The Student Room Group

Question for guys regarding short skirts.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeCroissant
Should I be detecting any sarcasm here? :tongue:

Haha why would I see a girl in a sexual way though if she wears a skirt?:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Weird question to ask.
If a female is walking down the street wearing a short skirt (i.e the skirt comes down to half way between her knees and her bum) with tights, do you look at her in a sexual way?
When I wear my skater skirt and am walking somewhere, I often have men slowing down their cars when they get near me and they stare at my legs, which makes me feel uneasy. Then, as they drive away, they turn their heads around and continue looking at me.

No. End of.
If a female is walking down the street wearing a short skirt (i.e the skirt comes down to half way between her knees and her bum) with tights, do you look at her in a sexual way?
When I wear my skater skirt and am walking somewhere, I often have men slowing down their cars when they get near me and they stare at my legs, which makes me feel uneasy. Then, as they drive away, they turn their heads around and continue looking at me.
Your clothes are an expression of your personality, yes, and ultimately your style is entirely your choice. But how you dress is how you present yourself to the world, and if you walk around showing most of your legs, you're saying it's OK to look at them.

In response to your actual question: I don't find it all that attractive to look at, myself. I'd be more likely to stop and look if you were wearing something long and loose; I like to be given a chance to use my imagination.
you shouldn't feel like you need to change what you wear to stop this. men looking at women sexually just because they have legs is disgusting imo. they don't understand how uncomfortable it can make women feel and it's really gross, especially when they're complete strangers and a lot older than you?! lots of the people on here need to wake up and realise they're not entitled to make a woman (or girl) feel uncomfortable or sexualise her just because she's wearing a skirt... women don't wear skirts because they're looking for attention, or at least i don't. i wear them because i like the way they look and i like to like the way i look. i expect to be able to venture outside without feeling weird about it because men can't control themselves when they see some legs.

the sad reality of life is that we will have to keep dealing with this until boys get properly educated on how to respect girls. which may take a while.
Original post by sofia00
you shouldn't feel like you need to change what you wear to stop this. men looking at women sexually just because they have legs is disgusting imo. they don't understand how uncomfortable it can make women feel and it's really gross, especially when they're complete strangers and a lot older than you?! lots of the people on here need to wake up and realise they're not entitled to make a woman (or girl) feel uncomfortable or sexualise her just because she's wearing a skirt... women don't wear skirts because they're looking for attention, or at least i don't. i wear them because i like the way they look and i like to like the way i look. i expect to be able to venture outside without feeling weird about it because men can't control themselves when they see some legs.

the sad reality of life is that we will have to keep dealing with this until boys get properly educated on how to respect girls. which may take a while.

Do you look at guys with good abs when they have their shirt off? This kind of post is extremely damaging to men's health tbh. There is absolutely nothing wrong, or disrespectful about showing sexual interest. If a girl doesn't want to be looked at sexually in a public space, put some bloody clothes on.
Original post by DonaldTrump12
Do you look at guys with good abs when they have their shirt off? This kind of post is extremely damaging to men's health tbh. There is absolutely nothing wrong, or disrespectful about showing sexual interest. If a girl doesn't want to be looked at sexually in a public space, put some bloody clothes on.

hm yeah actually i manage to function as a normal human being by walking down the street on holiday in spain, seeing men without their shirts on and not creepily staring at them as they walk past me. if you want to look at women like that go and find a girlfriend.

also skirt = clothes lol it's not like we walk down the street wearing our underwear... unlike some men who like to walk around with just shorts on down the high street the minute it hits 25 degrees...
Original post by sofia00
hm yeah actually i manage to function as a normal human being by walking down the street on holiday in spain, seeing men without their shirts on and not creepily staring at them as they walk past me. if you want to look at women like that go and find a girlfriend.

also skirt = clothes lol it's not like we walk down the street wearing our underwear... unlike some men who like to walk around with just shorts on down the high street the minute it hits 25 degrees...

Sure
Sure

glad we agree! :smile:
Original post by sofia00
glad we agree! :smile:

It's not everyday I agree with a woman.

I'm just winding you up now :lol:
Original post by Tootles
Your clothes are an expression of your personality, yes, and ultimately your style is entirely your choice. But how you dress is how you present yourself to the world, and if you walk around showing most of your legs, you're saying it's OK to look at them.

So, at the risk of being called a mysogynist and reported for offensive behaviour, I'm going to give you my actual opinion: if you don't want people looking at your legs, why make sure everyone can see them? Seriously. If you don't want people looking at your legs like that, wear longer skirts or wear trousers.

In response to your actual question: I don't find it all that attractive to look at, myself. I'd be more likely to stop and look if you were wearing something long and loose; I like to be given a chance to use my imagination.

accidentally gave you rep and just wanted to make it clear i disagree with you. i just don't see why people find women's legs so interesting. it's not offensive to wear a skirt so why should you be made to feel uncomfortable about it? shouldn't we be telling boys/men to be more respectful?
It's not everyday I agree with a woman.

I'm just winding you up now :lol:

sigh
Reply 32
Original post by sofia00
women don't wear skirts because they're looking for attention, or at least i don't. i wear them because i like the way they look and i like to like the way i look. i expect to be able to venture outside without feeling weird about it because men can't control themselves when they see some legs.

Sorry but I disagree with you. I used to believe what women and feminists said about the way a woman dresses doesn't mean nothing and a man should not make assumptions that she wants attention etc ...but I have approached a lot of women on the streets and what I started noticing was that the ones who were dressed in a downtoearth manner and not showing any flesh or anything were usually noticeably less receptive to being hit on that girls who would dress provocatively

so yes,if a girl is dressed provocative at it's like the middle of the day... chances are she's looking for attention
Original post by sofia00
accidentally gave you rep and just wanted to make it clear i disagree with you. i just don't see why people find women's legs so interesting. it's not offensive to wear a skirt so why should you be made to feel uncomfortable about it? shouldn't we be telling boys/men to be more respectful?
I didn't say it was offensive to wear a short skirt. I said that showing your legs and then *****ing about people looking at them is futile and redundant. If you don't want or are uncomfortable with people looking, don't show.

The literal whole entire point of short skirts and dresses is to show your legs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sofia00
i just don't see why people find women's legs so interesting. it's not offensive to wear a skirt so why should you be made to feel uncomfortable about it? shouldn't we be telling boys/men to be more respectful?

You're not human, are you?
Original post by WoodyMKC
You're not human, are you?

??? i'm a human able to treat other humans with respect
Original post by ANM775
Sorry but I disagree with you. I used to believe what women and feminists said about the way a woman dresses doesn't mean nothing and a man should not make assumptions that she wants attention etc ...but I have approached a lot of women on the streets and what I started noticing was that the ones who were dressed in a downtoearth manner and not showing any flesh or anything were usually noticeably less receptive to being hit on that girls who would dress provocatively

so yes,if a girl is dressed provocative at it's like the middle of the day... chances are she's looking for attention

you go up to random women in the streets and ask them out on a regular basis??!

i can't speak for everyone but i wear skirts and if a random boy approached me i'd probably feel a bit weird about it (depends on their behaviour and the situation... but generally when i'm going to the shops i'm not looking to speak to anyone and what i wear does not change that)
Original post by Tootles
I didn't say it was offensive to wear a short skirt. I said that showing your legs and then *****ing about people looking at them is futile and redundant. If you don't want or are uncomfortable with people looking, don't show.

The literal whole entire point of short skirts and dresses is to show your legs.

no? the whole entire point of short skirts and dresses is that they cool you down in hot weather/they come in nice patterns/they match well with the rest of your outfit/etc. i might like some skirts because they make my legs look longer but at no point am i thinking, 'i hope lots of men look at my legs today'. i'm just thinking 'wow, i love this skirt, the colour really suits me and i feel confident'. i still baffles me why men find legs so interesting.

Reminds me of the time I was wearing shorts and a crop top and an Asian guy asked me for sex and said that he would pay me...cut a long story short, I'm now £150 richer.

Jk but that's disgusting. Just because I'm wearing shorts that means I'm a prostitute??
So you'd see pretty much ANY female in a sexual way if she was wearing this outfit?
Even those who you wouldn't normally find attractive? I.e. if you're usually into sporty girls but then there's a nerdy girl wearing a short skirt and tights, would you see her differently?

My answer would have to be no, if I didn't find you attractive I wouldn't glint an eyeball, if I did find you attractive I'd take a quick glance, but not in a completely sexual manner, and it wouldn't make a difference what you were wearing, if you were in jeans or a skirt. (if that made any sense)

However I will say with a short skirt people will tend to think more sexually towards you, why do you think people wear short dresses and skirts out clubbing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending