The Student Room Group

Just passed but insurance is so expensive

Just passed on Friday and purchased a Toyota Yaris 2003. Been searching everywhere and the cheapest is 1500 for insurance with a black box which I don't want but without its way over 2000. I can't afford these prices. Any help is appreciated. I've tried added my dad to my insurance which gave these prices
Reply 1
Your best bet is with a black box, why don't you want one? Unfortunately you're a high risk for having an accident and claiming, so it will be really high for a while.
Original post by negatron
Just passed on Friday and purchased a Toyota Yaris 2003. Been searching everywhere and the cheapest is 1500 for insurance with a black box which I don't want but without its way over 2000. I can't afford these prices. Any help is appreciated. I've tried added my dad to my insurance which gave these prices

Suck it up, I'm afraid. We've all been in the same boat, and the first year just is expensive. So long as you've done the usual price comparison stuff and not made a simple mistake with the quotations (e.g. listing the car details wrongly if you've entered them manually) then there's not really much else you can do to reduce the premium.
Original post by ax12
Your best bet is with a black box, why don't you want one? Unfortunately you're a high risk for having an accident and claiming, so it will be really high for a while.

Because a lot of people (myself included) don't really want a snooping device fitted which is going to follow your every move in the car and send the data to a server somewhere
Theres really not alot you can do, first year driving IS expensive.. surely you looked at the prices of insurance before getting the car...
Reply 5
Original post by Jackieox
Theres really not alot you can do, first year driving IS expensive.. surely you looked at the prices of insurance before getting the car...

We did look at the insurance, but then realise it was a black box insurance. Will i need to pay for the black box monthly? Or just the insurance?
We did look at the insurance, but then realise it was a black box insurance. Will i need to pay for the black box monthly? Or just the insurance?

The monthly quote will be all in, including the box and the insurance but read the policy terms carefully as they're so intrusive!
Reply 7
The monthly quote will be all in, including the box and the insurance but read the policy terms carefully as they're so intrusive!

Yeah just seen the quote from confused.com and ab insurer said the premium won't increase and no curfews which is good?

Check different levels of cover and see which works out cheaper. Fully comp can sometimes work out the same price or cheaper than third party fire and theft (it happened to me).
Try looking at the cheaper companies websites directly as its usually cheaper to go through them directly rather than through the comparison site.
Check companies that arent on comparison sites such as aviva, direct line and churchill.
Try paying for it annually if possible as monthly works out more expensive.
Try adding someone else as a named driver (e.g your mum) as well as your dad to see if that brings it down any more. Or try your mum instead of your dad. Sounds a bit mad but some named drivers bring it down more than others. For example my mum makes my insurance go up for some unknown reason whereas my dad makes it go down.
Original post by ax12

They are rubbish.
Also they arent always viable for some drivers with the mileage limits/curfews that some of them impose. Especally as some young drivers need them for work/studies etc.

I had black box in my first year, cost me £1400 to insure my crappy car but I did my year and then my insurance went down to £800 in the second year with no box and breakdown cover included. If you can get the pennies together and manage to get through the first year things get better.

If it helps too, I passed when I was 21 and I'm looking at renewals now on a 1.2 litre (my other car was a 1 litre) at around £750 age 23 with two years no claims (thats comprehensive cover with breakdown included), so it's gone up a little with the extra engine umph but not by hundreds of pounds, it's starting to settle down alot.

Every year is expensive, but in the 1st year, your insurance company would like your organs before you ruin them in a crash.

Original post by Anonymous
I had black box in my first year, cost me £1400 to insure my crappy car but I did my year and then my insurance went down to £800 in the second year with no box and breakdown cover included. If you can get the pennies together and manage to get through the first year things get better.

If it helps too, I passed when I was 21 and I'm looking at renewals now on a 1.2 litre (my other car was a 1 litre) at around £750 age 23 with two years no claims (thats comprehensive cover with breakdown included), so it's gone up a little with the extra engine umph but not by hundreds of pounds, it's starting to settle down alot.

Heads up on the "breakdown included". I once had that and needed to get towed to a garage. Had to pay the breakdown driver over £100 cash as there was a 10 mile clause in the free breakdown cover. This was not pointed out to me when I took out the policy.

I got it back in the end tho. Come renewal time I rang up the company and told them that if they didnt knock off £100 on my renewal to compensate for ****ing me over I would go elsewhere. They knocked £80 off my renewal and added 3 months cover for free (totalling a 15 month period, god knows if that still only counted as 1 year NCD). I accepted. Only I cant remember the name of that company so as to avoid it.
Original post by Laomedeia
Every year is expensive, but in the 1st year, your insurance company would like your organs before you ruin them in a crash.

My first year driving (ie..this year) cost me £800 with breakdown cover for three people business insurance, no blackbox.. i guess it depends on what insurer you go with and also what car you have..

Heads up on the "breakdown included". I once had that and needed to get towed to a garage. Had to pay the breakdown driver over £100 cash as there was a 10 mile clause in the free breakdown cover. This was not pointed out to me when I took out the policy.

I got it back in the end tho. Come renewal time I rang up the company and told them that if they didnt knock off £100 on my renewal to compensate for ****ing me over I would go elsewhere. They knocked £80 off my renewal and added 3 months cover for free (totalling a 15 month period, god knows if that still only counted as 1 year NCD). I accepted. Only I cant remember the name of that company so as to avoid it.

Ive found through doing research that its usually cheaper to take out breakdown cover separately than to add it onto your insurance anyway.
Original post by Emma:-)
Ive found through doing research that its usually cheaper to take out breakdown cover separately than to add it onto your insurance anyway.

Yeah thats what I have been doing ever since. Being tucked up has taught me one thing, free stuff is *******s. If you really need something that bad its better to buy it than get a free version. Products are free for a reason. That reason is because they're schitt.
Yeah thats what I have been doing ever since. Being tucked up has taught me one thing, free stuff is *******s. If you really need something that bad its better to buy it than get a free version. Products are free for a reason. That reason is because they're schitt.

I agree.
My manager at a nursery i used to work at had the same problem- the insurance on the nursery mini bus came with breakdown cover. Then when it wouldnt start after a day out with the school holiday club, she had called the phone number given with the cover, but couldnt even get through. Luckily a parent was a mechanic got it towed it to his place and sorted it. I dread to think what she said on the phone when she phoned the insurance the next day to complain about their shi**y breakdown cover.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending