The Student Room Group

Reference for A-Levels at college?

Hi all,

I'm going to be applying to redo A-Levels as an adult starting this year. The college I'm going to be applying for, however, asks for a good reference on top of certain GCSE grades.

Obviously the GCSE grades is to be expected, but I'm a bit concerned by the reference part. I've been out of school for almost 3 years now, and I haven't had any contact with teachers or the like, so I'm concerned to as to what a "good reference" would be considered as, and who they would want it to come from. I imagine it would be a teacher preferably, but I'm not certain how I would go about getting one. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Amusing Elk so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by MichaelFitz555
Hi all,

I'm going to be applying to redo A-Levels as an adult starting this year. The college I'm going to be applying for, however, asks for a good reference on top of certain GCSE grades.

Obviously the GCSE grades is to be expected, but I'm a bit concerned by the reference part. I've been out of school for almost 3 years now, and I haven't had any contact with teachers or the like, so I'm concerned to as to what a "good reference" would be considered as, and who they would want it to come from. I imagine it would be a teacher preferably, but I'm not certain how I would go about getting one. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1. Ask the college what they would like to see. Most adults are too long out of school to ask for one there but if you did have a good relationship with any current members of staff they might be willing to help,if they remember you.
2. They may accept a reference from an employer, you will need to find out what they would like the reference to comment on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Thanks for your reply! I thought it seemed a bit quiet but luckily gdunne's post helped and I think I have the answers I need, quality over quantity right?
I'll make sure my next post goes to the right place

Original post by gdunne42
1. Ask the college what they would like to see. Most adults are too long out of school to ask for one there but if you did have a good relationship with any current members of staff they might be willing to help,if they remember you.
2. They may accept a reference from an employer, you will need to find out what they would like the reference to comment on.

Thanks! Having looked deeper into the college, it says right at the end of the application that references are effectively optional for adult students, but they may ask for academic or employment references. Would've saved a lot of time had that not been hidden away!

Quick Reply

Latest