in the UK albeit for a Prime Minister.

I should add that I am not a fan of either Clinton or Trump (would have preferred Bernie but he didn't get to the presidential vote) but all I am saying is that people should give him a chance rather than slate him and wish for unrest and war. I am friends, on Facebook, with a black American (as in USA) woman and she believes the same thing.

Pointless post.

It is the American system, end of. Both sides work within it.

If the discredited, failed Liberals wanted to win the Presidency they should have put up a better candidate than crooked Hillary.

And offered some hope to the rust belt Democrat States of Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio which voted for the liberal black dude, Obama, the last two times..
Original post by Len Goodman
If they felt so ashamed to be American they'd have left the country. Can't be too ashamed if they're still there, can they?

I was genuinely about to caption it "Off to Canada...." but these people just want to showcase their tears, nothing of substance.
I was genuinely about to caption it "Off to Canada...." but these people just want to showcase their tears, nothing of substance.

Yes, it's just a case of liberals attention seeking, as per usual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending