The Student Room Group

Nursing funding for second (third?) degree in Wales

Hello!

In 2011 I went to Sheffield Uni to study English but dropped out in the first month of my second year due to health reasons. Because I dropped out due to health reasons I was given funding to enroll onto an International Relations course at Sussex Uni in 2013 and graduated in 2016. My course was incredible, I learned a lot and has pushed me into wanting to study nursing. I know that funding was available for a second degree if it's a healthcare science, but is that going to still be the same in Wales for 2017/18 entry? Would they reject me because I technically would be enrolling onto a THIRD (rather than second) University course (cant get enough of those degrees...)?

Any help would be much appreciated - I'd love to be a nurse.
Original post by Charlotteasking
Hello!

In 2011 I went to Sheffield Uni to study English but dropped out in the first month of my second year due to health reasons. Because I dropped out due to health reasons I was given funding to enroll onto an International Relations course at Sussex Uni in 2013 and graduated in 2016. My course was incredible, I learned a lot and has pushed me into wanting to study nursing. I know that funding was available for a second degree if it's a healthcare science, but is that going to still be the same in Wales for 2017/18 entry? Would they reject me because I technically would be enrolling onto a THIRD (rather than second) University course (cant get enough of those degrees...)?

Any help would be much appreciated - I'd love to be a nurse.

Wales aren't as yet scrapping NHS bursaries so I think you would be able to get funding, give sfw a call and they should be able to help.
Reply 2
As I understand it, you would get the NHS bursary but not the student maintenance grants or loans.
Same sort of situation, I've recently withdrawn from my second degree as student finance messed up my entitlement.

I was originally given a tuition fee Loan for my second degree because I was on a course that attracted the NHS bursary (the guidelines change every year which is annoying)

Student finance insisted that my previous study wouldn't be taken into account because of this. However 6 weeks after enrolment, they Informed me that they had made a mistake and that I was now liable to pay the university.
With the new guidelines I'm worndering if I can get funding to do an NHS funded course. Taking into account I've technically studied twice.

This is for England, any replies would be appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest